Seahawks drafts over 2012-2021

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Always found it interesting how Dallas proved having the best offensive line doesn’t guarantee winning Championships and now some evidence that even consistent quality drafts don’t.

Hawks run of quality draft classes has seen them sign quite a few 2nd big deals and a few 3rd contracts. With some others that played well enough to get those big deals from other teams. Shows me Championships take great players, team chemistry, luck with injuries and some fortunate timing.

Hopefully they can crush this draft, if they can improve over last years class I think they will have a team that can make that deep run.

Rainger

Reaction score
OH NOOOO this doesn't fit the narrative of the negative nellies on .NET who know sooooo much and say the Hawks have drafted atrociously over the last 10 years. Obviously they will find some flaw to justify their PC derangement syndrome, to "prove" the hawks have drafted terribly since 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mix

Reaction score
The draft is a crap shot, We have beat the house more times than we have lost to it over that span.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
If you take out the 2012 draft (which ranks like #1 in value once in a lifetime) that positional ranking is nowhere near #5.

Just sayin'...
Fine, take out the 2012 draft but add in the 2022 draft. Might even be better than 5!

chrispy

Reaction score
An interesting note from the data:
Seahawks have the lowest "hit rate" in the top 9 or 10 teams at 44.4% but still top 5 in draft success. JS misses more than he hits but still succeeds in top 20% of the league.

I think this makes sense if you think about it. JS has tended to take big risks in the draft and ignore the safe picks. That results in a low "hit rate". But when the risk hits, it results in big upside. This is precisely why evaluating any Seahawk draft information without including all of it (higher rounds or D or O or ...) is very misleading.

JSs recipe has consistently led to frustration in the early rounds and magic in the later rounds resulting in a high level of success overall. After a decade, we should know this and expect it. Is no one expecting a surprise at #5?

toffee

Reaction score
An interesting note from the data:
Seahawks have the lowest "hit rate" in the top 9 or 10 teams at 44.4% but still top 5 in draft success. JS misses more than he hits but still succeeds in top 20% of the league.

I think this makes sense if you think about it. JS has tended to take big risks in the draft and ignore the safe picks. That results in a low "hit rate". But when the risk hits, it results in big upside. This is precisely why evaluating any Seahawk draft information without including all of it (higher rounds or D or O or ...) is very misleading.

JSs recipe has consistently led to frustration in the early rounds and magic in the later rounds resulting in a high level of success overall. After a decade, we should know this and expect it. Is no one expecting a surprise at #5?
#5? two high risk picks, in Jalan Carter or Richardson.

AgentDib

Reaction score
#5? two high risk picks, in Jalan Carter or Richardson.
You wouldn't be that surprised by either though, or would you?

It seems less likely to have a major surprise at #5 overall then at the bottom of the first round or early second round, where there may be 40 players with similar grades depending on who you ask.

Minor surprises that seem possible
- Bijan. If a team was going to take him early, most outsiders would probably guess it was us or the Lions.
- One of the tackles? Not too shocking since we have drafted OT both times we have had a pick this high, and Lucas would be formidable at RG.
- Witherspoon as both an early corner pick and also an atypical type of corner for us.
- Lukas Van Ness or Nolan Smith to fans who forget how often the Seahawks draft based on developmental upside.
- JSN to fans who think Lockett is a slot receiver or that slot receiver isn't that important.

I can't think of a realistic pick at #5 that would be a complete shock, but I guess that's what would make it so surprising.

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is one of those "numbers out of context" moments.

The Cowboys hit all of their home runs on the Oline and secondary but mostly struck out at every other position. New England ignored the draft and sought out undervalued veteran free agents. The Ravens have an eye for Oline, defense, and TE. They got a league MVP with the 32nd pick.

The Seahawks find value at almost every position in every round after the 1st round.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
OH NOOOO this doesn't fit the narrative of the negative nellies on .NET who know sooooo much and say the Hawks have drafted atrociously over the last 10 years. Obviously they will find some flaw to justify their PC derangement syndrome, to "prove" the hawks have drafted terribly since 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The more rational consensus is that they've hit on some, and missed on some.
Their amount of misses in the 1st round in particular is what has held this team back for seasons now.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Always found it interesting how Dallas proved having the best offensive line doesn’t guarantee winning Championships and now some evidence that even consistent quality drafts don’t.

Hawks run of quality draft classes has seen them sign quite a few 2nd big deals and a few 3rd contracts. With some others that played well enough to get those big deals from other teams. Shows me Championships take great players, team chemistry, luck with injuries and some fortunate timing.

Hopefully they can crush this draft, if they can improve over last years class I think they will have a team that can make that deep run.
Good offensive line. Mediocre QB. Average defense. Great recipe for one and done in playoffs.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
You mean like every other team in the NFL.
Not every team. Their lack of good 1st round picks would be one of the main factors why the team couldn't sustain their success from 12-14. They made some head scratching decisions and passed on players that they shouldn't have.

I'm not saying Schneider is perfect, nor is he a bum. But there is a rational middle ground in regards to the past decade of drafting.

Being on one side or the other is silly based on what we know.

Rat

Reaction score
Let it go man. How is dwelling on sh** you can't do a thing about helping?
They just had a phenomenal draft and are about to tear it up again. Enjoy
The topic is our drafts from 2012-22. I'm not sure how the misses aren't relevant.

Once we had to pay everyone we had cheap back in the LOB years, our margin of error decreased significantly. Some of those misses hurt badly.