Seahawks decline Ifedi's option

hawk45

Reaction score
Based on the success Solari had taking Ifedi as an existing player and making him serviceable, I'm more than happy to roll the dice not picking up the Ifedi option and trust solari to replace him when the time comes.

And as others have stated, 10m for Ifedi is nearly inconceivable. You might consider it if the guy was dominant and even then it's rich for RT. But I don't think any team with an OLC not named cable should be paying that kind of money to any position but C and LT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Elemas":3a5moiy3 said:
Not sure on the rules here but, I've read that not picking up his option will allow him to test the market and potentially let us resign him for a lower amount..

Not picking up a 5th year option means the player becomes a UFA.

So sure, Ifedi can go test the market and sign with anyone he wants to.......and I'm sure if he plays well this year Pete and John will talk to his agent on numbers that we're comfortable with.

But IMO even that's a stretch, not picking up Ifedi's option tells you everything Pete and John think about spending cap space on him, even at a lower amount. They'd rather start developing another RT to slide in next year at a much lower cap number.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ifedi has shown improvement under Brown's guidance and leadership but I think we've seen his ceiling. Time to move on.

HawkerD

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":rdod1gfg said:
The sooner they can move on from him, the better. I want to see what Jamarco Jones is capable of.

I think this is the key. I have a feeling that Jones was stashed away last year as so not to make him available via a practice squad pick up. I would not be surprised if JJ is the starting right tackle out of camp.

sutz

Reaction score
Aros":153nwr2b said:
Ifedi has shown improvement under Brown's guidance and leadership but I think we've seen his ceiling. Time to move on.
I'm not so sure it is definitively "time to move on" but the price to take the option is too high for him, so I don't have a problem letting him play out year 4. I suspect they may make him an offer, but not at LT rates, for sure. If he gets pissed off at this, so be it. With Fant and Jones in the wings, we're not desperate at the position, I think.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
The 2020 line is still very much up in the air. I've posted something like this before, but while the best interior OL can often play until mid or late 30's it is very rare for pro bowl tackles where agility matters more. The average retirement age of the players below is 33 years old. Duane Brown will be 34 (2019), 35 (2020) and 36 (2021) over the remaining three years of his contract here.

20 Pro bowl tackles - oldest playing Age
Walter Jones - 34
Anthony Munoz - 34
Orlando Pace - 34
Jonathan Ogden - 33
Joe Thomas - 33
Tony Jones - 34
Leon Searcy - 30
Erik Williams - 33
Bruce Armstrong - 35
Lincoln Kennedy - 32
Willie Anderson - 33
Tarik Glenn - 30
Marvel Smith - 30
Willie Roaf - 35
Tony Boselli - 29
Richmond Webb - 35
Gary Zimmerman - 36
Rayfield Wright - 34
Ron Yary - 35
Dan Dierdorf - 34

That's not to say that it's impossible for Duane Brown to play through 2021 but it would be unusual. The only pro bowler to do so from the above list was Zimmerman who the Vikings moved to RT for much of his final season.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Cable purge continues. Looks like there will be only one Cable lineman on the 2020 team with Britt or Pocic as the center. One of the many blunders along the Oline was not keeping Ifedi at guard. He is an NFL guard, he is a healthy Fluker and his cost would have been lower.

Jville

Reaction score
It seems to me that with the doubling down emphasis on the interior line, this is a wait an see year at tackle. For continuity, the front office can look forward to biding on both Ifedi and Fant for 2020 after gathering information on their 2019 season.

All-in-all an advantageous in house seat on the continuing development of both players.

knownone

Reaction score
AgentDib":mbro94rd said:
The 2020 line is still very much up in the air. I've posted something like this before, but while the best interior OL can often play until mid or late 30's it is very rare for pro bowl tackles where agility matters more. The average retirement age of the players below is 33 years old. Duane Brown will be 34 (2019), 35 (2020) and 36 (2021) over the remaining three years of his contract here.

Walter Jones - 34
Anthony Munoz - 34
Orlando Pace - 34
Jonathan Ogden - 33
Joe Thomas - 33
Tony Jones - 34
Leon Searcy - 30
Erik Williams - 33
Bruce Armstrong - 35
Lincoln Kennedy - 32
Willie Anderson - 33
Tarik Glenn - 30
Marvel Smith - 30
Willie Roaf - 35
Tony Boselli - 29
Richmond Webb - 35
Gary Zimmerman - 36
Rayfield Wright - 34
Ron Yary - 35
Dan Dierdorf - 34

That's not to say that it's impossible for Duane Brown to play through 2021 but it would be unusual. The only pro bowler to do so from the above list was Zimmerman who the Vikings moved to RT for much of his final season.
Whitworth made the pro bowl at 36. Jason Peters made it at 35.

In this era, if you can stay healthy you can play at a high level deep into your 30s.

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":iri57yhs said:
AgentDib":iri57yhs said:

Walter Jones - 34
Anthony Munoz - 34
Orlando Pace - 34
Jonathan Ogden - 33
Joe Thomas - 33
Tony Jones - 34
Leon Searcy - 30
Erik Williams - 33
Bruce Armstrong - 35
Lincoln Kennedy - 32
Willie Anderson - 33
Tarik Glenn - 30
Marvel Smith - 30
Willie Roaf - 35
Tony Boselli - 29
Richmond Webb - 35
Gary Zimmerman - 36
Rayfield Wright - 34
Ron Yary - 35
Dan Dierdorf - 34

In this era, if you can stay healthy you can play at a high level deep into your 30s.

This is also a function of talent survivor bias. If you can survive and play at a high level, it is actually perfectly captured already by the league as evidenced by the list.

knownone

Reaction score
mrt144":3824b7f7 said:
knownone":3824b7f7 said:
AgentDib":3824b7f7 said:

Walter Jones - 34
Anthony Munoz - 34
Orlando Pace - 34
Jonathan Ogden - 33
Joe Thomas - 33
Tony Jones - 34
Leon Searcy - 30
Erik Williams - 33
Bruce Armstrong - 35
Lincoln Kennedy - 32
Willie Anderson - 33
Tarik Glenn - 30
Marvel Smith - 30
Willie Roaf - 35
Tony Boselli - 29
Richmond Webb - 35
Gary Zimmerman - 36
Rayfield Wright - 34
Ron Yary - 35
Dan Dierdorf - 34

This is also a function of talent survivor bias. If you can survive and play at a high level, it is actually perfectly captured already by the league as evidenced by the list.
Fair point. Still it's worth wondering how much longer guys can play in the league now because of the struggle to find solid offensive lineman.

D

DomeHawk

Some guys need to have a fire lit under their ass to perform. If Ifedi is going to make any real money in this league he is going to have to perform this year. it's the best motivation you could have given him.

LTH

Reaction score
Elemas":314j64ss said:
I think he's made some definite improvements but, the option to pick him back up is really pricey considering it's on par with Duane Brown.

Kinda hate to see him go...from the limited social media clips I've seen of him, he seems like a genuine "good" guy. Hope the best for him!

it would have been interesting to know if Solari might have been a better influence than Cable... as he spent most of his carear with Cable...or maybe he is just a bust...

LTH