SEA Draft notes - Rumors

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I have a hard time endorsing OBJ. Great prospect no doubt. But even if Tate walks, you have some talent to alleviate that drop off (Baldwin and Kearse). It's not the same case losing Rice. We don't have any talented plan B for that loss.

Even if we lose Tate and Rice -- I think the Hawks have to address Rice's loss first. Bigs are a more rare breed. Good Z receivers are far more numerous in virtually every draft. Tate is not a talent that has to be immediately replaced for us to be competitive. We can take our time addressing it if it comes to that.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I would honestly agree with you on this 9/10 times, but I just really think OBJ has the chance to be special. There's no other sub 6' WR in the last few years that I'd be saying this about.

Attyla the Hawk":3mr8slqc said:
Yeah, I have a hard time endorsing OBJ. Great prospect no doubt. But even if Tate walks, you have some talent to alleviate that drop off (Baldwin and Kearse). It's not the same case losing Rice. We don't have any talented plan B for that loss.

Even if we lose Tate and Rice -- I think the Hawks have to address Rice's loss first. Bigs are a more rare breed. Good Z receivers are far more numerous in virtually every draft. Tate is not a talent that has to be immediately replaced for us to be competitive. We can take our time addressing it if it comes to that.

McGruff

Reaction score
Rumor is the Seahawks are interested in Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez as a possible conversion project to either WR or DB.

Dufe just blew up the Nebraska Pro Day . . . http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -wr-and-db

"Recently recovered from a foot injury that ended his 2013 season, Martinez ran his 40-yard dash in the mid-4.4 range with some stopwatches as low as 4.41. He also recorded a 3.83 in the short shuttle, 39-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-9 broad jump, numbers that would have placed him tops among quarterbacks at the NFL Combine."

He was a former promising young QB who never really developed as a passer, but displayed his freakish athletic skills on the field.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":1l4u5j0o said:
Rumor is the Seahawks are interested in Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez as a possible conversion project to either WR or DB.

Dufe just blew up the Nebraska Pro Day . . . http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -wr-and-db

"Recently recovered from a foot injury that ended his 2013 season, Martinez ran his 40-yard dash in the mid-4.4 range with some stopwatches as low as 4.41. He also recorded a 3.83 in the short shuttle, 39-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-9 broad jump, numbers that would have placed him tops among quarterbacks at the NFL Combine."

He was a former promising young QB who never really developed as a passer, but displayed his freakish athletic skills on the field.
Late rounder, if at all. Might make a practice squad. TM is a joke at QB, and making him into a wr would be a 3 year project. Now, if they thought he could play corner...

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
My thinking is they would take Beckham jr. at 32 but they know he will be long gone. So I think its a smoke screen from Seattle and they won't go WR in the first round. My guess is DL or OL they probably would have some highly rated prospects still on the board at 32.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25ezo474 said:
McGruff":25ezo474 said:

Late rounder, if at all. Might make a practice squad. TM is a joke at QB, and making him into a wr would be a 3 year project. Now, if they thought he could play corner...
Honestly, in my assessment his best chance is at qb, which isn't good. Allegedly though, he tore it up at wide receiver on the scout team as a freshmen. That was when we had four NFL db's in Amukamara, Dennard, Haag, and Gomes, who all raved about his ability. Those 40 times are a little high as well. I had between 4.26 and 4.3, which is what was initially reported. I see him as a smaller Kaepernick, with significantly less arm talent. He did make huge strides throwing the ball from his So. to Jr. seasons. If he could continue on that curve he could probably turn into a marginal passer at the NFL level, in the right offense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":p36xszka said:
Scottemojo":p36xszka said:
McGruff":p36xszka said:

Honestly, in my assessment his best chance is at qb, which isn't good. Allegedly though, he tore it up at wide receiver on the scout team as a freshmen. That was when we had four NFL db's in Amukamara, Dennard, Haag, and Gomes, who all raved about his ability. Those 40 times are a little high as well. I had between 4.26 and 4.3, which is what was initially reported. I see him as a smaller Kaepernick, with significantly less arm talent. He did make huge strides throwing the ball from his So. to Jr. seasons. If he could continue on that curve he could probably turn into a marginal passer at the NFL level, in the right offense.

I think Martinez is a dumb decision maker. However, I was stunned when I found out he actually did test for the pro day for cornerback.

Who was the Nebraska QB who played safety for the Jets? Frost?

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1febpz7z said:
HuskerHawk":1febpz7z said:
Scottemojo":1febpz7z said:
McGruff":1febpz7z said:

I think Martinez is a dumb decision maker. However, I was stunned when I found out he actually did test for the pro day for cornerback.

Who was the Nebraska QB who played safety for the Jets? Frost?
Frost played safety for the Jets for awhile, and Crouch got drafted in the 3rd as a wr. I don't think Martinez has the attributes of either of those guys as far as playing another position.

chris98251

Reaction score
Heavy on O line could mean a big ass player as well. Just the sort of joke I can see them baiting media with.

cover-2

Reaction score
Scottemojo":366k0vxz said:
McGruff":366k0vxz said:

Taylor Martinez trying to transition to being a CB would be a probably be a three year project as well. Richard Sherman took more than two years to transition into a good CB and Martinez would be the same if not longer. IMO Martinez could transition quicker to a productive slot WR than he could to CB or Safety.

cover-2

Reaction score

QuahHawk

Reaction score
cover-2":2m4hlfdq said:
Flashback...

2012 supplemental draft - Seahawks in attendance at (WR) Josh Gordan's Pro Day. http://12thmanrising.com/2012/07/11/seattle-seahawks-attended-pro-day-for-josh-gordon/

The Browns gave up their 2013 2nd round pick to get Gordan. With hindsight being 20/20, would you give up our 2013 1st round pick to outbid the Browns to get Gordan, or would you have kept the pick which help us trade for Percy Harvin?

Rather have Harvin, Gordon is still a headcase one mistake away from a long suspension