SEA Draft notes - Rumors

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Per Tony Pauline, it seems Seattle would scoop up Odell Beckham Jr at 32 (won't be available) and will look to go OL heavy.

OBJ, IMO is the ideal pick at 32 simply because I see him as a combination of Tate/Baldwin/Harvin. Everything but his size screams #1 WR and his play style fits perfectly in SEA. It's too bad that his combine performance has pretty much made his availability at 32 a long shot. I think he's a rare pick at 32 that would not only be a big impact on Day 1, but would really provide great flexibility/insurance in the future. *No matter the position drafted, this is what my general hope for whoever is drafted at 32.

The "OL heavy" part does concern me a bit as I don't want to see James Carpenter type picks at 32 and 64 just to "draft OL." By all means, if the value/talent is there, go for it. I'm just increasingly concerned about us passing up a very good (potentially) pass rusher, DT, or WR simply to get more bodies on the OL. This is such a good draft that I'd hate to repeat the Carp/Moffitt debacle.

McGruff

Reaction score
I agree on beckham. As much as people say we want a big receiver, when it comes to early picks, we seem to value big play ability over measurables. There's a reason we picked Tate in the 2nd round and traded multiple early picks for Harvin. Add in early picks like Thomas and Irvin who were speed and impact players, and signs point to a guy like Beckham.

I'd love him. If the team is high on Beckham and Donald, we're on the right path IMO, even if we miss out on those guys.

Incidentally I think there's a decent chance Beckham is there. Not so sure about Donald.

randomation

Reaction score
Don't think either OBJ or Cooks will be available OBJ will likely be third receiver taken cooks 4th Lee could drop to 5th

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Great point and completely agree. It takes about a minute of watching Beckham/Donald to say, "yep, those guys would fit on this team.

The whole WR situation in the draft is really intriguing. With so much depth, there will be a guy or 2 who falls much lower then they should. After all, many of these teams that need a WR, also need other positions badly. I could easily see teams saying, we will just wait til R2 to grab Davante Adams, etc. We shall see.

Quite honestly, if Donald or Beckham falls into the 20s, I am fully on board with a trade up for either one. I think those guys are dyanmos on day 1 for this team. I know this isn't the MO of PC/JS, but ya never know. Those guys just scream Seahawk in my opinion.

McGruff":1387nj7t said:
I agree on beckham. As much as people say we want a big receiver, when it comes to early picks, we seem to value big play ability over measurables. There's a reason we picked Tate in the 2nd round and traded multiple early picks for Harvin. Add in early picks like Thomas and Irvin who were speed and impact players, and signs point to a guy like Beckham.

I'd love him. If the team is high on Beckham and Donald, we're on the right path IMO, even if we miss out on those guys.

Incidentally I think there's a decent chance Beckham is there. Not so sure about Donald.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He has great hands but he gets little separation for the speed he showed in the 40. He does remind me of Tate in a way as far as good hands and can catch in traffic. Doesn't have near the elusiveness though and they took Tate in the second. I doubt we spend a first on him.

aawolf

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":13fm5xh8 said:
Per Tony Pauline, it seems Seattle would scoop up Odell Beckham Jr at 32 (won't be available) and will look to go OL heavy.

OBJ, IMO is the ideal pick at 32 simply because I see him as a combination of Tate/Baldwin/Harvin. Everything but his size screams #1 WR and his play style fits perfectly in SEA. It's too bad that his combine performance has pretty much made his availability at 32 a long shot. I think he's a rare pick at 32 that would not only be a big impact on Day 1, but would really provide great flexibility/insurance in the future. *No matter the position drafted, this is what my general hope for whoever is drafted at 32.

The "OL heavy" part does concern me a bit as I don't want to see James Carpenter type picks at 32 and 64 just to "draft OL." By all means, if the value/talent is there, go for it. I'm just increasingly concerned about us passing up a very good (potentially) pass rusher, DT, or WR simply to get more bodies on the OL. This is such a good draft that I'd hate to repeat the Carp/Moffitt debacle.
:0190l: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:

Those were for the Seahawks strategy rumors, not your take on them. I think the WR class is so deep, we should absolutely draft O-line first in this draft.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If the first handful of WRs with obvious 1st round talent are off the board, then I have no issue going OL. I really like OBJ and would love to see him taken. Wouldn't be as thrilled with reaching on a raw size prospect if OBJ is off the board. Yeah, we whiffed on Carp/Moffitt, but our track-record with drafting physical prospects for receivers isn't exactly stellar either (Durham, Harper). Even Tate took a while to get going (though I thought his talent was always obvious ...kinda like OBJ).

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I'm confused by your first comment, but what OL would you draft at 32? And who would they be a clear upgrade over?

aawolf":2clww21y said:
:0190l: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs:

Those were for the Seahawks strategy rumors, not your take on them. I think the WR class is so deep, we should absolutely draft O-line first in this draft.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
My post might have implied WR over OL, but really I'm thinking about DT/DE. I'd certainly not want to reach for a WR prospect, just like I wouldn't with OL. I really think the highest ranked OL vs DT/DE/WR is going to be sizeable. Just my .02 as it seems all the good OL get plucked rather quickly.

DavidSeven":29f9x9yd said:
If the first handful of WRs with obvious 1st round talent are off the board, then I have no issue going OL. I really like OBJ and would love to see him taken. Wouldn't be as thrilled with reaching on a raw size prospect if OBJ is off the board. Yeah, we whiffed on Carp/Moffitt, but our track-record with drafting physical prospects for receivers isn't exactly stellar either (Durham, Harper). Even Tate took a while to get going (though I thought his talent was always obvious ...kinda like OBJ).

drdiags

Reaction score
Some of my random general opinions on the Seahawks college/Pro personnel.

College Scouting
=============

Their success rate for low-draft picks is outstanding.

They have been very good at picking defensive backs and line backers.

They are incomplete with DL, since Hill and Williams are still TBD. Scruggs and Irvin showed sparks but jury is still out. EJ Wilson, Pep, Howard and others didn't finish their rookie contracts.

They have decent success with UDFAs.

They have had mixed success with OL picks.

They have not done well with their WR mid-round picks but their one high-round pick settled into the starting role and was successful his second half of the rookie contract.

Their RBs behind Lynch are trying to carve out a niche. Turbin catches grief but has shown the ability to provide results if needed. Not a starter but better than Forsett if he had to be a starter.

They have drafted TEs that can hold down the #2 spot. McCoy and Willson have been productive.

Pro Personnel
==========

Good at identifying defensive line help

Good at finding special teams fits (Maragos, Farwell, McCoy from the Eagles, etc).

Seem to have a love affair with Former Vikings players.

Been able to hold their own on trades. The Whitehurst trade was a loss. Harvin started off badly. Lynch established a mind set. Clemons was along the lines of Lynch on the defensive side.

They overpay for WRs on the open market in my opinion. Rice and Harvin.

They seem to have problems finding veteran WRs. Mike Williams was a good 1 yr hit but he couldn't sustain. Edwards helped some but his wheels were done.

Veteran TEs like Winslow or the guy who replaced him from the Browns couldn't get it done. Miller was a good pickup though the contract is making it dicey for his continued association with the team.

QBs brought in before Wilson have been average to below.

Summary
=======

For college and pro, they get good marks on the defensive side of the ball. For the offensive side, confidence is not high.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2oxx3bb8 said:

So you'd want another 5'11" WR? I don't, we need to get a 6-3+ Big WR to offset all the little guys. I like our guys we just don't have a Rice replacement on the roster (unless the CFL player can pan out)

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I don't want "another 5'11" WR," but I'd sure as hell want OBJ at 32. Might seem redundant, but OBJ is a stud. Would fit in well with this team.

jlwaters1":3bhuw7zh said:
Mtjhoyas":3bhuw7zh said:

So you'd want another 5'11" WR? I don't, we need to get a 6-3+ Big WR to offset all the little guys. I like our guys we just don't have a Rice replacement on the roster (unless the CFL player can pan out)

kearly

Reaction score
First off, anything Pauline says that is team specific and "sourced" has about a 90% chance of being misinformation. Pauline writes for SI and is a pretty big name, the perfect outlet to send misinformation through. I'm not sure if he's ever broken inside info on the Seahawks that's proven true. His non-specific team information, like showing anonymous GM draft boards is spot on but his team specific stuff is usually just entertainment value only.

That said, I do think Beckham fits Seattle extremely well. Remember that Seattle had a 1st round grade on Golden Tate, and Beckham's college tape and combine measurables are almost identical to Tate's in 2010. And though I would love to add another Golden Tate to our team for the right price, is the 1st round the right place to do that? We need another Sidney Rice type, not a Golden Tate type. Especially if Tate is retained in FA. Even if he's not, I'd be just fine with scouring the late rounds for the next Kenny Stills (a late-round player I compared to Tate in the 2013 draft) because we have plenty of depth at undersized WR.

His statement about loading up on OL might be accurate. Seattle drafts based on how they grade their own roster, and some of Seattle's lowest roster grades will come at OL. Combine that with a very deep OL class and it makes sense to see Seattle target multiple OL.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Something to consider... the excellent depth of this year's WR corps will tend to limit Tate's offers/opportunities in FA.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Hawks let Tate test the luke-warm waters and then re-sign him.

davidonmi

Reaction score
JS learned from Ted Thompson, there is no chance that something actually got out.
That said I like Beckham Jr.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'll pass on OBJ if we resign Tate and Baldwin. I am 100% on the bandwagon of getting a 6'2+WR. If we don't get the one we want in the 1st, 2nd, or 4th. I say we spend 2 or 3 late picks and get some big bodied WR's in camp to compete.

So far every year when PC & JS see a weakness they stockpile players at that position and let the cream rise to the top. I think it's time we let that happen at WR.

Feels liek we have plenty of room for 2 big WR's at the bottom of the depth chart.
Harvin
Tate (if resigned)
Baldwin (if resigned as restricted)
Kearse

If we get Tate on a Modest deal and keep ADB for 1 more year. I think keeping two bigger WRs on the roster would make it very easy for us to left Baldwin go in FA.

General Manager

Reaction score
I'll pass on Beckham and Cooks there's better options out there for a team already loaded with 5'10/5'11 WR's.

Jville

Reaction score
What is the definition of "heavy"? It's different than the meaning of priority ...... right?

I thought the 2013 draft was heavy with 3 draft picks and a priority FA signing for the OL.

Follow up multi draft picks seems likely to me for retooling the offensive line.

Competition.

plyka

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":zn31s9xg said:
Great point and completely agree. It takes about a minute of watching Beckham/Donald to say, "yep, those guys would fit on this team.

The whole WR situation in the draft is really intriguing. With so much depth, there will be a guy or 2 who falls much lower then they should. After all, many of these teams that need a WR, also need other positions badly. I could easily see teams saying, we will just wait til R2 to grab Davante Adams, etc. We shall see.

Quite honestly, if Donald or Beckham falls into the 20s, I am fully on board with a trade up for either one. I think those guys are dyanmos on day 1 for this team. I know this isn't the MO of PC/JS, but ya never know. Those guys just scream Seahawk in my opinion.

McGruff":zn31s9xg said:

One of the advantages of sitting at #32, is that you can chill out and wait for someone you love to fall to that number. In a draft as deep as this one, there will always be a player that falls.

Just at the WR position you have:

Watkins, Lee, Evans, Kevin Benj., Odell Beckam, Landry, Adams, Cooks, Robinson, Mathews, Richardson, Coleman, Jared Abbred, Huff, Moncrief, Bryant, Elington, Davis. That's 18 WRs. I count 10 of them that would fit nicely on the Hawks at pick #32. And that's just WR. Who knows what other great player, like Donald whom everyone loves on this board, will fall to #32.

There is no reason to waste all your capital by trading up. You will have a great player that Pete/JS love at #32.

Latest posts