Screen Pass

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Has KN ever looked at the defensive tape and said wow we give up a million yards to screen plays. We should practice that.

I mean WTF? Every time I see the d-line sprinting for the QB I cringe because I know it’s going to be an easy 40 yards.

This is terrible defense. Brandon Mebane would sniff these things out like crazy. I’ve never seen a defense quite so horrible at defending them.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Nah, Ken Norton is busy doing other god knows wtf else.

nanomoz

Reaction score
KJ Wright was so underappreciated. This is aspect of the d this season is "exhibit a."

sutz

Reaction score
In fairness, Jordyn Brooks has gotten better at this. Still has a long way to go, but he's blown up a couple of screens recently.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
:sarcasm_on: The Seahawk LBs are busy covering WRs. There's no time to pay attention to screens. :sarcasm_off:

Threedee

Reaction score
It's interesting that we both cannot execute them on offense and we can't defend against them as well.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We had a LB that was exceptional at stopping them but we let him go to Vegas.

He isn't doing great in Vegas but he is tremendously missed here.

Sniffing out screens is a skill, and a valuable one.

KJ used to be exceptional at it.

Generally, if more than half your line seems to be getting pressure and beating their man? It is probably intentional.

Sidenote: (On screens by our offense)
We do seem to ignore opportunities to run our own screens effectively, which would make life easier on our QB.
I was really hoping that was the plan for how we were going to use Penny, as sort of a bigger Sproles - which I think he would have been exceptional at. But we apparently don't care to run effective screen plays and cannot be bothered with stopping them.

Hawker55

Reaction score
nanomoz":3oe7e9h7 said:
KJ Wright was so underappreciated. This is aspect of the d this season is "exhibit a."

What? We haven't stopped screen plays or covered backs and tight ends for years now since the legion broke up. Or slants for that matter.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This year's defense is probably the worst I've seen at defending screens since Holmgren's last three years.

And they've been pretty good since KJ's second or third year.

We're not talking about man coverage of tight ends.

We're talking about screens.

Don't group them together. They're not the same thing. They're not remotely the same thing. The fact that you grouped them together pretty much invalidates your whole statement. Well, that and the fact that it's laughably incorrect.

Hawker55

Reaction score
nanomoz":2dkqov4a said:
This year's defense is probably the worst I've seen at defending screens since Holmgren's last three years.

And they've been pretty good since KJ's second or third year.

We're not talking about man coverage of tight ends.

We're talking about screens.

Don't group them together. They're not the same thing. They're not remotely the same thing. The fact that you grouped them together pretty much invalidates your whole statement. Well, that and the fact that it's laughably incorrect.

Who's talking about man coverage of tight ends? What post are you reading? And since when has Seattle played man to man on any consistent basis? Not ever!!!!!.

I'm talking about seam routes, screen plays and slants. None of which we have defended worth a sh*t for years.

KJ had a great season last year, but during his last 5, 6 years here he was not consistent let'sbe honest. And our defense was and still is dog sh*t at defending those fore mentioned plays and have been for 5, 6 years now...

If you're gonna talk S**t come with something a little stronger than just..... you're laughably incorrect. In other words..... elaborate and more importantly, make sure you're right, cuz last I checked, seam routes and screens are mostly run against zone defense not man to man.

The seam route[1][2][3] is a route, usually played against a zone defense in American football, in which the receiver runs at the edges of a defender's coverage (for example, between the linebacker and safety), thus, on the "seam" between two or more coverages. It is not a route on its own, but the location of another route (typically fly route or post route).

irfuben32

Reaction score
Threedee":11yvh4n7 said:
It's interesting that we both cannot execute them on offense and we can't defend against them as well.

maybe it's a weird theory but...

you may have something here.

How many screens does the D see in practice? The O is obviously not working on them that much.

Also, we always start the year playing 15 yards off the receivers and not covering anything over the middle.

maybe that was making the D look incredible all camp because RW only tried to throw deep shots down the sideline

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I’ve seen so many of RW screen passes get tipped at the line. He has difficulty throwing screen passes.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
HawkNuts":13tf2wq7 said:
I’ve seen so many of RW screen passes get tipped at the line. He has difficulty throwing screen passes.

I rarely see any of Russell Wilson passes get tipped.

It happens to many QBs across the NFL, but not to Wilson.

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Palmegranite":155q7c6o said:
HawkNuts":155q7c6o said:

That’s because he doesn’t stay in the pocket and needs windows to see receivers. He also throws a lot of deep passes. But when a guy who is 5’11” tries to throw a screen from the pocket against a 6’5” DE with a 7’ wingspan there will be some tipped balls. He just doesn’t throw screens well.

Hawker55

Reaction score
HawkNuts":6khlyvbq said:
Palmegranite":6khlyvbq said:
HawkNuts":6khlyvbq said:

That’s because he doesn’t stay in the pocket and needs windows to see receivers. He also throws a lot of deep passes. But when a guy who is 5’11” tries to throw a screen from the pocket against a 6’5” DE with a 7’ wingspan there will be some tipped balls. He just doesn’t throw screens well.

You do realize at Wisconsin he had the tallest O lines in college, they averaged 6'5" I believe. That's as tall as any line in the pros and he threw screen passes just fine.

All QB's need passing lanes regardless if they're 5'11" or 6'5". This was discussed at length when he was drafted... This whole Wilson is too short resurrection happening in this board is comical to say the least.

And how do you come to your conclusions anyway? We rarely run screen plays over the middle if ever... If had to guess, I would guess he has far less batted balls then other QB's 4,5 inches taller than him. He's maybe had 1, 2 a game throughout his career if that?

Latest posts