Scottish Hawks fan

gulliver

Reaction score
HansGruber":283ua58k said:
I'm going to go ahead and guess that you don't live in the City of Seattle if you miss good indian curry. There are a TON of Indian people here, working in the tech industry, and some very phenomenal places to get curry as a result. Have you been to the eastside?

Oh and we're not all introverted and closed off. If YOU are outgoing and friendly, you will do fine. I moved here from Los Angeles, and was not used to the passivity you mention. Then I just decided to be my gregarious annoying self, got involved with tons of charity work and fun things to do, and now have a larger circle of friends here than in Southern California. Seattle is a very warm place if you can force yourself to be outgoing and take some risks.
I'll agree on the curry--see everywhere from Bellevue up to Bothell--but couldn't disagree more on the people of Seattle.

No city wants to believe their people are closed off and introverted, but I grew up in Seattle (up to about age 25) and have had the opportunity live in a bunch of different places: California, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, etc. There is a HUGE difference between people in Seattle and most of those other places.

IMO southerners and midwesterners are MUCH friendlier and more outgoing than Washingtonians and Seattleites. NWerners kind of have their own 'group' going and you're going to have to jump in their circle and convince them you should be allowed to stay to make friends--either way, the onus is on you. Obviously it depends heavily on the person, but there is little doubt in my mind after living several places that, much as I love Seattle, the people are a bit colder. They can make for great friends, but they're not going to be looking for your friendship--you have to convince them on your own.

MLTHawk

Reaction score
Welcome! I got to see Celtic play here in Seattle a couple years back. They played our other "football" team, The Sounders.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":1o9wxmqv said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1o9wxmqv said:
I moved from Glasgow to Seattle two years ago. If its any consolation there is green in the Seahawks uniform and it isn't Royal blue! The Sounders also play in green and Seattle is known as the emerald city! I started watching football, outwith Superbowls in Pete Carrolls first season, when i had an idea i was moving to Seattle. It wasn't easy watching the games in Scotland with most of the east coast teams getting shown. Had a Celtic season ticket for 10 years. Last nights result didn't happen....

I do miss Irn bru, square sausage, a good indian curry and the people. Seattle people seem to be very closed off and introverted making it hard to make friends. They are nice though.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you don't live in the City of Seattle if you miss good indian curry. There are a TON of Indian people here, working in the tech industry, and some very phenomenal places to get curry as a result. Have you been to the eastside?

Oh and we're not all introverted and closed off. If YOU are outgoing and friendly, you will do fine. I moved here from Los Angeles, and was not used to the passivity you mention. Then I just decided to be my gregarious annoying self, got involved with tons of charity work and fun things to do, and now have a larger circle of friends here than in Southern California. Seattle is a very warm place if you can force yourself to be outgoing and take some risks.

I do live in Seattle and the currys are okay I guess. Just different. Try a curry in Glasgow and you'll see what i mean. There is a big Indian/Pakistani population in Glasgow who moved there in the 1950's. Glasgow is curry capital of the UK.

Seattle does have amazing food though, raw ingredients are a lot more fresher.

As for the people part see the other poster below you. If you manage to make friends in Seattle, they'll probably be your friend for life. Heck one of my friends here took me to my first Seahawks game against the Patriots. I just find Seattlites quite cliquey and less outgoing than what I grew up with. I find Glaswegians a lot more outgoing and friendlier, bigger drinkers as well. :p I'd say people in Edinburgh are similar to people from Seattle.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2f0o1vx3 said:
HansGruber":2f0o1vx3 said:
Glasgow Seahawk":2f0o1vx3 said:
I moved from Glasgow to Seattle two years ago. If its any consolation there is green in the Seahawks uniform and it isn't Royal blue! The Sounders also play in green and Seattle is known as the emerald city! I started watching football, outwith Superbowls in Pete Carrolls first season, when i had an idea i was moving to Seattle. It wasn't easy watching the games in Scotland with most of the east coast teams getting shown. Had a Celtic season ticket for 10 years. Last nights result didn't happen....

I do miss Irn bru, square sausage, a good indian curry and the people. Seattle people seem to be very closed off and introverted making it hard to make friends. They are nice though.

I do live in Seattle and the currys are okay I guess. Just different. Try a curry in Glasgow and you'll see what i mean. There is a big Indian/Pakistani population in Glasgow who moved there in the 1950's. Glasgow is curry capital of the UK.

Seattle does have amazing food though, raw ingredients are a lot more fresher.

As for the people part see the other poster below you. If you manage to make friends in Seattle, they'll probably be your friend for life. Heck one of my friends here took me to my first Seahawks game against the Patriots. I just find Seattlites quite cliquey and less outgoing than what I grew up with. I find Glaswegians a lot more outgoing and friendlier, bigger drinkers as well. :p I'd say people in Edinburgh are similar to people from Seattle.

I think part of it is the cold gray weather. When it's always cold, cloudy and rainy, it's hard to be real outgoing.

The people I met in Edinburgh were stern and prudish, though. That is not at all how Seattle folks are. You'd never see hundreds of naked hippies riding bikes through downtown Edinburgh, then being embraced by the city government and turned into a city holiday. Likewise, you probably wouldn't find the nation's largest pot festival, with the local police handing out bags of Doritos with jokes on them, encouraging folks to listen to Pink Floyd. Edinburgh and Seattle are about as far apart as you can be.

I think the people get a bad rap, because visitors from other areas expect Seattleites to be outgoing. That's just not part of the culture here.

Everyone wants to be polite and listen to you. Once you realize that, you will have that "ah ha!" moment that I had a few years after moving here and struggling with the culture. It's not that people don't like you or don't want to get to know you, it's that they're trying to be polite and allow you to speak first.

Serious. Try it sometime. Just find a stranger, start talking to them. I do it all the time because it cracks me up. In Los Angeles, if you do that, people will cuss at you and think you're a weirdo. Here in Seattle, they love it. I have started random conversations with anyone and everyone, and it always makes me laugh how people just open up to that. I've had deep philosophical conversations with complete strangers. Some of my closest friends in Seattle are people that I literally just started a random conversation with on the bus. So yeah, they're a little cold on the outside, but very warm on the inside.

A

Anonymous

gallacher88":150prciv said:
Hi there ! Name is Adam and have just recently got into the sport this year. Hail from Scotland and I'm a lifelong Glasgow Celtic soccer fan. Couple workmates love American football and have got me into the sport. First game I saw was Seattle Seahawks vs New Orleans Saints. Celtic play in green and normally not a fan of blue but thought the hawk jersey was a beauty. Really liked the way they played they just bossed the full game. But best of all was the fans. Celtic are very proud to be known as the best fans in the world of soccer and with this I identified with the hawks. So I'm a fan for life and yea band wagon and all that but I was happy that hawks have yet to win the superbowl ( didnt want to support a team who has) and will never switch allegiance. Years from now hawks will hit a slump it happens to all teams. Celtic in my 20yrs supporting them have had horrible seasons but stick with them thick and thin. And this is how I will support hawks through the good and bad. Anyway like a said new to the sport so forgive me asking silly questions all the time. Thats my story one big ass post , hope I get a good welcome.

Well, you picked a perfect team to become a fan of, that's for sure.

I would give a couple of toes on my left foot to go hang out in Scotland for a few weeks, and I'd spend all of it in the countryside. I need to muck the horse stables (or sheer a sheep) on an old Scottish farm, in the pouring down rain, before I can say I've lived. Definite bucket-list item for me.

Welcome to .NET! Dive right in.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
gallacher88":1smwkf0m said:
Hi there ! Name is Adam and have just recently got into the sport this year. Hail from Scotland and I'm a lifelong Glasgow Celtic soccer fan. Couple workmates love American football and have got me into the sport. First game I saw was Seattle Seahawks vs New Orleans Saints. Celtic play in green and normally not a fan of blue but thought the hawk jersey was a beauty. Really liked the way they played they just bossed the full game. But best of all was the fans. Celtic are very proud to be known as the best fans in the world of soccer and with this I identified with the hawks. So I'm a fan for life and yea band wagon and all that but I was happy that hawks have yet to win the superbowl ( didnt want to support a team who has) and will never switch allegiance. Years from now hawks will hit a slump it happens to all teams. Celtic in my 20yrs supporting them have had horrible seasons but stick with them thick and thin. And this is how I will support hawks through the good and bad. Anyway like a said new to the sport so forgive me asking silly questions all the time. Thats my story one big ass post , hope I get a good welcome.
Seahawks.Net is a right pisser-up. ;)

Riley12

Reaction score
Welcome! Enjoy your lifelong committal to this sanitarium.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
gallacher88":3kejk3n2 said:
Welcome! Ask all the questions you want! People here are very willing to share their knowledge (and opinions).

I spent a couple months in Scotland many years ago, I'd love to go back sometime.

OP
OP
G

gallacher88

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. Must say lovin the banter. For those who asked I live outside Glasgow in a town called Cumbernauld. Just got myself a copy of Madden find it helps a bit more to understanding the rules better. See some may be a bit cynical but can assure you if the hawks become the worst team in the NFC I'll still be cheering them on. Would love to go to a game but best bet is if they play at Wembley. Im sure I will visit century links , will just need to wait a while. Oh in response to celtic fans booing Army it is a minority with a so much politics that should not be in sport however thats not what the majority of celtic fans do.i will be raising money for help 4heroes next year in the tough mudder challenge. But not on to talk bout celtic here for the hawks! My workmate is a Giants fan so goin to be fun this Sunday.

OP
OP
G

gallacher88

Reaction score
HighlandHawk":2ib46bj8 said:
Hi there fellow Scottish Seahawks fan. Been following the 'hawks since '87 and enjoy the season muchly :)
Can I ask where the best place to buy a jersey? Whenever a find one its only in XXL

OP
OP
G

gallacher88

Reaction score
HansGruber":28gc69s9 said:
Welcome!

I went to a Celtic game on my last visit to Scotland back around 2006, I think. The match was between the Celtic and Manchester United, and Celtic won 1-0. A japanese player (Nakamura?) kicked the winning goal on a penalty shot, if I remember correctly. The place went nuts. Reminded me of our victory against the Dallas Cowboys in 2005 that solidified our run to the Superbowl. Same kind of vibe.

It was nuts. Ended up drinking with a bunch of Celtic fans. Lots of fun. Don't remember much about the drinking, it got out of hand :3-1: quickly.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game while there. Your fans were passionate. You should come to Seattle and experience a game here. It would blow your mind. The chaos I experienced when Celtic beat Man U in the last part of the game is kind of what it is like the whole game here. A little louder in Seattle, but just as crazy. :D
Remember this so well. Was a free kick. The seattle fans are just fantastic. I thought they wher actually the cause for so many bad plays from the saints and for fans to do that is awesome. Seattle will sure be on my list of places to visit. :D

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
gallacher88":2j68dj82 said:
HighlandHawk":2j68dj82 said:
Hi there fellow Scottish Seahawks fan. Been following the 'hawks since '87 and enjoy the season muchly :)
Can I ask where the best place to buy a jersey? Whenever a find one its only in XXL

I bought mine from NFL fanatics (this site gets a cut of the deal) but it takes a while to arrive and although I got free postage I ended up shelling out 16 quid in taxes and import fees. I also bought a new era cap that wasnt available in UK.

http://www.greatamericansports.co.uk/Seattle-Seahawks/team

These guys have Wilson jerseys for about £65 and a limited set of Seahawks merch.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
gallacher88":3s0846p6 said:
Thanks for the welcome. Must say lovin the banter. For those who asked I live outside Glasgow in a town called Cumbernauld. Just got myself a copy of Madden find it helps a bit more to understanding the rules better. See some may be a bit cynical but can assure you if the hawks become the worst team in the NFC I'll still be cheering them on. Would love to go to a game but best bet is if they play at Wembley. Im sure I will visit century links , will just need to wait a while. Oh in response to celtic fans booing Army it is a minority with a so much politics that should not be in sport however thats not what the majority of celtic fans do.i will be raising money for help 4heroes next year in the tough mudder challenge. But not on to talk bout celtic here for the hawks! My workmate is a Giants fan so goin to be fun this Sunday.

I have a friend who is a Celtic fan from Bathgate. Glad you're here!

HawksSoc

Reaction score
gallacher88":1m3hacij said:
Does the term 12th man only apply to the hawks?

In the NFL yes, though there is a college team, Texas AM who use it also. Interesting fact you may like to know on December 15 1984, the Hawks retired the number 12 jersey as a tribute to their fans.