Sando puts Seahawks at about $4 million in Salary Cap Space

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/101029/west-salary-cap-update-as-june-1-nears[/urltargetblank]

The San Francisco 49ers have about $2.6 million in space after center Jonathan Goodwin accepted a pay reduction in exchange for a $1 million guarantee. The Seattle Seahawks have a little more than $4 million in space, while the St. Louis Rams have about $3.5 million, according to Clayton.

Nothing surprising for those who have been following along with it this off season, but in perspective, we have more than the Niners and Rams, and that's always a solid plus. The Cardinals are sitting the best though with over $8 million right now and more to be added after June 1.

bellingerga

Reaction score
I know very little about all this kind of stuff. Is cap space a "use it or lose it" type thing or does it carry over to the next year?

Anyone have any links I can follow to sort of get an idea?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
This is a decent link for a salary cap FAQ

[urltargetblank]http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx[/urltargetblank]

Also, here are a few links with salary cap information for each team. There are others that people may add to this thread if they wish but it's a starting point for you

[urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/[/urltargetblank]

[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Seahawks&Year=2013[/urltargetblank]

Happypuppy

Reaction score
bellingerga":2fhdppv9 said:
I know very little about all this kind of stuff. Is cap space a "use it or lose it" type thing or does it carry over to the next year?

Cap space can and is rolled over into the next year.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1fxxvpze said:
bellingerga":1fxxvpze said:

Cap space can and is rolled over into the next year.

actually leftover cap CAN be rolled over but isn't automatically applied. Team's have a deadline for requesting a cap rollover and must apply (I believe it's 14 days) prior to the next season for the league to apply the left over cap. Also, I believe the team can also designate how much it wants to rollover.

The reason I believe it's not automatic is that the league also has minimum percentages the team must spend in any given year. If a team doesn't want to spend more money, they may opt to not request the rollover.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle is well over their spend minimum. Oddly, Seattle was actually one of the highest spending teams last season despite having one of the highest amounts of free cap space. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that Seattle's then cap guru is now the GM of the Jets.

Unspent money is typically rolled over to next year. It's part of the new CBA which won't expire for another 8 years or so. As much as I hate Goodell, I have to admit he handled the 2011 lockout/bargaining magnificently. The new rules for cap management and salary structure are vastly superior.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I expect the Seahawks will use most of that money to rollover for next year as part of the money they will use for an Earl Thomas or Russell Okung extension.

lukerguy

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3i3bd0rd said:
Looks like they may have enough to sign John Abraham, if needed.

...Or Bank for the future studs (ET, Sherm, RW)

tooshort

Reaction score
lukerguy":2y2lz0u3 said:
hawkfan68":2y2lz0u3 said:
Looks like they may have enough to sign John Abraham, if needed.

...Or Bank for the future studs (ET, Sherm, RW)

Those contracts are going to be a scarily large part of our cap... if all are kept i'd estimate a per year hit of (in order) $9,000,000 , $12,000,000 and $20,000,000

add Harvin into the mix and that's four stars taking up 52 million per year starting in 2015

SharkHawk

Reaction score
No way in hell their contracts will count that much toward the cap. Not a chance.

There are 9ers fans who post on every Seahawks topic on ESPN claiming that the Hawks are in "cap hell" and are doomed after this season due to the signing of Avril and the trade for Harvin and signing of Bennett and others. They failed to see the length of each contract. The only long term deals they worked this year were with Harvin and Chancellor. They are both what? 24 or 25 years old max? Saying the Hawks are in cap hell, yet then turning around and saying the Hawks only beat them due to an injury to Justin Smith just makes me laugh.

So we're in "cap hell" for signing two young guys that are amongst the top at their position. We still have several all pros under team control for at least 2 more seasons, we have more cap space to roll over than them, we have multiple guys we signed this offseason to contracts that are eerily similar to the "prove it contract" that Jason Jones signed, and yet we're in cap hell and they are going to dominate because now Justin Smith's arm is healthy again? Wow. Ok.

This isn't directed at the post above me, so please don't think I'm attacking your post. Not at all. I know what you're saying, and yes, we have some superstars that are bound to get paid very soon, but thankfully with the new deal they can't yet. It can't even be discussed, so this current season is one where nobody can hold out and gripe, because it is now against the rules, and yes... that was very well done by the league.

But your post talking about the amounts those guys are going to get (which are probably close, but capwise, I don't think the hits will be where you're saying until the last year of a contract or MAYBE the first depending on how much room they have and how they choose to divvy their signing bonuses... if you have room, you chomp it all at once, if you don't, you keep rolling it out and have a balloon payment salary at the end and rework it before then or cut).

It's just that after all of the massive amount of "fill in the gap" activity this year (probably a year sooner than the Hawks even expected) and they still have space to roll right now. That's impressive. I was scared when Idzik left, but seeing what's going on in New York and how things have continued to roll along fine and a stupid contract for Abraham, Dumervil, or Freeney wasn't thrown out there Wistrom style makes me feel a lot better about who remains here working on such matters. I think we're ok and the overall philosophy wins the day.

tooshort

Reaction score
Shark,
Great post,
I was also apprehensive when Idzik left, and that said ,I LOVE what we have done this year to put our team in an immediate position to not only win, but (possi/proba)bly dominate. Still, it is a short term on field solution that will hamper us down the road when we need to sign the mega contracts that could include huge first year bonuses if we had the rollover ability within the current CBA.

I have no doubt that our current regime will find a way to keep the core players that they feel have the greatest benefit on the long road ahead. But I am also quite sure that the lack of cap rollover will lead to some much loved big name Hawks hitting the road earlier than we believe they should.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Idzik aimed at rolling unused cap space 10M every year. That gives the team flexibility during the season. It seems the Hawks no longer do that, so it's a risk. But the team is right now in a unique position to take some risks to get quick results, so I'm good with going all in at this moment. This type of all-star roster we have right now, we likely will not be able to retain for too long. Long term success still depends in drafting well.

It's gonna be a hell of a season.

HighlandHawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":1q1jgx2l said:
Idzik aimed at rolling unused cap space 10M every year. That gives the team flexibility during the season. It seems the Hawks no longer do that, so it's a risk. But the team is right now in a unique position to take some risks to get quick results, so I'm good with going all in at this moment. This type of all-star roster we have right now, we likely will not be able to retain for too long. Long term success still depends in drafting well.

Its completely by plan, we'll be cutting Clem, Farwell (unless earlier) and Moff next year, chance we cut Red giving us about 20m in cap space (not including roll over) for free agents and extensions.. This is absolutely planned long term and not just over the next year for quick results.

Axx

Reaction score
Well pete always mentions how he and john have the next couple of years maped out as far as contracts are concerned.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
TwilightError":2m2wwq6s said:

We have 4 million now as it sits, but don't rule out a few younger players making it possible to cut some higher paid vets, giving us even more cap space going into the season. Right now it is only counting the top players, once the season rolls around, they may not all have made the cut.

As for the speculation on rollover money. I have no doubt the seahawks will continue to rollover their cap money whenever possible, at least as long as Paul Allen owns the team. I can see a few of the teams who have been known to be "cheap" throughout the years, not always rolling that over so they can keep their spending down.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seems to me the cap is being very well managed and the team has a plan going forward so ugly player cuts or unfortunate losses are unlikely to happen to allow the team to get into or stay in cap compliance.

The team has effectively now rolled over almost the total roster from who was here when JS/PC arrived to clean up Ruskell's mess, there are only just a couple of players still here from the prior regime. Young, bigger, faster, stronger, deeper and more athletic has been the result of the roster churn as the FO attempts to constantly acquire any incremental improvement possible of the team depth. The results have been demonstrated on the scoresheet and now the team has acquired a young talent at QB the future is looking very bright. I suspect the team will find a way to keep any player they want to keep and won't be priced out of competition with any player they want to keep here.

The future is bright, and better still talent is excited to want to come here for the ride.

mikeak

Reaction score
TwilightError":38e7thpb said:

I think one has to understand the different situation we are in now vs when Idzik was here though. It was a rebuilding effort during those years and even last year was started as non-contender. During rebuilding years you can't be maxing out the cap especially not with the rules in place that you could start rolling money over. Once you are a contender you will be closer to the cap and have some issues keeping the players you want

mikeak

Reaction score
Axx":2ypee5d4 said:
Well pete always mentions how he and john have the next couple of years maped out as far as contracts are concerned.

Hopefully the players agree on that plan :D

Latest posts