FYI: The Salary Cap is Merely Accounting

flv2

Reaction score
Adams is the best tackling safety on the Seahawks. It’s unfortunate he can’t stay healthy. I’ve seen way too many whiffs by Diggs in that dept. Ever since Diggs tried to tackle Derrick Henry in 202, his tacking effort has steadily declined.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Cutting Adams would be a questionable decision that could be argued either way. I'd guesstimate that his market value is less than he's scheduled to earn so i'd learn towards cutting him and signing a decent quality, better value-for-money, scheme fit. It might come down to what the 2023 DC wants to do, and that position isn't set in stone.

knownone

Reaction score
It doesn't matter when they cut Jamal. They'd still be on the hook for 21 million over the next three seasons. That's a $7 million per season loss, which puts Jamal's actual value to the team at the amount opened up by cutting him 11 million per season. Seattle will undoubtedly keep him at that valuation.

Diggs is another story. But the way Pete's talked about him in recent interviews leads me to believe he's not going anywhere either.

balakoth

Reaction score
Get rid of the only two Safeties we really have.. sounds legit

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Nice work. I do agree with Diggs and Adams with post June 1 cut. You won’t need to sign most of the scrubs they will be replaced with draft choice’s
Yeah, they are just placeholders until then.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Geno for five years? You're not actually advocating that are you? That would be utter madness.
The way typical NFL contracts work is only the first 2 years are fully guaranteed, the 3rd for injury. Years 4 and 5 are just there to spread out the signing bonus to keep the cap hit manageable.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
So we are going to create a need at 2 safety spots, and at rg, while we sign a backup injured rb
and were going to draft all that or sign cheap replacements? All while needing a center upgrade and help all over the defense. I dont really like that strategy

Ryan Neal exists, you know.

RG is a sieve.

The Penny deal is a 1 yr incentive based prove it deal for low money, worth it.

I'd prefer turning over the roster on defense, rather than flushing that money on older players that have seen their best days. The defense is trash last time I checked, and rather see them actually be young, rather than be marketed as young because they suck.

Kobe Bryant at FS, Ryan Neal at SS > oldman Diggs & always injured Adams

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I'm not disagreeing with you. Cutting Adams would be a questionable decision that could be argued either way. I'd guesstimate that his market value is less than he's scheduled to earn so i'd learn towards cutting him and signing a decent quality, better value-for-money, scheme fit. It might come down to what the 2023 DC wants to do, and that position isn't set in stone.
Ryan Neal graded out as one of the best Safeties in the NFL this year. Why is everyone pretending he doesn't exist?

Adams is very expendable.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The way typical NFL contracts work is only the first 2 years are fully guaranteed, the 3rd for injury. Years 4 and 5 are just there to spread out the signing bonus to keep the cap hit manageable.
Sorry, I dont understand the willingness to hitch our wagon to a guy for 2-3 years minimum who hasn't shown he's capable of winning in the biggest moments. That makes zero sense to me.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Sorry, I dont understand the willingness to hitch our wagon to a guy for 2-3 years minimum who hasn't shown he's capable of winning in the biggest moments. That makes zero sense to me.
Well, you could let him walk for a comp. pick. And be one of the worst teams in football next year, as you continue to look for the QB of the future. I'm cool with that too.

The point of this exercise was to show the hand-wringers out there, that think signing Geno Smith to a big contract will somehow wreck there salary cap and they will have no flexibility going forward is erroneous.

I managed to sign Geno to a mega contract, fill out the roster, and still have 50M+ left over for Free Agency and the Draft.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They are going to attempt to use their envisioned 3 safety system come hell or high water. Adams, Diggs, and Neal are in their view key to what they want to do on defense.

It would be shocking if they got rid of two of them.

massari

Reaction score
They are going to attempt to use their envisioned 3 safety system come hell or high water. Adams, Diggs, and Neal are in their view key to what they want to do on defense.

It would be shocking if they got rid of two of them.
Pretty difficult to do though when Adams is out of the lineup so often. Will he have any lingering effects from the torn quad tendon?
The most common complications of quadriceps tendon repair include weakness and loss of knee motion. It is also possible to re-rupture the tendon after it has been repaired. In addition, the position of your kneecap may be different after the procedure.
Hard to imagine they keep Diggs with an $18M cap hit.

BASF

Reaction score
Neal as a restricted free agent will probably be offered more on the open market than we are willing to match.

renofox

Reaction score
Neal as a restricted free agent will probably be offered more on the open market than we are willing to match.
You're probably right.

He'll get $5M somewhere else while we pay $20M for 1-3 games from an inferior player.

It will end up being yet another example of horrendous roster/cap management from our defensive gurus.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Well, you could let him walk for a comp. pick. And be one of the worst teams in football next year, as you continue to look for the QB of the future. I'm cool with that too.

The point of this exercise was to show the hand-wringers out there, that think signing Geno Smith to a big contract will somehow wreck there salary cap and they will have no flexibility going forward is erroneous.

I managed to sign Geno to a mega contract, fill out the roster, and still have 50M+ left over for Free Agency and the Draft.
Ok, I see what you did there. That makes sense.