Sac's Way Too Soon First Round Mock

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
kearly":2ds80twq said:
Very nice mock, I wouldn't consider Troy Niklas to be a huge shock personally. He has mid-first round tools and he basically didn't get to play almost at all before 2013 thanks in large part to Tyler Eifert. I could see Seattle grading Niklas over ASJ and I wouldn't even be offended because they are similar red zone threats and ASJ has a long way to go as a pass blocker.

I don't think there is much chance the Rams go for two tackles. Jake Long is in year two of a pretty big contract, I imagine that he'd have close to zero trade value and releasing him soon would hurt. I don't think they make that kind of sacrifice for Lewan and I don't think they draft another OT that high to put him on the bench or play him out of position. They also need receiver help pretty bad, and Benjamin is still on the board in this scenario.

Bortles reminds me of a mix of Andrew Luck and Jake Locker. He's a big, sturdy running QB with a strong arm who evades in the pocket. No disrespect to anyone, but I think the Gabbert comps are way way off. Gabbert folds when you pressure him, Bortles has that Luck magic about him when you make him move in the pocket. That said, personally I am not sold on Bortles because I think he is more like Locker than Luck, and with a slower than expected forty too, I think there is some fool's gold in him that old school types will fall for, the same minds who think Russell Wilson is just barely an average QB. Though, if Bortles does develop he could be almost as good as Andrew Luck, so I'm not saying he's a total landmine.

Jerry Jones usually does very well in the first round. :) His issues come from most everywhere else.

ASJ is a little soft. I wouldn't call him over-rated at #28 personally.

Overall, great mock though. I think Bortles and Bridgewater should probably be swapped (at least based on what I'm hearing from NFL sources), but otherwise I think the top 10 picks will look a lot like the way you have them.

Thanks, Kip. Coming from you this is a pretty big compliment.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I like Bridgewater as the first pick. It makes too much sense and I believe he's the #1 QB on the board.

My upset pick is Mack to Jax, even if Clowney is still there. Clowney doesn't seem like a Gus guy, and though Clowney could be made to fit into any defense, I'm not sure building our style of defense around him is the way to go.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":3m5y2upm said:
I like Bridgewater as the first pick. It makes too much sense and I believe he's the #1 QB on the board.

My upset pick is Mack to Jax, even if Clowney is still there. Clowney doesn't seem like a Gus guy, and though Clowney could be made to fit into any defense, I'm not sure building our style of defense around him is the way to go.

If Gus follows PC's lead he will look for guys that love ball. Clowney doesnt strike me as that. I do think Mack will have a better career when all is said and done.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":20qya1it said:
Fuzzman55":20qya1it said:

If Gus follows PC's lead he will look for guys that love ball. Clowney doesnt strike me as that. I do think Mack will have a better career when all is said and done.
I haven't seen much of Mack. What your guys opinion on his best position in a 4-3? Is he a Leo or a SAM?

danp1990

Reaction score
why do people still keep talking about ASJ in the first ??? although i do think we NEED a TE ,i just dont see us drafting one in the first.it just makes no logical sense :/. Now everybody will say well... we never pick accordingly in the Draft .NOT true! ever since JS & PC came in they've drafted according to what they saw as the building of THEIR team,That no longer applies because We Have our Core Guys now implemented,So now we Draft according to team need. none of the Ruskell/Holmgren draft picks except 1 players now are on the current roster being DT Brandon Mebane. kicker Hauschka was signed not drafted by US. that being said Our TE's coming in 2014 season as starters are 1)Zach Miller 2)Luke Willson. Zach will stay because as of Today and even after our recent signings of WR Chris Matthews,& Guard Greg Van Rotten...Our Salary Cap is $24.605 Million.I do tho see us Letting DE Chris Clemons go tho :cry: ,unfortunately as sad as it may be.THIS IS A BUSINESS,& Clemons Cap is way too heavy at $9.66Million!!! into the 2014 season.if we let him go we save $7.49Million after dead money giving us $32.095! Point is i just dont see us cutting Zack this year because he only has until next year to remain a Hawk.So i see us drafting A TE in 6-7Rounds if not through UDFA. AND IF DT AAROND DONALD IS SOMEHOW STILL THERE AR 32,THEY WILL DRAFT HIM! by far the best defensive if not BEST talent in 2014's draft! Aaron Donald is our guy at #32.After which we can draft O-line WR's and TE.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3m9vkaui said:
CALIHAWK1":3m9vkaui said:
Fuzzman55":3m9vkaui said:

I haven't seen much of Mack. What your guys opinion on his best position in a 4-3? Is he a Leo or a SAM?

Me personaly see him as a 3-4 OLB. He could also play leo. It all depends on how you view that position. Clay Mathews played it some at SC. I dont see why he couldnt in the scheme we run either. He reminds me of Sean Merriman before he got popped. Im hardly a draft nik though. Scotte or someone could have a different take and theyd probably be more accurate.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
danp1990":1cilr5w5 said:
why do people still keep talking about ASJ in the first ??? although i do think we NEED a TE ,i just dont see us drafting one in the first.it just makes no logical sense :/. Now everybody will say well... we never pick accordingly in the Draft .NOT true! ever since JS & PC came in they've drafted according to what they saw as the building of THEIR team,That no longer applies because We Have our Core Guys now implemented,So now we Draft according to team need. none of the Ruskell/Holmgren draft picks except 1 players now are on the current roster being DT Brandon Mebane. kicker Hauschka was signed not drafted by US. that being said Our TE's coming in 2014 season as starters are 1)Zach Miller 2)Luke Willson. Zach will stay because as of Today and even after our recent signings of WR Chris Matthews,& Guard Greg Van Rotten...Our Salary Cap is $24.605 Million.I do tho see us Letting DE Chris Clemons go tho :cry: ,unfortunately as sad as it may be.THIS IS A BUSINESS,& Clemons Cap is way too heavy at $9.66Million!!! into the 2014 season.if we let him go we save $7.49Million after dead money giving us $32.095! Point is i just dont see us cutting Zack this year because he only has until next year to remain a Hawk.So i see us drafting A TE in 6-7Rounds if not through UDFA. AND IF DT AAROND DONALD IS SOMEHOW STILL THERE AR 32,THEY WILL DRAFT HIM! by far the best defensive if not BEST talent in 2014's draft! Aaron Donald is our guy at #32.After which we can draft O-line WR's and TE.

Possible cuts like Clemons would put a great need on DE, no doubt about it. There's a lot to figure out in terms of needs with this team that it'll take till through free agency to answer for. In the mean time, looking at the roster as it is now, I wouldn't rule out tight end that could be addressed in the first round with the right player.

I thought drafting a running back in 2nd round last year made no sense either, but looking back on it it sorta does. Cmike was a pick for the future and insurance for the running game behind Lynch, as well as filling the empty roster spot vacated by Leon Washington, as well as being a damn good player.

The pick of ASJ could be seen as the same thing. A tight end of the future who is insurance behind Miller for the next 1-2 years, while adding to the passing game as he develops his blocking skills as the 3rd TE.

Now whether he's actually worth a first round pick is another part of that discussion. I think he is, but I don't know him as well as the husky fans on the board who I've seen downgrade him for his attitude and his lack of blocking (which I think he has the tools for).

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":q74xmk9k said:
Recon_Hawk":q74xmk9k said:
CALIHAWK1":q74xmk9k said:
Fuzzman55":q74xmk9k said:

Me personaly see him as a 3-4 OLB. He could also play leo. It all depends on how you view that position. Clay Mathews played it some at SC. I dont see why he couldnt in the scheme we run either. He reminds me of Sean Merriman before he got popped. Im hardly a draft nik though. Scotte or someone could have a different take and theyd probably be more accurate.

Cool thanks. A lot of these guys going high in the draft I don't watch much, but I still like to know how they're viewed coming out of college.

danp1990

Reaction score
I really dont see miller being cut.its a possible cap Casualty but more certain to be cut is DE Clemmons with $9.6 against the cap.

danp1990

Reaction score
Take that back!!! Jesssssus!!! Zach was going to make 4.5- 5mill against the Cap initially. ..But Currently with added Bonuses he set to make a Cap hit of "7"Million against the Cap!!! Ok ASJ Fans out there ill just say this now...If we dont Draft DT Aaron Donald with the 32 or if he's not there ill be happy with ASJ :). As much as I like TE zach miller, thats outrageous money for not a top TE.IMHO

Subzero717

Reaction score
danp1990":3394n7hf said:
Take that back!!! Jesssssus!!! Zach was going to make 4.5- 5mill against the Cap initially. ..But Currently with added Bonuses he set to make a Cap hit of "7"Million against the Cap!!! Ok ASJ Fans out there ill just say this now...If we dont Draft DT Aaron Donald with the 32 or if he's not there ill be happy with ASJ :). As much as I like TE zach miller, thats outrageous money for not a top TE.IMHO

1. No way Aaron Donald is there at 32

2. Miller does things that dont show up on a stat sheet. Like block an end!

3. If he is cut I trust there is a plan in place prior to that happening.

danp1990

Reaction score
only a few teams that are functional for Aaron Donald are 4-3 shemes, and the top teams in this years draft looking at DT are Chicago and Dallas! So yes very possible!!! besides whos's Dallas GM-" Jerry Jones" he never drafts the teams need! he always swings pro offense.if he gets past Chicago its very Possible since Dallas might part ways with DE Demarcus Ware,and have a vast need in the secondary BY the way looks as if Dallas DT Hatcher will resign...Giving Dallas less need At DT.Plus the never choose undersized players so they most likely choose DT Timmy Jernigan ! So dont point your ideas as facts with 1,2,3. and if we release Zach its true there's going to be a back-up plan. Truth is-if Zach can't restructure his contract THIS year he will be gone.i understand he is a great blocker in our zone block sheme but that doesnt mean he's untouchable.Red Bryant Was great Against Run,but He is now gone too.This is a business...So i could almost anticipate the departures of Chris Clemmons $9.6million Against the Cap and Zach's $7 million. We still have Great DE's in Benson Meyowa,Gregg Shruggs,Obrien Schofield,& Kenneth Boatright that could back up Bennett or Avril. So we will draft a TE but not with the 1st it most likely will get addressed in the late rounds 5-7 like last year.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You know after reading this I realized (and btw good job Sac, funny and solid) that ASJ would be a perfect fit in New Orleans.

Move JG out to his true position, a big ass receiver and have ASJ there to drop balls from 8 yards out. Plus, NO needs better WRs.

Latest posts