S vs W......today.

drrew

Reaction score
Sefo Liufau, QB at Colorado, is from Tacoma. Sark offered him as a DB, would not offer him as a QB.

He has 406 yards passing, 74 yards rushing and 6 TDs as Colorado and Cal head to OT in Berkeley.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Only shot Peterson had was to play field position and perhaps get lucky on a TO or win with a field goal. I usually try not to play the hindsight game on coach's decisions, but running a gadget play in that situation against a disciplined team like Stanford wasn't wise. Not wise at all.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ftctqh0 said:
Only shot Peterson had was to play field position and perhaps get lucky on a TO or win with a field goal. I usually try not to play the hindsight game on coach's decisions, but running a gadget play in that situation against a disciplined team like Stanford wasn't wise. Not wise at all.
Yep, you covered it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Huskies would have won this game if it wasn't Cyler Miles. Dude can't throw. He can only hold on to the ball and take sacks. Absolutely ridiculous. This guy is the best QB on the team....yikes.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I can't blame Petersen for the lack of an actual qb on the roster, but he very well may have lost the game with that fake punt. We probably were losing anyway, but still could've gotten lucky. The fake punt was a horrific decision

kearly

Reaction score
UW had no business being in the game. Stanford roughly tripled UW's stats. When you are having that much trouble, and you are stalled on your best drive of the second half, being aggressive makes sense. My only quibble is that it was a very obvious time for a fake punt and Stanford was ready for it. Shame it didn't work, but when a coach gets too cute I can forgive him for it when the context of the game calls for desperate decisions.

I want to say that 50% of UW's first downs in the second half came on penalties, that's what it felt like. UW couldn't do shit, and no coach should feel great around a game plan that pins your teams hopes on the other team fumbling.

The far stupider decision was him turning down the 35 yard line for a rekick. Basically, you sacrificed 15+ yards of field position for the 1% chance Ross takes it to the house. Maybe if there were 10 seconds left in the game, that decision makes sense, but with 4 minutes to go it was just dumb.

Would anyone be upset if Miles and Lindquist were kicked off the team tomorrow? To me this has to be the worst QB duo since I started following UW in 1990.

The high number of mistakes from poor execution is alarming. Miles running into a sack, Miles taking the monster intentional grounding, Miles fumbling the hurry up QB sneak, the unnecessary block in the back on the kickoff TD, the holder dropping the PAT attempt, etc.

razgriz737

Reaction score
Not getting any hopes up about Williams. If he can't even beat out Miles and Lindquist in practice he must be a complete scrub.

kearly

Reaction score
razgriz737":x6anqynm said:
Not getting any hopes up about Williams. If he can't even beat out Miles and Lindquist in practice he must be a complete scrub.

Same here, but it is an awfully low bar to clear and UW has nothing to lose by trying.

chris98251

Reaction score
If I am Peterson I am scouring the Juco Circuit looking for a QB from today forward hoping to find one that would fit the scheme and have some Moxie to lead as well.

kearly

Reaction score
Vernon Adams is in his fourth year and still has a year of eligibility left. If he graduates this year, he can, and probably should, pull a Russell Wilson and switch schools without the 1 year wait. Not saying it would happen, but I know if I was UW's AD and I could lobby him without tampering, I would be all over it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":1fc8ix9d said:
Vernon Adams is in his fourth year and still has a year of eligibility left. If he graduates this year, he can, and probably should, pull a Russell Wilson and switch schools without the 1 year wait. Not saying it would happen, but I know if I was UW's AD and I could lobby him without tampering, I would be all over it.
Good call though as a fan of EWU I'd hate to see it (attended school there one year, '75-'76, and both my nieces graduated from there in '11). Adams would be a HUGE step up for the Dawgs.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
So I watched 3 quarters and then I had to take off so I listened to the game in my truck.

Was that fake punt call as bad as it sounded on the radio? I really hope they audibled into that because if they called that on the sideline it was really crazy. 4th and 9 and even if we get the first down we were moving so poorly we were unlikely to get anything out of it.

Other long time fans should get this reference but it reminded me of when Jim Lambright called the onside kick against Nebraska in the 1990's after we had just came back to make it a game.

razgriz737

Reaction score
bigtrain21":3mboslsc said:
Was that fake punt call as bad as it sounded on the radio?
I don't know how it looked on TV but in person it was atrocious. The whole stadium started booing as soon we realized what the heck just happened. Terrible decision.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
razgriz737":30woq1hf said:
bigtrain21":30woq1hf said:
I don't know how it looked on TV but in person it was atrocious. The whole stadium started booing as soon we realized what the heck just happened. Terrible decision.

Did it take the wind out of the sails of the crowd?

HawkWow

Reaction score
bigtrain21":bi14zz6e said:
So I watched 3 quarters and then I had to take off so I listened to the game in my truck.

Was that fake punt call as bad as it sounded on the radio? I really hope they audibled into that because if they called that on the sideline it was really crazy. 4th and 9 and even if we get the first down we were moving so poorly we were unlikely to get anything out of it.

Other long time fans should get this reference but it reminded me of when Jim Lambright called the onside kick against Nebraska in the 1990's after we had just came back to make it a game.

You have a great memory. I do remember that. Lambright certainly had his moments that suggested premature senility.

Maybe you can help me with this one (it's blurry like a bad dream). We were ranked highly and playing ND. We were ahead (but by less than a TD). IIRC, (was it) Derrick Mayes messes up big (Fumbled punt return?). He's crying like that Duck last year over on the ND sideline.

We had been moving the ball with success and a 1st down seals the win for us. Mayes is still crying. Lambo runs us up the gut for little or no gain, 3 x in a row. He's playing to punt instead of playing for the game winning 1st down but Mayes keeps crying.

Our punter drops back to like our own 3 (?). BAD SNAP and he drops to a knee to field the punt. ND ball at the spot and they win a couple plays later as Mayes rejoices in our misery. I have no idea how many years ago this was, but despite his merits, it is my first thought when I think of Lambo. I believe it ended our hopes of a title shot.

I'm just sick over today's game. Not just because of the game it's self, but because there's a helluva lot of soon to be departed talent on this 2014 team. This sux for recruiting and this sux when a player might have been on the fence whether to go pro or not.

How in the hell is it that with this team, these weapons, our history (esp with QBs) and a new stadium, we end up with Cylar Miles as our best option? I just can't get my head around this at all. Sark has developed top level (college) QBs and was decent himself. He knows the position. Did Sark set us up for this fall knowing he would likely be replacing his GF Kiffin down south?

I don't think that's all that far-fetched. The man is a proven liar and cheat. Why would sabotaging this program be out of character for him? Some will suggest Miles has been on the team for a couple years and Sark left only this year. To that I say Kiffin was on his way out of SC about the same time Miles came to U-Dub. Call me crazy, I don't care. I'm pissed.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Miles better not start next game, I was there and we had as many penalty yards as we had passing yards.

kearly

Reaction score
davidonmi":16p8bpay said:
sark made a huge mistake passing on luifau

He should have have called Captain Hindsight. You can't really blame a guy for being unable to find a diamond in the rough every time.

That said, I do think it's fair to criticize Sark for the QBs he actually did recruit. Miles and Lindquist are so fundamentally terrible, you honestly wonder what could have possibly led Sark to think those guys could compete in the Pac-12. They've been so awful that you wonder how anyone could have ever seen promise in them.

kearly

Reaction score
bigtrain21":suhnfgvd said:

The play wasn't botched or anything. The problem was that Stanford was completely ready for it.

Plays like fake punts are doomed to being judged by the result. Maybe an hour before UW attempted that fake punt, there was a tie game in a fairly similar situation on the other side of the country where a heavy underdog team (Arkansas) attempted a fake punt and not only was it successful, it actually resulted in a long TD run by the punter. Arkansas would go on to lose to Texas A&M in overtime anyway, but I guarantee nobody in the press will be questioning Bret Bielema for that fake punt decision on Monday.

That's not to say Petersen should be let off the hook. He made a lot of coaching mistakes in this game, and poor decision making has become a weekly occurrence. His in game decisions are probably the worst I've seen, or at least their the worst for a coach at the very start of his tenure that I've seen. There have been 3 or 4 really dumb decisions he's made in every game.

That said, I was fine with him taking some chances in this game, though it could be argued that maybe the timing of the fake punt was a little too obvious. Anyway, if UW is clearly outmatched like they were today, you won't win by playing it safe and hoping to get very lucky in a game between the conference's two most conservative teams. You have a better chance to win if you make your own luck, but unfortunately UW failed miserably at doing that today.

Latest posts