Russell Wilson

northseahawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":3rfaqoks said:
Don't feed the trolls

You are having quite a day! Sure must be fun calling everyone with an opinion different than urs a 'troll'. SMH.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We are in the process of ruining Russell Wilson's career in this league. Quarterbacks cannot spend years behind BAD pass protection. They start hearing footsteps every time they drop back and that's that.

Don't believe me? Go look at David Carr and Marc Bulger.

We need to fix our O-line's pass pro in a critically important way.

HawkWow

Reaction score
lsheldon":32ixxatp said:
I really don't think that is the real issue at all. His game against the Redskins was plenty impressive. Without his running abilities in that game we would have lost. The failures in today's game goes much deeper than just Russell Wilson.

Totally agree. Wilson has been great this year..from pre-season up til now. If he's guilty of anything, it's setting the bar too high. Did he have his typically awesome, NFC O player of the week this week? No, he didn't. But if we are expecting Wilson to carry us on his back every week, we need to accept there will be disappointment.

This is a 3rd year QB that has been playing like a seasoned pro, practically since day 1 and has never enjoyed above average protection. He will grow from set backs like today's. Give him time and let him be human. In the past several weeks I've had to defend young, developing QBs like Cousins and Foles. Never did I think I'd be in a Seahawk forum defending Russ Wilson.

A stud pitcher can serve up 10 base hits, 10 walks and a grand slam and it will be said "he had an off night". QBs can have off nights, too. I

I doubt I've ever seen a better example of a team loss than what I witnessed today. I saw a team that didn't show up after a long road trip on a short week. Sometimes you have to look at the coaches. It's their job to keep these guys playing inspired football and I've seen all of about 8 qtrs of inspired football this entire year. I have a hunch that's about to change. Go Hawks.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":14575h69 said:
We are in the process of ruining Russell Wilson's career in this league. Quarterbacks cannot spend years behind BAD pass protection. They start hearing footsteps every time they drop back and that's that.

Awesome post, Ro. It's borderline criminal what we are doing with this rare talent. I take a ton of crap for my positions on our recent drafts, it would now be easy to say told you so...but there is nothing easy in watching RW seeing ghosts.

We brought Harvin in to win a SB. We won it. Now it's time to put the luxuries and toys aside and rebuild the foundation of this team. I only use Harvin because his trade value could find us Okung's replacement.

This idea of finding day 2 and day 3 hidden OL gems is a joke. Cable is a joke and his line is a joke. I'd encourage Mr. Allen to farm out the first day of every draft to someone not bearing the initials JS, PC or TC.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3riekr06 said:

What he said... and let's play WRs that can get just a smidge of separation.

Bryan Walters is terrible... the dude get zero separation... Paul Richardson should be playing instead.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Microfiber":ewvhf59y said:
SeaToTheHawks":ewvhf59y said:
Edited for attacking a poster

Simmer down there tough guy.... Averaging exactly 200 yards per game.... That's not very impressive.. Seems very "Alex Smith" like.... Slightly worse honestly. I was really high on Wilson, but after reading all these stats Hawk haters keep posting, I have started to realize they may indeed be correct. Above average, but not great. Around 7-10 imo.

You clearly just started watching football and have never seen the Seahawks or Russell Wilson play.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":27oueum0 said:
Microfiber":27oueum0 said:
SeaToTheHawks":27oueum0 said:
Edited for attacking a poster

Simmer down there tough guy.... Averaging exactly 200 yards per game.... That's not very impressive.. Seems very "Alex Smith" like.... Slightly worse honestly. I was really high on Wilson, but after reading all these stats Hawk haters keep posting, I have started to realize they may indeed be correct. Above average, but not great. Around 7-10 imo.

You clearly just started watching football and have never seen the Seahawks or Russell Wilson play.
QB's are supposed to throw for 300 yards a game and get 30 points in fantasy football

Jacknut16

Reaction score
HawkWow":1010wt5t said:
RolandDeschain":1010wt5t said:

Awesome post, Ro. It's borderline criminal what we are doing with this rare talent. I take a ton of crap for my positions on our recent drafts, it would now be easy to say told you so...but there is nothing easy in watching RW seeing ghosts.

We brought Harvin in to win a SB. We won it. Now it's time to put the luxuries and toys aside and rebuild the foundation of this team. I only use Harvin because his trade value could find us Okung's replacement.

This idea of finding day 2 and day 3 hidden OL gems is a joke. Cable is a joke and his line is a joke. I'd encourage Mr. Allen to farm out the first day of every draft to someone not bearing the initials JS, PC or TC.

You know, our pass protection isn't the best in the league by a shot, but its not the worst either.

One of the main issues here is that Wilson likes a deeper drop so he can see better, Ive heard this a few times from Carroll and recently from Holmgren on the KJR show last week. It makes sense that a shorter Qb would do this also, to be able to see better, and be a bit farther from the big men up front.

The problem in return is that its naturally hard to block for a QB who likes to move. On top of that, you have to try to create a larger pocket when your Qb is always taking a slightly deeper drop. This creates more space for a pass rusher to penetrate.

Its always going to be a challenge to block for RW at times, its just the way it is.

As long as RW has his legs and mobility he will be fine, but you could bring in the best line in the league and its going to have issues blocking for him at times too.

Sealake80

Reaction score
How can people say Wilson isn't a threat in the pocket. What pocket? The kid has no protection. He can't run and pass us to victory under duress every week. He's not that robot. I would love to know why ADB was screaming his head off at Wilson too. ADB dropped more that one pass. Maybe he wanted the passes nicer? Hmm the post above seems like a decent answer. I don't like it though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
That's an excellent and true observation, Jacknut. I don't want to detract from the essence of your post, in fact, I said exactly this as I threw my hawk hat against the wall when the name Russell Wilson was announced as the 75th pick in the 2012 draft. But I have since eaten that hat and it appears to me, the glaring problem is the lack of anything resembling consistency in pass pro. There are times whn the line holds their own and other times they hold the opponent, but many more times they look like helpless guards getting out of the way of a jail break. I have a few friends that played O-line at relatively high levels (Div 1). Tomorrow or the next day, they will again site the woeful pass protection RW gets. And mind you, these are not Hawk fans. At all. ; /

Still, I appreciate your insight and perhaps your take is more accurate than my own. I just want to run the ball, anyway. ; )

Jacknut16

Reaction score
HawkWow":1e91dvk1 said:
That's an excellent and true observation, Jacknut. I don't want to detract from the essence of your post, in fact, I said exactly this as I threw my hawk hat against the wall when the name Russell Wilson was announced as the 75th pick in the 2012 draft. But I have since eaten that hat and it appears to me, the glaring problem is the lack of anything resembling consistency in pass pro. There are times whn the line holds their own and other times they hold the opponent, but many more times they look like helpless guards getting out of the way of a jail break. I have a few friends that played O-line at relatively high levels (Div 1). Tomorrow or the next day, they will again site the woeful pass protection RW gets. And mind you, these are not Hawk fans. At all. ; /

Still, I appreciate your insight and perhaps your take is more accurate than my own. I just want to run the ball, anyway. ; )

I mean we won the superbowl with RW as the QB, so obviously its doable.

I just think that throwing the Oline under the bus every game is not taking everything into account.