Russell haterade

soxhawk

Reaction score
Stafford might be the better "prototypical" QB, but Wilson is creating a class of his own. No way Stafford can scramble or keep cool like Wilson. As a WR, I too would prefer someone who chucks the ball more often. As a fan, I would take Wilson all day.

John63

Reaction score
So lets look at their stats, avg per season

Stafford

3852 yards passing, 62.4 comp%, 541 attempts, 24 tds, 13ints, 1.8 td/int, Qb rating 88.4, 100 yards rushing, 3.4 ypc, 1 td

Wilson
3663 yards passing, 64.2 complt%, 466 attempts, 28 tds, 9 ints, 3.11 td/int, Qb rating 100.3, 522 rushing yards, 5.7 ypc, 2.3 tds

Hmm yup I can see how Tate thinks Stafford is great.....NOT!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's interesting. I would have thought Stafford's yards and TD's were more than they are. I like his toughness and he has a good arm etc. But, he had one of the best WR of all time to go to. And he's never won a big game.
Shoot, behind a crap o-line most of his career, Russ' numbers are so efficient. Pretty impressive. And that doesn't even show his 4th quarter comebacks, most wins ever over the first 7 years, all the playoff wins etc. And he can absolutely improve overall as a QB imo.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":rrdqbztu said:
That's interesting. I would have thought Stafford's yards and TD's were more than they are. I like his toughness and he has a good arm etc. But, he had one of the best WR of all time to go to. And he's never won a big game.
Shoot, behind a crap o-line most of his career, Russ' numbers are so efficient. Pretty impressive. And that doesn't even show his 4th quarter comebacks, most wins ever over the first 7 years, all the playoff wins etc. And he can absolutely improve overall as a QB imo.

The bad oline is an interesting thing

So lets look at it:

Stafford over his career has an oline that ranked 15th on avg with a high of 1st and low of 32nd and 4 times in the top 10

Wilson over his career has an oline that ranked 26th on avg, with a high of 20th and a low of 32nd, 0 times in the top 10.

WOW imagine what Wilson could do with the 1st ranked.

FYI Stafford best years came when he had pass blocking olines ranked, 4th, 10th, 1st, 2nd, 12th. HMM

Another thing everyone talks about what a great arm he has, his career YPA is 7.1, Wilson is 7.9.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14w7nrzo said:
xray":14w7nrzo said:
Stafford had the misfortune to be a Lion his whole career. The is no doubt his career would of been much more successful with another organization . In all fairness Stafford has been one of the few bright spots for Detroit . He is a good QB and can really sling a football. He just got stuck with a less than stellar team. Do you think that Wilson would of been a huge success if he had played for Detroit his whole career ? IMO...nope.

Stafford's had great players around him, including guys like Golden, Megatron, etc.......in fact he's probably had more talent around him on the offensive side of the ball than Russell's had.

I like Stafford, I do think he's a good QB. But I think he's missing what Russell has, which is that game on the line clutch gene. Russell's a gamer...............and I don't think Stafford is. He's just another good to sometimes great QB that shrinks when the game or season's on the line.

This IMO is not about talent, this is Golden still being butthurt over how things ended here, and more importantly how things ended with his relationship with Russell...........of which no one but those two know about.

Also a pretty good defense for a while there with Avril, Suh and some others, what they lacked was CB's oh and the counterbalance that many here hate to see, a Running game, they have not had a back of any significance since Sanders in my opinion.

LargentFan

Reaction score
Tate played with Rookie Russ and year-two Russ. All these guys putting up career numbers acting like Tate played 7 seven years with the dude.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Tate is confusing "who is better' for "who was better for Golden Tate".

LargentFan

Reaction score
Maybe Tate thinks that the Stafford he played with is better than the Russell he played with. I don't think he's comparing careers here. I think he's comparing the guy who threw him the ball versus the guy who threw him the ball. People take this as a slight, but I don't think it is.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, because the Russ he played with wasn't a Super Bowl Champion or anything. While Stafford has never even won a playoff game.

toffee

Reaction score
Is this a pattern? Post retirement, the only QB Angry praised and thanked was Tarvaris Jackson. Now Tate, who said Wilson wasn't the best QB he played with. Statistically, W/L ratios, and even eyeball test, Matt Stafford and Tarvaris Jackson were midgets compare to Wilson, yet two of his go to WRs didn't give Russ the love and respect that he clearly deserves.

Russ is #2 NFL all time passer rating, second only to Aaron Rodgers, Stafford? #22, Jackson? Not in the top 100. Make no mistake, Russ is going to HOF, not Stafford even with Golden Tate's endorsement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ng_leaders
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

LargentFan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2pjb1wl0 said:
Yeah, because the Russ he played with wasn't a Super Bowl Champion or anything. While Stafford has never even won a playoff game.
Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino confirmed.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
LargentFan":ddv8rqgz said:
SoulfishHawk":ddv8rqgz said:
Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino confirmed.

I agree with this sentiment somewhat, but I just want to stress that Matt Stafford is no Dan Marino.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2q7n32a4 said:

You're wrong ...Tate got a SB ring with Wilson.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pcbj825b said:
Exactly. Russ had nothing to do with that Title. It was all the Defense and Running Game :stirthepot:

Not to mention he is too short, and doesn't spin enough anymore. :roll:

giphy-downsized-large.gif