Russell and windy/wet conditions...

fiverabbit

Reaction score
Hi yall, I don't post much but have lurked for a few years now.
I'm copying and pasting an observation that I originally posted in the "worst throw" post-
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106660 as I thought it may warrant a little more discussion and got somewhat lost in the other thread.
"Maybe it's just me...but I think Russell struggles in the rain/wind. Although I do believe he is now 6-0 in the rain, I think the weather affects his handling of the ball (and we know how huge his hands are).
I was at the home game vs Oakland and against that team at home, Russ had 0 tds, a pick and just looked off target. The next home game vs the Giants where the weather was similar, he threw 0 TDs and two picks.
Sunday's game, 4 picks and remember how bad the weather was vs New Orleans in the playoffs last year, Russ had 100 yards no tds, no picks.
I'm confident he'll play noticeably better in Arizona...but that's just an observation."

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed he tries to put more loft on it to make the pass more catchable in wet conditions. The problem is the long ball can hang or sail in the wind and get intercepted when lofted. When he zips it in there it goes off Kearse and got intercepted because of the wet ball. It happens to the best.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Conditions should be pretty much perfect in Arizona's stadium. Mid sixties and cool, desert air.

FnkyCold

Reaction score
I've discussed this with my wife and co workers. Marshawn came through in all of those games if I remember correctly. I think either the rain affects Russel Wilson's confidence or he just has trouble adjusting. I have complete confidence that he will perform well in Arizona. I'm really only concerned with our injuries at this point.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
this is the thread I was waiting for.
I've been talking about this since the game ended.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe the qb's are affected by wind and rain.

They should be able to throw better.

Glendale will be great. A very famiiar stadium to the Hawks and RW has had some great games there.

KatarHol

Reaction score
Everyone struggles in the rain. Rodgers and Brees looked like garbage here in the rain. Palmer threw a ton of picks. Luck had a 20 rating in a wet New England game. Only Tom Brady and his deflated balls looks good in those conditions.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell has had issues with the wind and rain. Pete said on the two INTs he misjudged the wind and how much he needed to put on it. The INT in to double coverage was supposed to be a lot higher, over Dix's head so that it was between Kearse and the DB.

I think he needs to get some work done this spring in Wet and WIndy conditions.

Instead of shooting for 70% completion, Pete should have him work on his overthrows and bad weather passing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Wind is way, way worse for a QB than rain. the two together just suck.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
ivotuk":1yurwntn said:
Instead of shooting for 70% completion, Pete should have him work on his overthrows and bad weather passing.

This. For a team that plays in a place with the potential for half of your games to be in the wet, rainy, and windy slop, I'd say that's a key aspect of any quarterback on the team. Every nasty day they ought to go outside to practice. If it's especially stormy, they should practice longer. They can always make up the off time when it's sunny and dry.

And it may suck a bit more in practice, but someone once told us that the separation was in the preparation. I think that applies here.

OrFan

Reaction score
ivotuk":1yal4d5i said:
Russell has had issues with the wind and rain. Pete said on the two INTs he misjudged the wind and how much he needed to put on it. The INT in to double coverage was supposed to be a lot higher, over Dix's head so that it was between Kearse and the DB.

I think he needs to get some work done this spring in Wet and WIndy conditions.

When I heard Pete say this, it made a lot of sense. Russell throws one of the most catchable balls in the NFL. He knows exactly how much arch to put on it. Kaep throws a straight line, no arch no matter what the situation. Wilson will have more problems in the wind because of this, but I will take it any day over someone who only knows how to throw a fastball.

Once in a while there will be a game like we saw last week where the wind is a concern. The majority of the time it will not be a factor. His overall stats show that how he throws the ball is the best way to go. I am quite sure that with the way he is, that he will work on this. I like the old saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

captSE

Reaction score
The reason Russell under-performed was the first quarter was played before his body clock was okay with it - a noon game and not the traditional 1 PM game time.
Same thing in Atlanta a couple years back when the Hawks had their game at 10 AM but nearly came back in the last minute of the game and actually would have won it if PC didn't call a time out to ice the kicker but the kick went anyway and .......well, you might remember that game. Yes, crazy I know..

On another note.
Is this declaration that "WE WIN IN THE 4TH QUARTER" working against them in the other 3 quarters? I wonder...

evergreen

Reaction score
Interesting about the start time. It did seem like we showed up for the 2nd half on Offense anyway. Russell played really well down in Arizona this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it's because the balls are new, they supposedly scuff them a bit to get the plastic feeling off or sealant off or whatever it is, but anyone that has handled a new leather ball has and knows they get a level of slime feel on the wet and are harder to grip normally. I thought that the home team was able to dictate how the balls are scuffed or prepared, maybe we need to change how we do it.