Russ isn't second guessing the "play call"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":1tz8u3ip said:
He might not be questioning the play call but he is clearly questioning his throw on the inside. One the one yard line putting that ball out there high and leading him on his right shoulder was just plain stupid. Maybe for the first time he was throwing due to his lack of height. Why he didnt throw that ball low an inside where only Locket could catch it will forever haunt him. Even if its incomplete he has 2 more downs. It had nothing to do with going for the win. It was a flat out bad throw. Throw it where only the rec can catch it. We here it all the time. He made a bone head mistake, Bevel is taking all the heat because Russ sh** the bed.

I can't agree with this. If the corner does not diagnose the play so quickly, that ball would have hit Lockette right in the numbers. If Rusell throws it low, does anyone have an ounce of faith in Ricardo Lockett to make a circus catch?

No, I truly can't blame him for this poor play call . . . one that virtually trapped Wilson into making the throw.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
So what, then Lockett doesnt catch it! thats the point, in the biggest moment in life he could have easily minimized risk. If butler wasnt there he catches it high on the right shoulder. Its not a circus catch at all, its a routine low and inside catch that every QB an rec work on since they were in high school and college. Put the ball where only the rec gets it. Obviously Russ had faith, he threw the dam ball. Problem is that it was just a horrible throw.

TwilightError

Reaction score
It's one thing to get over a pick, another to get over 'this pick'. No we see how tough he really is.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course he's not second guessing, he's walking the company line just like Pete.....and it's what he should do.

Any successful organization shows a united front after a disaster like this, the ones who publicly question authority are the ones that crumble apart from the inside.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Sometimes a leader has to be confident in their gameplan. Pete Carroll, Darrell Bevell, Russell Wilson all agree with that call and aren't backing down. That's what leaders do. Leaders don't backtrack from their calls. If they admit choosing the wrong playcall, why are they leading the team?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I love Russell Wilson.

Per Colin Cowherd, there were 106 pass attempts this year from the 1 yards line, 66 Touchdowns, 0 interceptions. Until the Superbowl.

It was too complicated of a play and depended on Kearse and Lockette doing their jobs, which they didn't.

Seafan

Reaction score
5 Ints in the playoffs. He has some room to grow. I was cringing on that last play when I saw him looking to pass.

Russ needed to throw a perfect pass and he didn't. Hopefully in the future the Hawks won't need to depend on him throwing from the pocket.

randomation

Reaction score
2 of those picks were on Kearse, 2 more were heavily effected by the Weather which also effected Rodgers. The last one was a brilliant play by a cb on a stupid as hell playcall. Let's not act like we have Andrew "The Turn Over Machine" Luck back there.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
A COMPLETELY dumb@$$ pass play, followed by a bad throw from Wilson. All of it never should have been ( which is also why 98% of fans and analysts continue to say as much to this day). This 2nd down pass play was not only called because the run was expected, it was called in order to put the game winner in Wilson's hands. After which, it would go to the correct choice (and real mvp of the SB), Lynch. Sorry. I've seen no arguments swaying me to view otherwise so far.

Wilson not only failed miserably with the (horrid) play's pass, but (and as many others have noted) failed miserably as a leader right then and there in the decision to execute it without question. A season's worth of much of the exact opposite...pi$$ed away in a fleeting moment. Ah, this game...this true team sport where the term "ANY GIVEN SUNDAY" always applies.

Most see right through the pressers that follow. It's going by the numbers (best it can that is, because this one was a doozy and rightfully so).

But ya know what? It happens. Leaders can fail. Coaches can fail. It just happened to occur at the game deciding point in the superbowl. It's the reason it stings so much.

Lessons will be learned, sure! But returns to the superbowl a third time in row? Not likely, although nothing's " impossible with the hawks" right now. However, do take a look at next year's schedule.

Latest posts