Run the football to set up play action

Jville

Reaction score
Cards rushed for 142yards on 38 carries .... verses 25 pass attempts

Seahawks rushed for 103 yards on 20 carries ..... verses 27 pass attempts

Time of possession Cards 37:24 verses Seahawks 22.36

Running the football to set up play action and chunk plays works.

Seattle couldn't run the ball at will today.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
OK that was against the best run defense in the NFL...and we still got 100+. This is not the problem here.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seattle might've had a better time running the ball if Bevell actually used the fullback once in a while.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Analyst will have a field day with this game. The running game has been a growing concern for a number of weeks now. This game should bring it to the forefront of Seahawk discussion.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Here is another nugget for the analysts this week.

Seahawk Third Down Efficiency ...... 2 for 13 .... 15%

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
kmedic":1wq4oafa said:
And who's to blame for that? Offensive line. Cable better be reaming some new a-holes this week.

Did you know that the Seahawk offensive line enjoys the biggest cap number in all the land? Number one, as the most expensive, at almost $27 million for 2013.

kmedic

Reaction score
Jville":3oibwlc9 said:
kmedic":3oibwlc9 said:
And who's to blame for that? Offensive line. Cable better be reaming some new a-holes this week.

Did you know that the Seahawk offensive line enjoys the biggest cap number in all the land? Number one, as the most expensive, at almost $27 million for 2013.

As bad as the hit rate has been under the PC era, I still think we have to use a first rounder on a guard this offseason. Our current stable of guards are holding back this offense big time IMO.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
megamanflx1":opat34fu said:
OK that was against the best run defense in the NFL...and we still got 100+. This is not the problem here.

27 of those yards were on a single Russell Wilson run. How do you feel now?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
kmedic":19pe8kdh said:
Jville":19pe8kdh said:
kmedic":19pe8kdh said:

As bad as the hit rate has been under the PC era, I still think we have to use a first rounder on a guard this offseason. Our current stable of guards are holding back this offense big time IMO.

I think of the Moffit and Carpenter draft.

Then I think about the huge difference in the make ups of Carpenter and Sweezy.

Burning a 1st scares me.

Seahawk79

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":37xloyiw said:
megamanflx1":37xloyiw said:

Lynch averaged 4 yards per carry against the #1 run defense in the NFL, sounds pretty good to me. 11 completions for 108 yards is the stat that should stand out, not our run game or defense. It was tough yards today for sure, but it wasn't the issue. I think RW can be too cerebral at times, not trusting his WR's a chance to just go get it.

The line gave him time against single coverage today, and he still would put let it fly. I understand that's also why he doesn't turn the ball over, but sometimes I think think it takes some of our explosiveness away. He's had a great year, and will continue to get better. I'm not worried about Russ, but it wasn't our run game that didn't show up today.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Seahawk79":2fbpwaen said:
HawKnPeppa":2fbpwaen said:
megamanflx1":2fbpwaen said:

Lynch averaged 4 yards per carry against the #1 run defense in the NFL, sounds pretty good to me. 11 completions for 108 yards is the stat that should stand out, not our run game or defense. It was tough yards today for sure, but it wasn't the issue. I think RW can be too cerebral at times, not trusting his WR's a chance to just go get it.

The line gave him time against single coverage today, and he still would put let it fly. I understand that's also why he doesn't turn the ball over, but sometimes I think think it takes some of our explosiveness away. He's had a great year, and will continue to get better. I'm not worried about Russ, but it wasn't our run game that didn't show up today.

The running back was limited to only 18 carries. The assertion is that 18 is an inadequate number of carries to set up effective play action. When the offense gets on a roll, they run the ball over 50% of the plays.

hawk45

Reaction score
This was a game where I thought a good plan would be to pass to set up the run. It worked in the first half, inasmuch as when Lynch did get the ball he had room to run. Unfortunately I think the OL doesn't protect well enough, and receivers don't get enough separation, for this strategy to really be a fit for us. Still, I felt like there were chances in the first half that Russ blew, so in the first half execution seemed to be the bigger problem (to me) than playcalling.

In the second half we were so putrid I don't know where to go in terms of pointing at something. I think I'll just parrot what others have said which is that the offensive players, special teams, and coaches all get the raspberry for the results.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2f01b5nh said:
I thought we tried to run wide on them too often.

I agree, and AZ run right u the gut numerous times for 4-6 yards almost every time.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
kmedic":lyqkfe7v said:
Jville":lyqkfe7v said:
kmedic":lyqkfe7v said:

In the future, I would like to hear about prospects with great feet .... happy feet.

I'm burned out on the notion that zone blocking accomodates less than good footwork.

hawk45

Reaction score
The mind meld between Pete and JS with respect to finding guys to fit the scheme is insane. The mind meld between Cable and JS hasn't been nearly as impressive. When you don't have that crazy meshing, sometimes you have to use more or higher draft picks.

I just...sure hope those draft picks don't end up like Carp and Moffit.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
hawk45":2qa5pd1w said:
The mind meld between Pete and JS with respect to finding guys to fit the scheme is insane. The mind meld between Cable and JS hasn't been nearly as impressive. When you don't have that crazy meshing, sometimes you have to use more or higher draft picks.

I just...sure hope those draft picks don't end up like Carp and Moffit.

I hear that.

I suspect Tom Cable is in transition. I don't know that for sure ..... but that is my assumption. I think that transition started after the Carp and Moffit draft. I credit PC, JS and his staff for encouraging Cable to look outside the box at conversion prospects and such. Breno Giacomini was a JS signing from Packer days. I would like to think ...... hope that Cable is placing greater emphasis on feet and ballance.

I'm certain the evolution of the offense is running behind that of the defense. But the offense is evolving never the less and that includes the evolution of relationships among coaches and staff.

Latest posts