Run run pass?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well, not quite.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1455586238933741582[/tweet]

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I see "they're just gonna run, run, pass like usual" type comments (usually in the Game Day Forum). It's almost always wrong. If I have the time I go back and pull all the drives for them to demonstrate. Just like "they're going to go one and done like they have so often" comments, it's lazy hyperbole.

John63

Reaction score
bmorepunk":27vu4q67 said:
I see "they're just gonna run, run, pass like usual" type comments (usually in the Game Day Forum). It's almost always wrong. If I have the time I go back and pull all the drives for them to demonstrate. Just like "they're going to go one and done like they have so often" comments, it's lazy hyperbole.

So just because they did not do run-run-pass a lot in 1 game does not mean that is not the norm.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
bmorepunk":7npahiyf said:
Group think is a hell of a drug

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bmorepunk":30uo875g said:

Very few NFL teams stray too far away from the 50/50 run/pass percentage ratio of playcalls.

Most Hawk fans aren't complaining that we run the ball to much, they're complaining about Pete's predictable schemes and playcalling.

Like the Saints game where he continued to run into 8-9 man boxes in the 2nd half.

Many many more examples of this through Pete's tenure. So no, it's not about run run pass, it's about not being layered and dynamic enough in playcalling, adjustments and within the confines of Pete's base schemes and philosophy.

Waldron was supposed to help with this, and other than the Colts game, we've seen very little of the layered complexity and misdirection (McVay's Ram's offense).

I understand most of this has to do with Russell, and to a lesser extent Eskridge getting hurt. But even when Russell was healthy it seemed we reverted back to what Pete's comfortable with.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When they ran it 8 straight times, right up the gut, against the #2 run defense in the league (Saints)

That is just plain horrible coaching.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3qgqe6q0 said:
bmorepunk":3qgqe6q0 said:

So just because they did not do run-run-pass a lot in 1 game does not mean that is not the norm.

Thank you for admitting that you did not even look at the chart, which clearly is visualizing more than 1 game of data.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3jvzl338 said:
When they ran it 8 straight times, right up the gut, against the #2 run defense in the league (Saints) That is just plain horrible coaching.

Is there really any other conclusion than this? It was horrific. And add to the fact they didn't shadow/double/triple Kamara the entire game and that just shows our hand that we are just not very good at coaching. That was a winnable game we pissed away because the coaching sucked. Period.

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":plqnhxgc said:
SoulfishHawk":plqnhxgc said:
When they ran it 8 straight times, right up the gut, against the #2 run defense in the league (Saints) That is just plain horrible coaching.

Is there really any other conclusion than this? It was horrific. And add to the fact they didn't shadow/double/triple Kamara the entire game and that just shows our hand that we are just not very good at coaching. That was a winnable game we pissed away because the coaching sucked. Period.

I think I'm the only person on the planet that didn't bother... I was thinking it's raining like a mo fo better to just run it in a tight game in the 4th rather than take a chance on turning the ball over on a stupid play... thats what I was thinking...

Ok I'm different LMAO!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When someone asks me why I would like a change at Head Coach, it's real simple. The refusal or even an effort to adjust in game. Over and over and over and over again. Pete is a good coach, but his best days are behind him. The coaching on this 2021 team has been brutal, much of the time. And flat out has cost the team games. Yet, he does things "his way" and is loyal to Norton. Enough already.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If Waldren could speak freely in some dark alley he would likely say something like this...

"Wow man I really thought I would have a lot more freedom to implement my plan but Pete just won't have it. He has to have his tendrals in every aspect of the play calling. When he told me to just keep handing the ball off over and over and over against the Saints and their number two run defense I was like, okaaaay?!?"

Tell me I am not too far from the truth.

LTH

Reaction score
I wish we did know who made that call... and how Waldron feels about his position... I don't know maybe it was Pete maybe it was Waldron maybe it was a consensus...

what would have happened if Geno dropped back for a pass, got hit, fumbled the ball or threw a pick cause he couldn't grip the ball cause of the rain... then everybody would be pissed because of that..

it wasn't the reason they lost the game

but I can see how its frustrating

LTH

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Aros":2oz7et64 said:
If Waldren could speak freely in some dark alley he would likely say something like this...

"Wow man I really thought I would have a lot more freedom to implement my plan but Pete just won't have it. He has to have his tendrals in every aspect of the play calling. When he told me to just keep handing the ball off over and over and over against the Saints and their number two run defense I was like, okaaaay?!?"

Tell me I am not too far from the truth.

This very well could be the case, but really nobody knows. People say something often enough with enough conviction and people take it as proven fact. It is not a proven fact. The fact is that people want to believe that's how things work with the offense. It's the only explanation that fans are willing to accept at this point. We're never gonna know for sure either way.

Fade

Reaction score
It is very easy to tell actually.

The week 1 offense, they looked like the Rams, it was amazing. So much movement, attacking all levels of the field, outside zone focus, with boot and rollout action off of it. It was a dream come true in a sense.

But as the weeks have gone by it just started creeping back to what it's been. Stagnant, straightforward, predictable, blunt-forced, Pete-ball.

Wait teams out, don't attack opponents weaknesses, run for the sake of running, chuck it deep, sack, punt. You cannot win in the playoffs with this plan. That is if they even make the playoffs.

Jville

Reaction score
There is a distinct difference between coaching and play calling.

Coaching: The act or practice of giving special instruction or training, as for a college examination or an athletic contest.

Play Calling: The calling of instructions to one's team as to which play to adopt as the game progresses.

Jville

Reaction score
With regards to play calling specifically, offensive coordinators call in instructions ..... which include ..... if this then that ..... instruction options. The veteran quarterback makes the final decision based on what he sees pre-snap. Russell Wilson was turned lose and given full authority a couple years ago.

It's the "ya don't know what ya don't know" ...... that continues to allow room for fictional conclusions and assertions by fans everywhere.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Fade":3ebt1wui said:
It is very easy to tell actually.

The week 1 offense, they looked like the Rams, it was amazing. So much movement, attacking all levels of the field, outside zone focus, with boot and rollout action off of it. It was a dream come true in a sense.

But as the weeks have gone by it just started creeping back to what it's been. Stagnant, straightforward, predictable, blunt-forced, Pete-ball.

Wait teams out, don't attack opponents weaknesses, run for the sake of running, chuck it deep, sack, punt. You cannot win in the playoffs with this plan. That is if they even make the playoffs.

They know what and who the problem is, they are just being obtuse.

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Jville":37mt1wob said:
With regards to play calling specifically, offensive coordinators call in instructions ..... which include ..... if this then that ..... instruction options. The veteran quarterback makes the final decision based on what he sees pre-snap. Russell Wilson was turned lose and given full authority a couple years ago.

It's the "ya don't know what ya don't know" ...... that continues to allow room for fictional conclusions and assertions by fans everywhere.

no he wasn't, and we know that based on watching the game.

wilson has been a scapegoat for carroll for far too long.

hawker84

Reaction score
Numbers and charts and analytics are all great, but it doesn't change the fact we have a head coach stuck in 2014 and can't seem to see or refuses to see he has been figured out, on both sides of the ball. This team has been running in mud for years because we still:

1. Can't convert on 3rd downs
2. Can't get off the field on 3rd downs.
3. Can't stop committing bonehead deadball penalties.
4. Can't in-game adjust until the 4th qrt on either side of the ball.
5. Can't mange the clock or timeouts to save our life.
6. Can't develope quick passing games to counter the blitz.
7. Can't cover backs and tight ends.
8. Can't pass protect to save our life.

I mean the list goes on and on. Week after week, year after year.

So cool, we don't run as much as most people make out. Really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We still are not reaching our potential year in and year out, and the reason why starts at the top...

What do they say about the definition of insanity?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawker84":397kxnhh said:
Numbers and charts and analytics are all great, but it doesn't change the fact this team is stuck in 2014 and out head coach can't see or refuses to admit we have been figures out. On both sides of the ball. This team has been running in mud for years because we still:

1. We can't convert on 3rd downs
2. Can't get off the field on 3rd downs.
3. Can't stop committing bonehead deadball penalties.
4. Can't in-game adjust until the 4th qrt on either side of the ball.
5. Can't mange the clock or timeouts to save our life.
6. Can't develope quick passing games to counter the blitz.
7. Can't cover backs and tight ends.
Can't pass protect to save our life.

I mean the list goes on and on. Week after week, year after year.

So cool, we don't run as much as most people make out. Really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.. we still are not reaching our potential year in and year out.

What do they say about the definition of insanity?

Jesus. You lot really know how to take specific data points responding to one inaccurate trope and broaden the scope to a wholehearted endorsement of the coaching staff, lol.

No offense meant, but that is really really really not at all what I'm saying. Just combatting a single inaccurate yet pervasive falsehood (run run pass being too prevalent in the Seahawks offense) that gets posted ad nauseam.