Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

gowazzu02

Reaction score
hawks85":1zm1h47h said:
Well there you have it. Seattle is no longer interested in Clowney. Its on NFL.com. I knew it Clowney screwed up sitting out this long. Now hes going to have to sign with a not so good franchise. I'm glad hes no here. WAY over hyped.

We don't know anything... for all we know this is a negotiation ploy by the seahawks.

Nothing is official until he signs. somewhere....

This org is so tight lipped what makes you think this is actually true? Have you not paid attention to every draft Seattle has ever had. Nothing ever slips. Nothing.

hawks85

Reaction score
rcaido":3a3q8tg0 said:
hawks85":3a3q8tg0 said:
Well there you have it. Seattle is no longer interested in Clowney. Its on NFL.com. I knew it Clowney screwed up sitting out this long. Now hes going to have to sign with a not so good franchise. I'm glad hes no here. WAY over hyped.

Overhyped? Did you not watch the games he played last season? The guy got double team so many times & was just amazing disrupter...

Ansah didn't do jack, Reed was out half the season, & Collier was non impactful rookie. With the addition Irvin & Mayowa and maybe even one more, pass rushing can be one of our strength this coming season.

We should wait as long as possible to get Clowney, Griffin is nice but not even close to his prime now, he's been on the decline for years. Clowney is not.
Yes overhyped. He had one overall dominant game against SF. Couple other games he was good, but hes inconsistent. I dont care if he got doubled team. Khalil Mack is doubled team all the time and he's a nightmare every game. Clowney is no where near that...Yet. He's got potential to be a Mack type player. We will be fine without Clowney. Clowney is chasing money right now. This guy thought he would have 5-6 deals on the table worth 20 plus mil a year. He's STILL waiting for that. No team is going to pay that. Maybe the browns. He messed around to much sitting and waiting now his choices are very slim. Wouldnt be surprised if he signd with the browns.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If there was a better deal on the table than what Seattle has offered, he would be gone already. As this goes on, and the draft approaches, he is painting himself further and further into a corner.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't think the Hawks ever offered $18.5..To do that would be
stupid yeah cut Britt and then we are patching the line again.
It wouldn't be just Britt either..I think they did offer $14 and that
is posted in a pic.He can take that or we can get guys who really
want to play here..One might be a 1 yr but I think we will be ok
without JC.

hawks85

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3t14lvsr said:
I don't think the Hawks ever offered $18.5..To do that would be
stupid yeah cut Britt and then we are patching the line again.
It wouldn't be just Britt either..I think they did offer $14 and that
is posted in a pic.He can take that or we can get guys who really
want to play here..One might be a 1 yr but I think we will be ok
without JC.
No one offered 18.5. All the offers were 12-15 range and Seattle's offer was the highest. Clowney's best bet is to choose the best remaining team chasing him pick the highest one and roll with it. Seattle isn't one of those remaining teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":umb130g1 said:
I am a huge fan of the FO and think that Jn’P have been brilliant in finding the guys that fit the schemes they want to run, but this year their response to an obvious stated priority fixing their pass rush has been confusing. I truly dislike repeating negativity surrounding the team but the draft unfortunately has not yielded much help with the pass rush for some time now.

No one should have been thinking that we were fixing the pass rush in one off season.

When you have needs all over the roster as we do (DE, TE, O-line, RB, DB), you can't just throw ALL of your cap at one position group.

Pete and John know the pass rush was an issue, and will continue to be an issue until they can get a couple playmakers and the depth needed to get that position group back to where it needs to be.

But again, as we've seen with all the O-line signings, trade for Dunbar, signing of Olsen, etc. that's all eaten into what we can spend on all these expensive D-lineman in free agency...........and it's certainly why we've played hardball with Clowney not giving into his per year demands.

Here's what we do know, just as like last year when we grabbed Clowney for a 3rd round pick, Pete and John always have a plan B and plan C. So if the Clowney deal isn't happening, I know they'll figure something out in order to bring in a front line DE.

Schadie001

Reaction score
I think what is being lost in this conversation is the fact that if Seattle pays or overpays for Clowney, regardless of how good he is, we will not have another piece to go with him and he will be ineffective. We only have a finite number of dollars in the cap to address needs on this team, pass rush being a huge need. I don't think anyone is arguing that Clowney is not a great player. But as pointed out several times, without another at least very solid player also rushing, teams double him and render him ineffective. IF we pay him 17-18 million a year he won't have help and will be double teamed all year and we won't be any better off than last year. One piece of the puzzle doesn't help, you have to have all the pieces. Clowney's market given the circumstances is not 17-21 Mil, or he would be signed. We should not overpay regardless, this is why we have offered what we have.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And like I've mentioned before, regardless WHAT the do, people are gonna' bash them. If they sign him to big money, they are "stupid" for paying that much. If they don't sign him, they are "stupid" for not signing him.
The entire league has passed on signing this guy so far, not just the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schadie001":1db3levj said:
I think what is being lost in this conversation is the fact that if Seattle pays or overpays for Clowney, regardless of how good he is, we will not have another piece to go with him and he will be ineffective. We only have a finite number of dollars in the cap to address needs on this team, pass rush being a huge need. I don't think anyone is arguing that Clowney is not a great player. But as pointed out several times, without another at least very solid player also rushing, teams double him and render him ineffective. IF we pay him 17-18 million a year he won't have help and will be double teamed all year and we won't be any better off than last year. One piece of the puzzle doesn't help, you have to have all the pieces. Clowney's market given the circumstances is not 17-21 Mil, or he would be signed. We should not overpay regardless, this is why we have offered what we have.

Certainly not all the pieces, but I disagree that the additions of guys like Mayowa, Irvin and hopefully a fully healthy Reed who's ready to roll from day one..............and the combo of the younger guys already on the roster and whoever we draft is better than who Clowney had to play with last year, which was basically nobody.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1gpdcho8 said:
" we grabbed Clowney for a 3rd round pick"

We grabbed Clowney for a 3rd round pick + 2 players from our roster.

I think we did just without Mingo's six combined tackles and no sacks last year..........and you'd happily give up two role players and a 3rd round pick this year for another front line DE.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39ucpk8n said:
No one should have been thinking that we were fixing the pass rush in one off season..
All they need to do now is sign two players like Clowney and Griffen, which can easily be done. Pass rush fixed in one off-season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":37m5ce7o said:
Sgt. Largent":37m5ce7o said:
No one should have been thinking that we were fixing the pass rush in one off season..
All they need to do now is sign two players like Clowney and Griffen, which can easily be done. Pass rush fixed in one off-season.

How so?

We've got 12M of cap.........and the combined cap hit of signing both Griffen and Clowney as it stands is well north of 30M a year. Clowney's asking for 17-18M, and you'd assume Griffen is at least 12-15M.

So to get there you'd have to cut Britt, KJ and probably Fluker too, add in 5M to sign all your draft picks and your math doesn't work without cutting 2-3 guys, of which opens up more roster holes.

As it stands right now even JUST signing Clowney means cutting Britt. 12M cap + 11M savings on Britt = 23M. Pay Clowney the 17-18M he's asking for that leaves you not enough to sign all your picks.

So you want Griffen too? Who else are you cutting?

Largent80

Reaction score
They have 10 mil in cap space. Pretty hard to squeeze two high paid DE's onto the roster with that amount.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ryl28vs said:
How so?

We've got 12M of cap.........and the combined cap hit of signing both Griffen and Clowney as it stands is well north of 30M a year. Clowney's asking for 17-18M, and you'd assume Griffen is at least 12-15M.

So to get there you'd have to cut Britt, KJ and probably Fluker too, add in 5M to sign all your draft picks and your math doesn't work without cutting 2-3 guys, of which opens up more roster holes.

As it stands right now even JUST signing Clowney means cutting Britt. 12M cap + 11M savings on Britt = 23M. Pay Clowney the 17-18M he's asking for that leaves you not enough to sign all your picks.

The rumors are Griffen is looking for a deal in the range of 8-10M.

Releasing Moore, Hunt, Jackson, Britt opens up $15M. Trading Hollister would free up another $3.2M if need be. Fluker is a possibility if they think Jones or someone else is an upgrade over him. All those guys can be replaced by cheap rookies. They already have Finney to replace Britt. Pocic or a draft pick could be backup Center.

They can even structure Clowney's contract to make it fit. Frank Clark only had a $6m cap hit last season for the Chiefs after signing for $21 APY.

getnasty

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people ever thought we were getting Clowney and Griffin especially after we signed Irvin and Mayowa. It was a pipe dream even before we signed those guys but would make absolutely zero sense with those guys signed now. Get Clowney or Griffin and draft a couple of guys eadly to help with the pass rush.

HawaiiD

Reaction score
I would laugh so hard if Clowney Signs with the Browns and we end up winning this years Super Bowl!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Bring back Clowney on a one-year deal, if nothing else, or a two-year deal with his one year number as the guaranteed part. I believe Pete and John will find a way to bring Clowney back. We'll see if Russell finds a way to help. If they can get Clowney back, in a team-talent-level-compatible way, it bodes very well for the coming season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
massari":2r7bmrcb said:
Sgt. Largent":2r7bmrcb said:
How so?

The rumors are Griffen is looking for a deal in the range of 8-10M.

Releasing Moore, Hunt, Jackson, Britt opens up $15M. Trading Hollister would free up another $3.2M if need be. Fluker is a possibility if they think Jones or someone else is an upgrade over him. All those guys can be replaced by cheap rookies. They already have Finney to replace Britt. Pocic or a draft pick could be backup Center.

They can even structure Clowney's contract to make it fit. Frank Clark only had a $6m cap hit last season for the Chiefs after signing for $21 APY.
Getting rid of all those guys you listed for 2 players?I see holes with weak and inexperienced
players that gets us nowhere.
I like how you used Clarks cap hit for KC last year so lets examine that a bit.
2019-$6.5
2020-$19.3
2021-$25.8
2022-$26.3
2023-$27.8
KC has $3 million in cap and Clark is the highest paid after a Watkins restructure.They still have to
pay the greatest QB ever :roll:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ds6q8e4 said:
jammerhawk":2ds6q8e4 said:
I am a huge fan of the FO and think that Jn’P have been brilliant in finding the guys that fit the schemes they want to run, but this year their response to an obvious stated priority fixing their pass rush has been confusing. I truly dislike repeating negativity surrounding the team but the draft unfortunately has not yielded much help with the pass rush for some time now.

No one should have been thinking that we were fixing the pass rush in one off season.

------------
---------------
------------

Here's what we do know, just as like last year when we grabbed Clowney for a 3rd round pick, Pete and John always have a plan B and plan C. So if the Clowney deal isn't happening, I know they'll figure something out in order to bring in a front line DE.

One season? Last year pretty much was one of the worst seasons of all time for the Seahawks pass rush.

If fixing the pass rush was the top offseason priority they have pretty much whiffed so far. JMO

If they wait long enough will there be any worthwhile players left to allow for a Plan B or C?