Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

Largent80

Reaction score
I am getting to the point where I don't want them to re-sign Clowney. This is the second time in 2 years he has been difficult for the "incumbent" team to sign.

The Seahawks routinely rush 4 over 75% of the time and for a player on the DL whose job it is to be consistent at getting the QB, Clowney hasn't done it consistantly enough.

Cut Moore?...they just re-signed him...Cut Hollister who was the only reliable TE we had last year, then cut Britt, and his backup Hunt?....to keep a player like Clowney?, No Thanks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'd like for him to come back, but you make a good point. This is the 2nd time he's done this, and it is getting a little old. I realize it's "just a business" and that the covid thing is an issue. Plus, not being able to meet teams in person is an issue. But at the same time, most of the big names have signed with other teams. If they sign him, great. If not, I'll be fine with Yannick and/or Griffen. If they could somehow afford both, great. Not a fan of cutting a bunch of guys just to get Clowney in here. And it certainly isn't Russ' job to restructure just to get him in. He already did it with Duane Brown. For people act like he doesn't care about winning if he doesn't restructure again? Come on. And go ahead and call me a Russ loving Troll, don't care one bit.

Largent80

Reaction score
Were down to 7 draft picks now. We need LB as well. They have only 10 mil in cap right now.

They need to use #27 and keep what they have in rounds 2 and 3.....

Trading away any picks and not having the money said player would command is not going to happen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I fully expect their standard trade down in the 1st round to grab an extra 3. Shoot, it only takes one team that really wants to move up to 27 to give them a decent haul, maybe even a 2.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I'm actually intrigued by Griffen/Ford/Reed/Mayowa, that's a solid run/pass front four, with Irvin, Shaquem, Bobby, Barton blitzing and in space, with the improved secondary, any rookies that contribute early just make us that much better, think joey hunt is gone, little worried about britt hope we keep him. Draft bpa, maybe LT, get a speedy edge, TE depth, RB depth, DB depth.. etc.... gosh I hope there's a season this year.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I would much prefer we use the draft to obtain a few high quality players than a herd of disposable projects.
At issue is our limited cap + trade stock in picks. Other than rnd 1 pick come at a much lower price than proven players you trade them for. But there is almost certainly a big difference in quality between the proven guy over what you get in the later rounds of the draft.
We already have draft value invested in Clowney. That increases his value to us. To move on from him and trade for Yannick reverses that value to a deficit. Both those things make Griff the best value available at the moment. But the difference between Yannik and Clowney is we've already paid part of the cost for Clowney so that makes him a better value than YN...so long as Clowney is actually healthy. If not he is a liability at any price.
We need to let the draft happen before we do anything else, and draft to BPA for most pressing need.
Our most pressing needs are D Line, O Line, and RB.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I don’t think he will re-sign with us. My reasoning is this.

1. Just an assumption but he was probably insulted at the Seahawks offer.
2. He lost a lot of money because of his low sack number. Why was his sack total so low? Because the rest of the defensive line sucked and he was double teamed and game planned around. Since the d-line has gotten WORSE this off season he can expect double teams and low sack numbers NEXT year which puts him in the exact same situation one year from now. A lot of other teams have enough talent on their defensive line to at least keep the o-line honest so he gets full value in 12 months. We don’t.
3. Maybe he sees our defensive coordinator sucks?

poly1274

Reaction score
HawaiiD":facmvakz said:
I would laugh so hard if Clowney Signs with the Browns and we end up winning this years Super Bowl!

hawks85":facmvakz said:
Largent80":facmvakz said:
I'm burned out on this Clowney BS....

I don't even care any more. We had him last year and were one of the worst lines in the league.

Screw him if he wont sign here, go to Cleveland where careers die.
I've been saying this since FA started. Cloweney is good but not great. He's way over-hyped. At this point I dont care if he signs here or not. Honerstly I hope he signs somewhere else. He's acting like he's the king of the edge rusher. When in reality he's slightly above average. People don't wanna hear that but its the truth. He had some good games but so what. He's inconsistent. He has the potential of being a complete nightmare on every play. He already screwed up. He's gonna have to sign with a underachiever like the Browns or Dolphins etc...if he wants to get paid. Seattle offered him his value and Clowney felt disrespected. Well hes not worth 18.5 a year. I would pay him 12-15 and if he didnt sign then time to move on.

Um... The Browns have a really good roster.

If Clowney signs with the Browns, they would be favorite to win the SB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's quite a stretch. Favorite to win the whole thing? That team still has plenty to prove, a hell of a roster doesn't always equate to winning. And a QB who is a turnover machine and often a complete idiot. That team is a bunch of drama queens who are more about themselves than the team. Super Bowl with Mayfield..... :?

Even WITH Clowney, there are plenty of teams I wouldn't hesitate to take before the Browns.
Chiefs, Ravens, Hawks, Saints, Niners to name a few.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
poly1274":1iju3u2z said:
HawaiiD":1iju3u2z said:
I would laugh so hard if Clowney Signs with the Browns and we end up winning this years Super Bowl!

hawks85":1iju3u2z said:
Largent80":1iju3u2z said:

I don't even care any more. We had him last year and were one of the worst lines in the league.

I've been saying this since FA started. Cloweney is good but not great. He's way over-hyped. At this point I dont care if he signs here or not. Honerstly I hope he signs somewhere else. He's acting like he's the king of the edge rusher. When in reality he's slightly above average. People don't wanna hear that but its the truth. He had some good games but so what. He's inconsistent. He has the potential of being a complete nightmare on every play. He already screwed up. He's gonna have to sign with a underachiever like the Browns or Dolphins etc...if he wants to get paid. Seattle offered him his value and Clowney felt disrespected. Well hes not worth 18.5 a year. I would pay him 12-15 and if he didnt sign then time to move on.

With Mayfield as QB? :lol: :lol: :lol:
A drama queen at WR? :lol: :lol: :lol:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
poly1274":11cxrfhc said:
HawaiiD":11cxrfhc said:

LLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLL Thanks man, I haven't laughed like that in a while with all that's going on. I really needed that.

HAHAHA browns super bowl favorite. BAhhahahhahahahahahahahaha

poly1274

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":sql7h8ya said:
That's quite a stretch. Favorite to win the whole thing? That team still has plenty to prove, a hell of a roster doesn't always equate to winning. And a QB who is a turnover machine and often a complete idiot. That team is a bunch of drama queens who are more about themselves than the team. Super Bowl with Mayfield..... :?

Even WITH Clowney, there are plenty of teams I wouldn't hesitate to take before the Browns.

gowazzu02":sql7h8ya said:
poly1274":sql7h8ya said:
HawaiiD":sql7h8ya said:

LLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLL Thanks man, I haven't laughed like that in a while with all that's going on. I really needed that.

Not sure how to quote the other guy but Mayfield doesn't need to do that much when they have Chubb and Hunt as a 1-2 punch.

If Clowney plays with Garrett and Sheldon Richardson, Browns will have one of the most dominant DL. If Clowney comes in, all they have to do is fix their OL.

chris98251

Reaction score
poly1274":iyahvuys said:
SoulfishHawk":iyahvuys said:

gowazzu02":iyahvuys said:
poly1274":iyahvuys said:
HawaiiD":iyahvuys said:

Not sure how to quote the other guy but Mayfield doesn't need to do that much when they have Chubb and Hunt as a 1-2 punch.

If Clowney plays with Garrett and Sheldon Richardson, Browns will have one of the most dominant DL. If Clowney comes in, all they have to do is fix their OL.

Browns don't respond well when they are picked as a front runner. They could have a all Century Team as a Roster and still fail.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
poly1274":sgq7njvb said:
SoulfishHawk":sgq7njvb said:

gowazzu02":sgq7njvb said:
poly1274":sgq7njvb said:
HawaiiD":sgq7njvb said:

The other guy will quote you then...I'm saying Baker and Browns coaching sucks.

getnasty

Reaction score
I don't see Clowney signing anything other then a 1 year deal at this point which makes it tough for us to sign him without saying goodbye to Britt and KJ or Fluker but at least 2 of the 3. Personally i'm fine letting 2 of those 3 go to sign Clowney to a 1 year prove it deal. Greater need and a better player but i don't think it gets done. Not sure why but i have a feeling we don't add another pass rusher outside of the draft this year, hope i'm wrong.

kf3339

Reaction score
poly1274":2znbhgx6 said:
HawaiiD":2znbhgx6 said:

hawks85":2znbhgx6 said:
Largent80":2znbhgx6 said:

If there ever was a truth in football, it's that no matter the roster additions the Browns will find a way to screw it up. They rarely even sniff a playoff spot let alone a chance at the SB.

kf3339

Reaction score
SNDavidson":54n736b2 said:
I'm actually intrigued by Griffen/Ford/Reed/Mayowa, that's a solid run/pass front four, with Irvin, Shaquem, Bobby, Barton blitzing and in space, with the improved secondary, any rookies that contribute early just make us that much better, think joey hunt is gone, little worried about britt hope we keep him. Draft bpa, maybe LT, get a speedy edge, TE depth, RB depth, DB depth.. etc.... gosh I hope there's a season this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing that DL lineup as well. I could even see another vet added as a rotation piece on the line. Perhaps Bennett, or Suggs. Both may want to get a chance at the SB one more time.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think the 1 season that we had Clowney was enough. He is what he is which is a player with dynamic physical potential but has underperformed and has been injured since he was drafted . Yes he has flashed brilliantly at times and that has a lot of people enamored with the idea of throwing a lot of money his way, but we signed 2 second tier free agents that doubled his sacks , one of the 2 coming off the bench.
I am with the group that hopes he doeant come back. I trust what the front office is going to do.
They improved the cb position, well have a good FS/SS tandem for a full season, Barton will take a step forward,Reed will get back to being Reed
and we still have a chance for free agency and the draft (virtual)

GO HAWKS !

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Baker is what some may call a self saboteur. Obj too. No matter how good they are those guys are too stupid and selfish to win

toffee

Reaction score
morgulon1":3bin4xc8 said:
I think the 1 season that we had Clowney was enough. He is what he is which is a player with dynamic physical potential but has underperformed and has been injured since he was drafted . Yes he has flashed brilliantly at times and that has a lot of people enamored with the idea of throwing a lot of money his way, but we signed 2 second tier free agents that doubled his sacks , one of the 2 coming off the bench.
I am with the group that hopes he doeant come back. I trust what the front office is going to do.
They improved the cb position, well have a good FS/SS tandem for a full season, Barton will take a step forward,Reed will get back to being Reed
and we still have a chance for free agency and the draft (virtual)

GO HAWKS !
Having a player on DL that demands double teaming is invaluable, can’t be emphasis enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk