Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

poly1274

Reaction score
TAB420":3g7ur37u said:
None of those teams have 19m in cap space. In fact, we have as much if not more than all of them.

kf3339":3g7ur37u said:
poly1274":3g7ur37u said:
kf3339":3g7ur37u said:
that have the cap room are not playoff potential teams. Even they never came up to his initial asking price.

His agent needs to sit him down and make it clear his money and contender goals were not going to happen. His feelings are very hurt right now, and I seriously wonder if he couldn't be a disruption coming back to the team at this point. This issue should have been solved by now. Sign or leave. Just make a final decision PC and JS. Enough with this bulls$%t.

Uh that's kinda wrong. He can get the money but it all depends on how high the Chiefs, Baltimore and Jags are high on their players. I'm sure the 3 teams are trying to get as much draft picks possible, and if the prices are too high even on draft day, someone will give clowney 19mill + Contract.

Uh, you need to look at those three teams cap room at this point. None of them have even close the money needed to give Clowney his number. In addition, all three already have the pass rush they need without him.

This has came down to either Clowney signing back with us, or him going to a bad or rebuilding team that can meet his new lowered number. Those are the choices. Many of our points are that he is not going to have a good attitude with a lowered contract and may become a disruption within our team.

Griffen would come to this teams wanting to be here and a lower contract number. That is the best option now.

What are you guys talking about. What I meant was that it all depends on the 3 players that have been getting the tag.
Chris Jones, Matthew Judon and Yannick Ngakoue. If the Chiefs, ravens and Jaguars don't lower their price (Draft picks) then someone will sign Clowney at what he would get 18-20mill. If the 3 teams lower their price, then Clowney would have a hard time getting the most money as possible. But let's say if the Jag's want a 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick, Seattle would take it and pay him less $$ than what Clowney would be asking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":a3035hzg said:
Clowney says he loves Seattle ; but also says he wants to play for a SB contender . Could it be that in truth he doesn't like Seattle that much and doesn't think they are contenders either ? Maybe he just is digging for gold wherever he can get it . This has turned into a yawner for me .

1. He likes Seattle
2. He's not happy with Seattle's offer

Thus why he hasn't signed her yet (or anywhere). When you're expecting teams to fall all over themselves offering you 21M+ per year with 40-50M guaranteed, and all you hear is crickets for that number, you don't run back to Seattle's lowball offer of 13-15M per year for only 2-3 years.

You and your agent circle the wagons, wait it out and start listening to higher one year deals fully guaranteed.

That's where Clowney's at.

xray

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xih4tej said:
xray":1xih4tej said:
Clowney says he loves Seattle ; but also says he wants to play for a SB contender . Could it be that in truth he doesn't like Seattle that much and doesn't think they are contenders either ? Maybe he just is digging for gold wherever he can get it . This has turned into a yawner for me .

1. He likes Seattle
2. He's not happy with Seattle's offer

Thus why he hasn't signed her yet (or anywhere). When you're expecting teams to fall all over themselves offering you 21M+ per year with 40-50M guaranteed, and all you hear is crickets for that number, you don't run back to Seattle's lowball offer of 13-15M per year for only 2-3 years.

You and your agent circle the wagons, wait it out and start listening to higher one year deals fully guaranteed.

That's where Clowney's at.
Like I said ..digging for gold . :D

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
nanomoz":1brlph7c said:
It's been a long time since the Hawks had a defensive lineman that could take over games. Clowney took over a couple last year.

Folks devaluing him based on the 3.5 sacks stat aren't good at watching football.

And I don't think "being tired of it" is a legitimate reason to not want him on the Seahawks anymore. The circumstances of this offseason are absolutely singular. Cut the guy some slack, Je$us.

He took over a few games, in spurts, for sure. Did he really elevate the defense overall?? No...the defense was not good and easily attacked.

The point is he's commanding a lot of money for relatively little impact on THIS particular defense. You need to look deeper than the surface level fan boy appreciation we all suffer from at times. Clowney is a great player; nobody questions that. I'm not sure he is a good fit with a coordinator as seemingly inept as Ken Norton Jr.

He fought through injuries (AGAIN) and was new to the system. I acknowledge that. But in my armchair GM mind, that means he gets a lower offer to "prove it".

Just like he had in Houston, Clowney needs help. He didn't get much last season, at all. They seem to think Jarran Reed will return to his 2018 form, but putting a ton of money towards Clowney prevents other moves. I am not sure adding Bruce Irvin and Benson Mayowa are the types of moves that will prevent Clowney from garnering all kinds of attention from the opposing offense every game. And I sure hope that the master plan isn't hoping LJ Collier suddenly shows up.

It's more of an organizational philosophy thing for me than knocking Clowney. I like Clowney, a lot (see my avatar). On the right defense, he is going to be a force. I just don't think it's THIS defense, not with a coordinator who has little or no creativity or idea how to utilize his pieces effectively (and yet somehow retains his job).

I'd be more in favor of getting two for the price of one (Griffen and Ngakoue).

Largent80

Reaction score
It bears repeating that the defense is actually PETE CARROLS defense and the DC is simply an assistant.

If Clowney was that big of a "priority" don't you think the head coach would have had him sign by now so they could focus on the draft?.....I do.

As I stated before I believe they are higher on some of their own players than we think, and they possibly will be willing to trade #27 and are possibly eyeing some players in the draft. (Zuniga?).

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"I'd be more in favor of getting two for the price of one (Griffen and Ngakoue).'

The price for Yannick alone is higher than the price for Clowney. All things considered the price for Yannick may even be higher than the price for Clowney AND Griffin.

kf3339

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2qskze33 said:
"I'd be more in favor of getting two for the price of one (Griffen and Ngakoue).'

The price for Yannick alone is higher than the price for Clowney. All things considered the price for Yannick may even be higher than the price for Clowney AND Griffin.

Not that the FO give a damn about any of our opinions, but I would go Griffen and Yannick as well. With our DL pieces that could get us to a Super Bowl spot this season!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kf3339":5vhqx4hg said:
Appyhawk":5vhqx4hg said:

Not that the FO give a damn about any of our opinions, but I would go Griffen and Yannick as well. With our DL pieces that could get us to a Super Bowl spot this season!

Yannick's upside might be higher than Clowney at this point in both their careers. But if the 13-15M per year salary rumors are true for what we're offering Clowney, then it's no contest, Clowney + Griffen is a far better value then Griffen and Yannick.

Not only would we have to give up high picks for Ngouke, but we'd have to pay him 20M+ with a huge extension. He also comes with the uncertainty of not knowing how he fits into our D-line. Don't have that issue with Clowney, we know he fits in.

Bottom line, we could probably cut Britt and Fluker and fit both Clowney and Griffen into the cap if we can get them both for 25-30M per year. That's not happening with Ngouke, which is the main reason he hasn't been traded yet.........Jacksonville's asking far too much, AND Ngouke and his agent are telling teams he's expecting a big extension with whoever he signs with.

RealDeal

Reaction score
Appyhawk":a0bt9nb9 said:

:ditto:

warden

Reaction score
The best thing Clowney can do is sign a good one year deal with Seattle and hit the free agency under better circumstances next year

TAB420

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsRadioKJR/status/1247608241850212352[/tweet]

TAB420

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsRadioKJR/status/1247609609784659969[/tweet]

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
iamstevenlopez":2b1snowt said:
He gone.
Oh well. Time to sign guys who wanna be here and wanna play for the best organization in the world.
Go Hawks!!!!

The patriots?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
A big part of the frustration we (board members/fans) have are the conflicting reports of what Seattle has offered Clowney. One press faction says 13.5, others say 18.5. Clowney wanted more than 18.5 but had come down to 18. That number seems to be conducive to both parties making a deal together. But here we sit...
The silver lining to this whole thing is we're sitting here with a lively debate going on the topic. Where would we be without that?
All I know is it ain't over till it's over. I'm not giving up on Clowney until he signs with someone else.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The above report isn't untrue, but that doesn't mean it's also not a negotiating tactic.

I expect Clowney to take a 1- or 2-year deal that is lower and nearly fully guaranteed.

Seattle is the only team that has examined him since the ab injuries. And unless he and his agent are real, real dumb, they'll get him signed somewhere before the draft.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
On to plans F,G and H since the team effed this up and all the good options signed elsewhere. I’m ready for a management change.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":f4kicaeo said:
On to plans F,G and H since the team effed this up and all the good options signed elsewhere. I’m ready for a management change.
Griffen is still out there. Bet the Hawks get either him or they sign Clowney.

Latest posts