Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

hawks85

Reaction score
Largent80":1ls8wlan said:
I'm burned out on this Clowney BS....

I don't even care any more. We had him last year and were one of the worst lines in the league.

Screw him if he wont sign here, go to Cleveland where careers die.
I've been saying this since FA started. Cloweney is good but not great. He's way over-hyped. At this point I dont care if he signs here or not. Honerstly I hope he signs somewhere else. He's acting like he's the king of the edge rusher. When in reality he's slightly above average. People don't wanna hear that but its the truth. He had some good games but so what. He's inconsistent. He has the potential of being a complete nightmare on every play. He already screwed up. He's gonna have to sign with a underachiever like the Browns or Dolphins etc...if he wants to get paid. Seattle offered him his value and Clowney felt disrespected. Well hes not worth 18.5 a year. I would pay him 12-15 and if he didnt sign then time to move on.

cheese22

Reaction score
If they were able to sign Griffen and maybe Golden, I think we'd be better than having Clowney and one of the othe 2nd tier FA left. Clowney is great against the run but 3.5 sacks is bad.

TAB420

Reaction score
I hope Clowney and his agent aren't waiting until the DE market dries up. This would give them back the leverage.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":352v2i2y said:
IndyHawk":352v2i2y said:
poly1274":352v2i2y said:
The most ridiculous thing I ever heard was when RW saying

“Clowney come back,” Wilson answered, via Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times. “If you are listening, bro. We’ve got another Super Bowl to win, man. We need you. We need you to come back Clowney. Clowney, Clowney if you can hear me, please come back, bro. I need you, homie.”

RW got the best offer that was given to him, and didn't give Seattle any discount.

Btw Idk why fans are so upset that Clowney isn't re-signed yet. Clark was tagged last season, and he didn't agree his terms until he was traded to KC.
I saw that ridiculous tweet from RW and really if he wants him
so bad then RESTRUCTURE your deal Russ!
Otherwise let someone who wants to be here and that is
Griffen.
We can sign another rusher to go with him for a year like Suggs ect.

HEY!!, I think you're on something.....Seriously though, Wilson doesn't have to restructure, IF Clowney doesn't feel that he's being respected enough, and Griffen >DESIRES< to come in for a lot less?, I think it's a no brainer.
No RW doesn't have to restructure if we aren't paying Clowney $18.5 million or at all.
I think some think restructure is something bad however so for those guys..It's not.
He is getting paid no matter what,it's just spreading the cap hit more so there is
money to sign RW his superstar(s)He can do something to make it happen.

DJrmb

Reaction score
RW has already restructured in the past to give them enough money to extend Duane Brown and I'm sure he'd have no problem doing it again. The team will play that card if they have to, but there's no reason to do it until it's necessary. There's others they will cut or restructure before tapping into RW's deal and really risking the teams future.

But yes, if they need it they could potentially free up around 13m by converting RW's 2020 salary to a signing bonus. It would bring his cap hit down from 31m in 2020 to 17.5m (assuming Spotrac's numbers are accurate). The problem is that his 2021 cap hit would jump to 36.5m and 2022 would be 43.5m. That would make things very challenging going forward. If they need to they can, but it's no necessary yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TAB420":zk2091z5 said:
I hope Clowney and his agent aren't waiting until the DE market dries up. This would give them back the leverage.

I think it'd be the opposite, the longer they wait the more teams will drop out because they've moved onto other players and have had their draft addressing needs. It's why he's lowering his demands now, crickets.

Clowney's not waiting because he wants the DE pool to dry up, he's waiting for the virus travel restrictions to be lifted so he can go take physicals, which he thinks will increase his value once teams see he's relatively healthy and in good shape.

Neither seems like a good plan to me. By this point in free agency, the teams willing to spend big money have spent their big money. The teams left like the Hawks and others have hardline budgets and values they're going to stick to because they still have roster spots and needs to address in the next 3-4 months.

So I don't see how just being the last DE standing makes Clowney more valuable.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sse6jof said:
TAB420":2sse6jof said:

I think it'd be the opposite, the longer they wait the more teams will drop out because they've moved onto other players and have had their draft addressing needs. It's why he's lowering his demands now, crickets.

Clowney's not waiting because he wants the DE pool to dry up, he's waiting for the virus travel restrictions to be lifted so he can go take physicals, which he thinks will increase his value once teams see he's relatively healthy and in good shape.

Neither seems like a good plan to me. By this point in free agency, the teams willing to spend big money have spent their big money. The teams left like the Hawks and others have hardline budgets and values they're going to stick to because they still have roster spots and needs to address in the next 3-4 months.

And for those blaming the Seahawks, remember that Clowney just had core surgery. The Hawks probably want a physical, too, before they sign him. He's been rehabbing out of state and can't get back yet.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
With the raft approaching he may lose all his leverage with us if we draft DE's with one or two of our first few picks. It would be nice to go into the draft not having to draft a DE high but at this point we don't know what he Clowney will end up doing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":1cqpejt2 said:
Sgt. Largent":1cqpejt2 said:
TAB420":1cqpejt2 said:

And for those blaming the Seahawks, remember that Clowney just had core surgery. The Hawks probably want a physical, too, before they sign him. He's been rehabbing out of state and can't get back yet.

I think Clowney playing here last year IS why our offer is rumored to be so low (13-15M per year), we have the advantage of seeing Clowney all last year, and all the injury issues he's accumulated for the past five years.

I get why he's pissed, he's an elite talent, but he also comes with some BIG red injury flags. Sure, perfectly healthy in a normal off season he gets his 21M a year.

But all his injuries + no travel = teams are nervous to just hand out 20M per year with 50-60M guaranteed on a long term deal, for a player that's only had one 16 game season, and is coming off a major core injury that they can't look at to see how well it's healed.

He's either going to have to take a fully guaranteed one year deal with a team that can pony up 16-18M (which isn't many), and hope he stays healthy to re-enter FA next year.........or take a smaller per year deal with more guaranteed money, like we're offering him.

Option 2 sure seems like the smarter way to go if I was advising Clowney. Swallow your pride bro, and take a 2-3 year deal with 30-40M guaranteed. One year deal? Eh, if you get injured again, you're REALLY screwed next off season.

Largent80

Reaction score
The draft is rapidly approaching. There is a small handful of players that could draw interest. If Clowney isn't signed by a few days before the draft I think he won't be here.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So somehow, this Clowney thing falls on Russ. If he doesn't re-do his deal, he doesn't want to win. Ok then.
And yes, I'll just get called a Russ lover and/or a troll, so have at it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I'm kinda over the whole Clowney thing...way too much fuss for a dude that produced 3 sacks. He's a great player and he obviously is disruptive, but it didn't exactly elevate our defense having him here. He may not be an ideal fit with a dfeensive coordinator who lacks creativity like Ken Norton Jr.

Sign Everson Griffen, trade for Ngakoue, or heck - both. I have no problem moving our 1st rounder for Ngakoue, they will find a way to screw it up anyways. I'd rather have an established player.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I really want them to get the Clowney thing done. But I gotta' be honest, I'm getting a little sick of hearing about it and/or waiting as well. Enough already. If he doesn't take a deal, move on and go get Griffen.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
My prediction is that this thing gets resolved one way or the other this week.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It's been a long time since the Hawks had a defensive lineman that could take over games. Clowney took over a couple last year.

Folks devaluing him based on the 3.5 sacks stat aren't good at watching football.

And I don't think "being tired of it" is a legitimate reason to not want him on the Seahawks anymore. The circumstances of this offseason are absolutely singular. Cut the guy some slack, Je$us.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2oumkzbz said:
+1, and with the draft being 17 days away, the decision needs to be made sooner than later.

I respectfully disagree

Largent80":2oumkzbz said:
The draft is rapidly approaching. There is a small handful of players that could draw interest. If Clowney isn't signed by a few days before the draft I think he won't be here.

Here too.

The draft needs really don't intersect with Clowney's role here at all. Clowney is a strong side end. We're not in the market for that position whether he's signed or not. From that perspective, there is no impact one way or the other as far as the decision making of who we pick.

Additionally, the money for our draft picks is already allocated. So there is no monetary consideration here either.

The only concern really is whether or not other UFA alternatives drop off the board in the interim. There really isn't a whole lot out there to be worried about. Griffen really isn't worth anything at 33 years of age that would affect our taking a speed rusher even in the first round. We don't sign Griffen and just consider the DE position solved. He's a good/even very good hedge for that role. We already have two UFA hedges on the book.

I don't see the impending draft having any real impact on whether a Clowney deal is delivered. With one notable exception: an Ngakoue trade. Because we couldn't possibly assume his new contract and pay Clowney. But that kind of deal is going to assuredly come down to the final hours before the draft. Jacksonville is going to wait until the very eve in order to push the draft pick compensation to it's fullest.

I don't see any reasonable factors that would lead me to think that the draft would incentivize either party (Seahawks/Clowney) to make a decision sooner rather than later. If Seattle doesn't make that trade before the draft -- they are very likely in an even greater position of strength to leverage a post draft Ngakoue trade. Jacksonville is the team that has the most to lose and the greatest incentive to make a deal. So any halfway decent negotiator should drag those conversations out as far as possible.

And the thing of it is, If you're a team that wants to sign Clowney, then you should also be in the market for Ngakoue too. So other teams aren't likely beating down Clowney's agent's door. I see the trade being the domino that has to fall first. And that's being delayed by Jacksonville's asking price.

And honestly, I would expect Clowney's money to raise pretty significantly when there is no other available option (and with so many teams that have healthy cap space). So from his perspective, I don't see why he'd want to rush a deal until after the draft.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The lack of action is frustrating to be sure. This sequestering and social distancing may be exacerbating our impatience, in addition to the way it hampers the players and team officials. I think getting the draft accomplished could change a lot of minds as to the best path for the team to take. It could also effect Clowney's perception of his market and market value.
I'm getting more and more comfortable with waiting until after the draft before committing to any more deals.
It is possible Clowney's value could even rise as a result of draft results, but at this point that's a risk I think the team should be willing to take.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, get it done. Nothing wrong with being tired of waiting. Especially with the extreme boredom of no sports :D
Oh well, they either get it done with him, or bring in Griffen. I prefer Clowney, but I would still be pretty happy with Griffen on this line too.

xray

Reaction score
Clowney says he loves Seattle ; but also says he wants to play for a SB contender . Could it be that in truth he doesn't like Seattle that much and doesn't think they are contenders either ? Maybe he just is digging for gold wherever he can get it . This has turned into a yawner for me .