Richard Sherman's greatness

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I hope some out there aren't taking this guy for granted. Every time we hear defensive MVP talk it's always about Earl (who is also amazing in his own right), but Sherm cannot and should not be forgotten in those discussions.

Leading the league in INT's while being targeted the least is amazing in and of itself. All while being able to help with the run game, which is one trait many pure cover corners don't possess

Espn the Magazine Sport Science has an incredible little piece on him from today that really makes me appreciate what he does: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10172 ... n-magazine

Some highlights :
- 43 inch running vertical jump is a Sport Science record, topping the likes of Fitz & Dez Bryant
- 38 inch no step vertical, which exceeds that of Vince Carter (I assume they mean the Raptors version and not the Mavs version lol)
- 2.7 seconds to reach 20 mph, just off of Codarrelle Patterson's mark of 2.62 seconds

Pretty incredible stuff. It's gonna take a mountain of cash to re-sign him but if there's any corner in football that's worth it, it's gotta be him

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is taking Sherman for granted. Along with Earle, he's the most talented member on the defense......AND one of the team leaders.

I'm a little nervous as to how Pete and John are going to resign all these guys on defense. Polamalu I think is the highest paid safety at like 9 million, so Earle's going to be in that ballpark, whether on a long term deal or being franchised. The difficulty will come with Sherman. If he digs his heels in and demands Revis type money at 16 million a year, then I think it's time to hit the panic button.

Now Revis did give up a lot of guaranteed money for a higher annual salary, so maybe there's some wiggle room with Sherman to take a lower amount for a longer/guaranteed contract.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":16u94keo said:
He sure has been quiet in the media lately.

He's already made a name for himself would be my guess. He's smart. All of that talking got him noticed and when the time comes he'll be reaping the rewards of that tactic

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3d1fi73g said:

He had a pretty damn funny press conference yesterday.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":319ts45j said:
HoustonHawk82":319ts45j said:

He had a pretty damn funny press conference yesterday.

I love watching him in press conferences... He's pretty smooth and handles everything very professional... Great spokesman for our Seahawks!!!

OP
OP
12thManNorth

12thManNorth

Reaction score
I have no doubt that PCJS have full intention of keeping RW, Earl, and Sherm, and will do just that. They're our 3 best players, all still young, and to me, every single other guy on the roster can be replaced if we really had to do it.

The whole key is gonna be somehow convincing them to take less money as a cap-hit, whether that'll be through offering more guaranteed money, longer deals, or whatever they have to do. The $64,000 question is how many other areas of our team will be jeopardized to do so ?

It's of course impossible to say, but this is one of the reasons that after this and next year, over the next 5-10 years we may not see another Seahawks team better than what we have now

A

Anonymous

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/v ... 32fcc0290d

The very last question he takes is in regard to how motivating a chance for a first-round bye and playing at home is for them coming into this game. Same standard "every game is a championship game" response. You know this is probably trickling down from the PC philosophy, but I'd venture to guess that the answer he gave was 90% lip-service and 10% reality.

We all know what a win this week will mean. At some point one of those reporters needs to stand up and say, "you expect us to believe that Richard?". "Sitting at home with your feet up watching a snowy wild-card game with your fuzzy slippers on means nothing to you?"

Ah, huh...

WeakBeak

Reaction score
Ill put money on it they'll take little bit less to play here
There already on championship caliber team. Just my thought.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Of course we resign him. Here are his 2 choices.

Resign with Seattle for a nice deal like 5 yr 60M that boosts his pay starting in 2014.

Try to get even more money somewhere else. If so then in 2014 instead of the raise he could get from Seattle, he'll make $645k. In addition in 2015 he could be franchised for $11-12m. He also runs the risk of injury or decreased production over that time frame, which could lead him to not getting the huge Revis like deal he might want. This would cost him $10-11m over 2014-2015 years regardless.

Of course all of this is assuming that PC/JS WANT to resign him.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Isn't Sherm a FA after 2014? That would be his 4th year.

**Nevermind, I didn't read the post prior to this**

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
I'm going to be crossing my fingers in hopes that he trolls Darrelle Revis or Roddy White in the near future, even though it doesn't get much less relevant than those two guys and their respective teams, lol...

Exittium

Reaction score
12thManNorth":1sv4lskq said:
I hope some out there aren't taking this guy for granted. Every time we hear defensive MVP talk it's always about Earl (who is also amazing in his own right), but Sherm cannot and should not be forgotten in those discussions.

Leading the league in INT's while being targeted the least is amazing in and of itself. All while being able to help with the run game, which is one trait many pure cover corners don't possess

Espn the Magazine Sport Science has an incredible little piece on him from today that really makes me appreciate what he does: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10172 ... n-magazine

Some highlights :
- 43 inch running vertical jump is a Sport Science record, topping the likes of Fitz & Dez Bryant
- 38 inch no step vertical, which exceeds that of Vince Carter (I assume they mean the Raptors version and not the Mavs version lol)
- 2.7 seconds to reach 20 mph, just off of Codarrelle Patterson's mark of 2.62 seconds

Pretty incredible stuff. It's gonna take a mountain of cash to re-sign him but if there's any corner in football that's worth it, it's gotta be him

With stats like that sometimes.. I wish he was a wr for us instead or flexed back and forth..

OP
OP
12thManNorth

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Yea you definitely gotta think that besides MAYBE Patrick Peterson, with a full training camp & preseason there's no better DB in the league suited to be a WR. There must've been some reason they switched him at Stanford though. Regardless though, moot point discussion as it's never gonna happen

PGunning101

Reaction score
The reason he switched (not that he "was switched") was that Harbaugh put him in the doghouse for getting season-ending surgery when he was the team's best WR rather than toughing the injury out and jeopardizing his NFL career for the Stanford season.

When they opened camp the next year, Harbaugh had him (the team's leading receiver the previous year) listed on the depth chart below the walk-ons and basically made it clear that he was done as a WR at Stanford. He asked the D coordinator if he could switch to D to basically get away from Harbaugh...

Then after balling (albeit inconsistently) at corner for Stanford despite no experience at the position, he got badmouthed by Harbaugh during predraft and fell to the 5th round.

Thanks Jim. Merry Christmas from you to us, you giant dbag!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
PGunning101":tr9z7hdd said:
The reason he switched (not that he "was switched") was that Harbaugh put him in the doghouse for getting season-ending surgery when he was the team's best WR rather than toughing the injury out and jeopardizing his NFL career for the Stanford season.

When they opened camp the next year, Harbaugh had him (the team's leading receiver the previous year) listed on the depth chart below the walk-ons and basically made it clear that he was done as a WR at Stanford. He asked the D coordinator if he could switch to D to basically get away from Harbaugh...

Then after balling (albeit inconsistently) at corner for Stanford despite no experience at the position, he got badmouthed by Harbaugh during predraft and fell to the 5th round.

Thanks Jim. Merry Christmas from you to us, you giant dbag!
I hadn't heard the entire story. Thanks for this. Another reason to hate Hardouche, not that I needed any more. No wonder Sherm loves to mess with him (the pat on the butt, the birthday wish, etc.).

Latest posts