REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

Reaction score
Mayfield is a good option to take on. My preferred choice for the QB position in the long run is to draft early, ideally top 8, next year and take one of the highly rated, high ceiling QBs who are available then. However, if you can pick Mayfield up for cheap then why not?

Mayfield in 2020 was a good QB. He struggled last year but he was injured whereas in 2020, he was a very good QB behind that strong offensive line. The Seahawks next year will be closer to the Browns in 2020 than the Browns in 2021, and if he performs well - assuming he's still improving as a QB - then he can lead the Seahawks to the playoffs.

The only people who should be against this are those who want a full rebuild and a tank. Mayfield is too good, with this roster, not to get at least 7 wins. The floor for a Mayfield led team is 7 wins, the ceiling is probably 12. The floor for Lock and Geno is probably 3 or 4, and the ceiling 8 or 9.

toffee

Reaction score
Will Baker help us to go deep in playoff? Probably not.
Will Baker be happy as a stop gap QB? Definitely not.
Will Baker hurt our '23 draft positions? Probably yes.
Will Baker lead to a harmonious locker? Definitely not.

NO, I don't want Baker.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
He is MUCH better than any QB we have on the roster and after this draft I don't feel like we are in tank mode, min deal and no expectations i say do it today!!
What is it that Baker does better than Lock or Geno can? Talking about football skills, not ability to create off the field scenes. Is he a better decision maker? We know his arm is not much, if any, superior. Is he better on the run? What is it that makes Baker better than what we already have?

had2bhawk

Reaction score
What is it that Baker does better than Lock or Geno can? Talking about football skills, not ability to create off the field scenes. Is he a better decision maker? We know his arm is not much, if any, superior. Is he better on the run? What is it that makes Baker better than what we already have?
Pretty good commercials!

balakoth

Reaction score
Will Baker help us to go deep in playoff? Probably not.
Will Baker be happy as a stop gap QB? Definitely not.
Will Baker hurt our '23 draft positions? Probably yes.
Will Baker lead to a harmonious locker? Definitely not.

NO, I don't want Baker.
I don't get a few of these.. but the others I agree with.
Probably hurt our position yes.. but we arent getting top qbs unless we win 2 games at most.
I dont mind a 15 to 19 pick. Lets see how he does, we all know systems change people sometimes. Honestly can't hurt at this point

CPHawk

Reaction score
Seriously what does he not do better than Geno or Lock? Did some of you just tune out when Geno was having a hard time completing a pass over 5 yards downfield? The guy isnt a NFL quality starter. I’m not sure he is even a top 20 backup. Neither guy should start for any NFL team.

We can spend all off season convincing ourselves Lock is a true NFL qb, but come week 1 reality is going to set in real quick.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What, the Seahawks are supposed to "rule out" something? John Schneider once described his job as listening to all kinds of offers and deals from all kinds of people regardless of how feasible they may or may not be (not a quote). The Seahawks not ruling something out is not an indication that they are actually considering anything.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If he is bad we can easily move on. If he is good we can either keep him or get a third round pick in the next draft or possibly we could even trade him. As long as we are not giving up major draft capital I am for it.

m0ng0

Reaction score
If you don't see that he is significantly better than any QB on our current roster I can't help you. Is he the answer? I don't know and I thought I made myself clear on a minimum deal. What's the harm in kicking the tires?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If you don't see that he is significantly better than any QB on our current roster I can't help you. Is he the answer? I don't know and I thought I made myself clear on a minimum deal. What's the harm in kicking the tires?

How could the Seahawks possibly get Mayfield on a vet-minimum deal?

The Browns are on the hook for Mayfield's fully guaranteed $18.9M this year. Any team trading for Mayfield will end up with the same commitment. The only way to get Mayfield on a league-minimum deal would be if he were cut. But why on Earth would the Browns cut him, given that they would still have to pay him the same $18.9M and would still have the same cap hit? There is simply no good reason for the Browns to cut Mayfield. If they cut him, they still have an $18.9M (technically, $18.858M) hole in their cap, but it's dead money. They get zero cap savings by cutting Mayfield. And they are then paying Mayfield $18.9M to play for somebody else while leaving 9.1% of their salary cap unusable.
The Browns have to hope some team will get desperate enough for a QB to trade for Mayfield and take his more-than-he's-worth cap hit off their books. If Garoppolo comes back healthy enough to play, the Browns are screwed, because Garoppolo isn't worse than Mayfield (talk about damning with faint praise!), and his contract is much less unappealing.
Garoppolo will cost at least $1.4M of the 49ers' cap this year no matter what happens, because there's the last portion of Garoppolo's signing bonus (paid in 2018, but with its cap hit spread equally over the five seasons of the contract). And Garoppolo has a $600,000 workout bonus this year. Beyond that, Garoppolo is a "pay-as-you-go" option in 2022, with $24.2M in salary plus $800,000 in per-game roster bonuses. None of that is guaranteed, so he costs just over $1.47M per game, and if he sucks, the team that has him can cut him at any time without having to pay for the rest of the season.

I sincerely hope the Seahawks stay away from both. But why would any team take Mayfield when Garoppolo's contract is so much more team-friendly for 2022?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’m hearing in this thread that he sucks and we won’t be happy and at the same time he will hurt our draft position.

how would he hurt our draft position? Oh that’s right. By Winning.

im all in on a year of Baker. It would be fun.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This is where statistics fail. Watch the games. Geno wasn't good. The offense had no bite. inexplicably Geno had "good stats" but was inconsistent and worse yet not bold enough to press the ball downfield.

Exactly. Geno was the game manager type QB that fans were clamoring for and it equated to 1 win against the worst team in the league. A game manager type QB does not work with Pete Carroll coached teams unless he has optimum talent everywhere else. The QB play has to be practically spectacular to overcome Petes schemes, philosophy, and poor game planning as fans are going to find out this upcoming season.

Scout

Reaction score
Mayfield is also a game manager though so people do have a point about seeing what the team has in Lock or letting Geno take over.

Mayfield has a solid 2:1 TD/INT ratio which is good but he is also very inaccurate.

So the pro of Mayfield is that he has more starting experience and better TD/INT ratio but he is inaccurate. Cost being the big issue though and his off field antics.

The Bucs were thought to be a secret suitor of Mayfield while the Panthers are still explicitly interested in him.