REPORT(s): Seahawks still interested in Mayfield, Browns willing to eat salary

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Under other circumstances, I wouldn't mind if Mayfield was part of the QB competition. But it's getting late in the game for another QB to join the team and have a realistic shot at making the team, let alone become the starter. And I don't want to pay anything for him more than a minimal salary, and I don't want any drama. Not saying he could necessarily cause drama, I'm just saying I don't want any.
Training camp is still 5 weeks away. But Cleveland needs to pay all of his salary or cut him. There’s no in between. He can come into camp with a re-worked deal and compete with Geno, Lock and Eason.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Under other circumstances, I wouldn't mind if Mayfield was part of the QB competition. But it's getting late in the game for another QB to join the team and have a realistic shot at making the team, let alone become the starter. And I don't want to pay anything for him more than a minimal salary, and I don't want any drama. Not saying he could necessarily cause drama, I'm just saying I don't want any.
As mediocre as Mayfield is, he could come in with a week left in camp and win the job. Lock and Smith are backups.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Baker is better than people give him credit for. And dude is tough, actually cares and plays hard. Can't wait til he ends up here, so much popcorn.
He would make the team better, that's what SHOULD matter. Not hoping they will suck for a "better draft pick"
As if a top 5 pick is etched in stone to be a success.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
As mediocre as Mayfield is, he could come in with a week left in camp and win the job.
I'd have no problem with that. But I'm not going to just assume that's what would happen. If he comes here and wins the job, fine. If he comes here and competes, and Lock or Geno win the job, that's fine too.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Baker is better than people give him credit for. And dude is tough, actually cares and plays hard. Can't wait til he ends up here, so much popcorn.
He would make the team better, that's what SHOULD matter. Not hoping they will suck for a "better draft pick"
Now that summer has officially arrived - I've only been skimming shit.

Just curious why you say he's 'tough'. I really don't know that much about him, other than him, geno and lock put together are not RW ;). <edit> I didn't mean that they didn't all add up to RW, just that they 'weren't' RW - which is a good thing </edit>

Interesting comments - please elaborate a little bit ;)

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
Baker isn't bad overall if you take his high water stats from 2020. But in key areas like 3rd down, he's not a ton different than Lock. And, he's a lot immature. So if he comes here cheap without us giving up draft capital, cool. Otherwise, how many qbs who in all probability, won't get us to a superbowl, do we need on the roster at once , and at what cost?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Baker isn't bad overall if you take his high water stats from 2020. But in key areas like 3rd down, he's not a ton different than Lock. And, he's a lot immature. So if he comes here cheap without us giving up draft capital, cool. Otherwise, how many qbs who in all probability, won't get us to a superbowl, do we need on the roster at once , and at what cost?
well you have a point - i've been 'roll with lock this year' from the beginning.

think it's still a development year - no use plugging in YA middling QB - and at an inflated cost too.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think the majority of people leaning "no" on Baker are saying so for the draft pick, to be fair.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. If they don't have to give up much to get him, would love to see it. Why do I think he's tough? Just watch him play. And he played with a toasted shoulder most of the season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yep. If they don't have to give up much to get him, would love to see it. Why do I think he's tough? Just watch him play. And he played with a toasted shoulder most of the season.
Tough is a word I'm hearing a lot lately..
I'm serious..It was on something with Andrew Luck.
Now you put Baker in there which yes he played with
the same injury Luck had (non throwing arm) but Luck
missed the whole next season-Baker will not i guess.
I just want to change the playing with a torn labrum from
tough to stupid because you clearly are not winning
or playing at a good level with it so why try?

Last edited:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Haha...just wanted to drop bye and laugh. What most of this site wanted. Russ gone and deal with what remained. Now Baker isnt coming.