Reasons why i believe Sherman will take a pay cut.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":26usdpti said:
themunn":26usdpti said:
Can you imagine the number 1 corner in the league taking a 5 year $50m deal?

Yeah but it's 5/50 with him getting paid right now instead of getting paid $500k next season. So it's really the exact same thing as him signing a 4/49.5 contract the next year, except he gets his money a year early while also removing all the risk of him getting injured or suspended and screwed out of apayday in 2014 (which actually happened to Brandon Browner).

When Revis gets cut in the next year or two, a $12.5 average would make Sherman potentially the NFL's top paid corner. It's not too much of a stretch.

To add he most definitely would if he got 20-25 mil guaranteed.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Sherman would take 5/50 is 50 was guaranteed I think.

Seafan

Reaction score
I dont expect Seattle to re-sign Sherman. Thomas and Bennett are the next priorities on defense. Wilson will get a near max deal in about a year. That's really it. Hopefully the cap goes up in a couple years.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The buzz is ET3 will be a 8-10 a year guy. Sherman will have to be in the ball park if true. Keep in mind we had Flynn when he was here at 10m a year. I suspect we offer a 4/36m or 5/43m. Both with hefty signing bonuses as well as Performance awards.

The cap goes up in '14 as well to 126m . I see ET3 by summers end and maybe Sherman otherwise at the end of the year

What is mind boggling is that our entire secondary that starts makes almost 1/2 of Mannings salary of a 15m base without his perks.

NFLFanSweden

Reaction score
I believe Sherman can be persuaded to leave Seattle for more money. It's nothing personal. It's business. You guys just won a Super Bowl. Emotions are high. Once all that clears and your FAs start talking to their agents and hear of what else is being offered, I wonder how many will return. That's the thing about winning the SB. Value of a player shoots up!

But I agree with someone else. At least you got an SB out of the talent you had. That's the work for the coach. To get another SB without some of that talent because they go to other teams or retire. Look at the Ravens.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
To anybody thinking Sherman will take a big discount, I say keep dreaming. He's one of the best if not the best CB's in the league and will be paid accordingly. The Hawks will need to pony up a competitive offer if they have any hope of keeping him, and that offer won't be cheap. We are talking about what every player on their first contract works so hard for; that big pay day to secure their future. The only people who are likely to play for less money are vets who have played through at least two contracts and want to hook up with a SB contender; very different mindset for a premiere player at the top of his profession coming off of his first contract.

It's not gonna happen. Richard will allow his agent to do his job, so either the Seahawks pay the man what he's worth, or he's gone.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Wait... Revis, Brandon Carr, Finnegan and Bailey all made over $10M and you think Sherman is going to take under $10?

HAHA. He's at minimum looking for $12. Sherman is gone when he hits FA.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
IMO a lot depends how it is structured. Front load it and they will take it sometimes. Take a look at harvins deal almost half is guaranteed.

Brithawk38

Reaction score
As a UK based fan forgive me, I don't understand how 'image rights' work in the NFL but given the "Legion of Boom" brand which has been cultivated over recent months and boosted with the SB win does our brains trust (PA, JS, PC) have an opportunity to be creative around that brand in terms of assigning proceeds of the brand to its members in return for more cap friendly contracts?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
It's all about the money. For the past two years, the Hawks have had Sherm's Lamborghini services on a Buick budget. He knows that and he's gonna want to get PAID as much as possible as soon as possible.

You can't blame him for that. Can you?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2od7vm9t said:
It is selfish of fans to demand players take a discount. Football players are one hit away from having career ending injuries. We can't ask them to renounce maximizing their value in the free market. Many of these players come from families with no $$$, most of them are the only bread winners and they provide for brothers, sisters, parents, nephews, aunts, ... etc. This is America, folks. Why would anyone give Paul Allen or Roger Godell a discount? We need to love the guys who are here. When they leave and go on to better pasture, we still need to like them, but love those who play for us.
If Dallas wants to pay Sherman $20millions, Sherman should take the money and move to Dallas. No hard feelings. Would be happy for him.
Our team did what lots of teams dream of: Win with a roster full of high performing cheap labor. We didn't even need our biggest money guy until the last game.
Brilliant.

The OP thinks he is begging for Sherm to be a team player, but in truth he is representing a portion of fans who selfishly love the green and blue so much that they would resent a player getting maximum value for his skills in those few years he can get that money. If Sherman stays healthy, he has two big contracts in his future. Expecting him to take less in his very first chance to get PAID when it could be his last, when he could be one hit away from retirement, is just plain selfish.

Also, in addition to selfish, this attitude is really kind of faithless. The front office that brought you these low rent stars has not forgotten how to find players. And the coaches have not forgotten how to train those players.

I can tell it is going to be quite a process for some fans to learn the cost of success.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't get how thinking/hoping a player will take a $50m deal is asking him to bypass money. In the scenario I outlined previously, it's making Sherman far more secure than him trying to hit FA. What if he decides to wait out his contract and destroys his knees so bad he can't play? Then he only has the $2.5m he made playing on his rookie deal. If he were to sign a deal taking effect in 2014, I'm sure it would have plenty of guaranteed money, like say $25m. That's a big insurance policy for him that will take care of him for life even if he never finishes the contract because of injury.