Really strange moment - Griffin

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
It looked awkward but I actually think it was a good play. Had he went after Brissett and missed, the QB would have run to the outside with a WR blocking for him and likely scored.

kidhawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1chn6n22 said:
Do you guys know what happens if Griffin turns inside to take on Brissett? That WR that Brissett was pointing at washes Griffin into the middle due to his outside leverage, Brissett runs around the edge for an easy TD, and Griffin gets a lecture today about maintaining outside containment when that's his responsibility. But at least Griffin wouldn't have a bunch of internet posters speculating that he didn't know where the line of scrimmage was.

Even assuming that he was supposed to stay on his guy, he didn't initially, so one way or the other, he made the play awkward when it didn't need to be.

I don't think anyone is saying it negatively impacts their opinion of his abilities to play corner

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm sure when they review game film it will be painfully obvious that Griffin lost track of the play (ball vs LOS).

One thing I've heard about him is he is bright, a fast learner, and beyond his years in maturity. It's just one silly looking play, and not something to get worried about IMO.

AgentDib

Reaction score
kidhawk":23bzz3vc said:
I don't think anyone is saying it negatively impacts their opinion of his abilities to play corner
What I am objecting to is the suggestion that this was a mistake on his part. His obvious responsibility on that play is to prevent Brissett from getting to the edge. As the play unfolds he is torn between trying to make a play and protecting his responsibility and he makes the correct decision.

Knowing that he's a rookie should be brought up as a positive for this play, not as an excuse. The reason that fans find this weird is that there was a lot of room to the inside, but that isn't Griffin's fault. This play would make a good Wyman clip as it's probably a pre-snap alignment that backfired again.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
AgentDib":9ji9watq said:
Do you guys know what happens if Griffin turns inside to take on Brissett? That WR that Brissett was pointing at washes Griffin into the middle due to his outside leverage, Brissett runs around the edge for an easy TD, and Griffin gets a lecture today about maintaining outside containment when that's his responsibility. But at least Griffin wouldn't have a bunch of internet posters speculating that he didn't know where the line of scrimmage was.

I agree. Dude is an NFL football player. In all my years, I've never seen a player make a decision to neglect an open field tackle to take on a blocker.

Like you said if Griffin misses the tackle, Brissett has the sideline with a blocker in front of him with a easy TD.

Griffin actually took away the sideline and occupied the blocker, sure Brissett got maybe 15 more yards out of it had Griffin remained aggressive and came up for the tackle... But that's only if he makes the tackle.

Extra 15 vs possible TD.

Griffin is going to be All-Pro, someday.

mikeak

Reaction score
AgentDib":3j3lctig said:
kidhawk":3j3lctig said:
What I am objecting to is the suggestion that this was a mistake on his part. His obvious responsibility on that play is to prevent Brissett from getting to the edge. As the play unfolds he is torn between trying to make a play and protecting his responsibility and he makes the correct decision.

Knowing that he's a rookie should be brought up as a positive for this play, not as an excuse. The reason that fans find this weird is that there was a lot of room to the inside, but that isn't Griffin's fault. This play would make a good Wyman clip as it's probably a pre-snap alignment that backfired again.

Have you ever seen a RB in open space and the defender in front of him going the opposite direction?

Once you have a broken play the goal is to stop the person with the football and not determine who's fault it is. Griffin should be moving to stop the runner with the ball.

potatohead

Reaction score
mikeak":1etje7z1 said:
AgentDib":1etje7z1 said:
kidhawk":1etje7z1 said:

Have you ever seen a RB in open space and the defender in front of him going the opposite direction?

Once you have a broken play the goal is to stop the person with the football and not determine who's fault it is. Griffin should be moving to stop the runner with the ball.

It was one of the weirdest plays I can ever remember seeing.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Ya I saw the play to, thought it was kinda weird, having said that I have really liked his play for the most part this year

stang233

Reaction score
Not bizarre at all. Right move. U push him back to the middle if he gets beat outside it's a TD. Perfect play by Grif.

kobebryant

Reaction score
That's the proper way to play the 2 on 1 - let the goalie see and stop the guy with the puck.

Oh, wrong sport.