Re-signing Tate

DeletedAccount

Reaction score
Not sure if anybody has more information on Tate's contract situation, but I am wondering why we haven't heard anything about Schneider trying to re-sign Tate this year. Going into his contract year being relatively unproven, outside of Seattle, seems to me that we could sign him long term at a reasonable price. My perspective is that he will definitely continue to improve and have an excellent season this year. I think our WR core goes Harvin, Tate and Rice. Tate should be much more difficult to sign after this year than now. Does the FO/Coach not have the same confidence in Tate that I have? Is Tate holding off to significantly increase his value this year? Other? Seems like our FO can make a real savy move here, but the (apparently) are not taking the opportunity for some reason...

Cartire

Reaction score
seesurfers":1qctzqcr said:
Not sure if anybody has more information on Tate's contract situation, but I am wondering why we haven't heard anything about Schneider trying to re-sign Tate this year. Going into his contract year being relatively unproven, outside of Seattle, seems to me that we could sign him long term at a reasonable price. My perspective is that he will definitely continue to improve and have an excellent season this year. I think our WR core goes Harvin, Tate and Rice. Tate should be much more difficult to sign after this year than now. Does the FO/Coach not have the same confidence in Tate that I have? Is Tate holding off to significantly increase his value this year? Other? Seems like our FO can make a real savy move here, but the (apparently) are not taking the opportunity for some reason...

With the debacle on the Cap from our WR's, I would assume we would only approach Tate with a low-cost extension at this point. And I fully expect Tate and his agent to reject said deal. Tate knows that his value can easily sky rocket this season. I dont expect a deal until midway season or after (if we even get one done).

Subzero717

Reaction score
I think the FO is going to see how this season plays out and act accordingly. Rice is the third highest paid reciever this season iIRC. I woild expect a restructure of his salary and a decent contract for Tate.

Sac

Reaction score
You know what he meant Hawken-Dazs.

I do think we end up re-signing Tate, I just don't think we'll do it until after the season is over. One year deals will come off the books, Rice will probably re-structure or he'll end up out of town. The cap will go up, probably more than projected like last year and this one.

The new TV deal will then kick in and that will pump up the cap even more.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Keep in mind, Zach Miller costs $4 million less against the cap next season. That's a good chunk of change to put towards Tate.

I hope we can work it out.

Hawken-Dazs

Reaction score
I think if he plays at the same rate as last year, then he will get a nice new cap friendly contract after the season. No point in re-signing after only one productive year. He clearly wants to stay with the team, so my guess is he will do what's necessary to stay.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well this front office has shown when you put up you get re uped. Just becasue you don't see publicity on it doesn't mean things are not being looked at. Remember this team works out of the media's eye on these issues and then announces them when they are all but a done deal.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
If I worked our front office I would wait it out. Adding Harvin and his fat ass salary means there are fewer passes and money to go around.

Whomever makes plays and outshines the other ( Rice and Tate) I keep. The other I offer a smaller contract to hoping they take the home town discount, but expecting them to leave.

It would be great to be 4 deep at WR, but unrealistic.

Johnny

Reaction score
I think it would be premature to discuss a new deal with Tate at this point... Did Tate have a good year? Yes. But, He needs to keep showing improvement & development as a WR and his fit in the offense before a new deal is even on the table.... Like stated earlier in this thread if Tate shows to be the same player he was last year by mid-season of this year, I believe a new deal will be done by the end of the year. and, I hope he does continue to develop I really enjoyed watching him last year he was our most exciting player on offense, IMO. How many top 100 plays of last year did he have?, I think it was 4-5...

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I don't know how the Browns can re-sign Tate seeing as they've never had him signed to a contract.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Too much left for Tate to prove. Have to see how it plays out in 2013 and who emerges out of our four star WRs. I think people might undervaluing Sidney a little bit. He's the only prototypical #1 WR on the team in terms of both size and skill. The thing that remains a concern is his durability. Without him, however, we're fielding three 5'10 WRs with our 5'10 QB. Ideally, I'd love to restructure Rice and keep Tate. It'll be difficult to justify paying all three, but I think Tate could likely be had on a reasonable deal ($4-5 mil/year).

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Why does a Browns fan keep posting on here acting like the Hawks are his team...?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sailor, I'm proud of your edit. I have no clue what it looked like before, but you're doing the Lord's work.

In regards to the actual topic, I'm concerned about this as well. If he has a good year, his price will go up.
noflyzone":345mh424 said:
Wasn't Kam's fat contract all behind the scenes?
If I recall correctly, nobody knew a thing until they announced a contract was imminent and they released details later that day.

misfit

Reaction score
I think this is the final year we see Sidney Rice as a Seahawk.

Throwdown

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":346bhcb7 said:
Why does a Browns fan keep posting on here acting like the Hawks are his team...?

He needs to make a post explaining himself before we even think about allowing him back on the bandwagon.

nsport

Reaction score
You gotta re-sign Tate now. He was the MVP of Sherman's celebrity softball game today. :)

Latest posts