Rapoport: Seahawks Claimed Josh Gordon!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Rat":148qykg2 said:
hawksfansinceday1":148qykg2 said:
nanomoz":148qykg2 said:
Gordon has certainly earned most of the negativity offered here by his detractors.

At the very least, I think this might indicate that the Hawks know that they need to score a lot of points and stretch the field consistently if they're going to make it very far this season.
Agree. I think it's a tacit acknowledgement that the O needs to push 30 ppg to get to and hopefully win a game in the playoffs.

I think it's just an indicator that a very talented player was available for dirt cheap. If we were desperate to add firepower to the passing game, I don't think the trade deadline would have passed without making a move, especially when guys like AJ Green, Robby Anderson, and others were on the market. And I dont think it was because Gordon was plan A because Pete said he was surprised to get him.
Don't think Green was ever available but yeah Anderson was. Fair point. I actually wanted Hooper. Regardless, this does give the Hawks a nice third option in the passing game. Very necessary with the injury to Dissley it would seem. Best of all, it cost them zero player and/or draft capital.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
RastaHawk12!":10bsa1yq said:
I dunno. I want it to work but it feels a lot like Percy to me.
Same and the weed being legal doesn't help my thoughts.
Maybe RW is just what he needs..Both as a Qb and friend.
Gordo doesn't have any room for more chances..27 teams have
spoken.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There are lots of reasons why this may not work. You should be excited anyway.

Realize that we aren't winning the Superbowl this season unless things go our way. Josh Gordon has enormous upside and him playing well would add another possible explanation to the "How did the Seahawks win the Superbowl?" question.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Call me a homer but I’m really excited about this.

Some people think a strict, hardcore environment like the Patriots is good for those with substance abuse. It isn’t. The Patriots are great for those with behavioral issues. The Seahawks are perfect for this kind of situation which is why Dion Jordan had a strong run here when healthy.

We have a very supportive culture and a QB who will put his arms around people. And who is very strong in his faith. You’d be surprised how much that connection matters for some player relationships.

Combine that with Russ’ deep ball, playmaking ability, etc. and I can see this being a major success. Super optimistic about this

kobebryant

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3c0wawg2 said:
RastaHawk12!":3c0wawg2 said:
Same and the weed being legal doesn't help my thoughts.

He was previously playing in Massachusetts. What does the legality of marijuana have to do with it?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
RastaHawk12!":2yptqx1r said:

Percy was a fire cracker. Gordon is a good guy who’s just struggled with other stuff.

Also, weed may be legal in Washington but there are players like Calvin Johnson who smoked often. How it’s perceived is really the league making it more than what it is

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Gordon's speed is not what it was in 2013. It's harder to see him as a game-breake - eh, what's that? Oh. I guess he's already suspended.

(kidding)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I like the addition of Flash. IIRC, the Pats used him in the slot at times last season and he did well. I can see him being interchangeable with Lockett in the slot role. Hopefully he works out for the Seahawks.

getnasty

Reaction score
RastaHawk12!":2k8qhf4w said:

A lot cheaper then Harvin and a much better teammate.

chris98251

Reaction score
First he has to pass the physical.

Then he has to make it through a week of practice and learn some plays.

Then he has to sell Pete and crew that he wants to do things our way and Buy In.

All in a week and 3 days.

I'm sure our 49er friends are waiting to see how this plays out, Lockett, Metcalf and Gordon on the field and Carson running. I hope Dickson is able to play to form as well, he was making plays and Wilson was going to him as well last year.

Crizilla

Reaction score
RastaHawk12!":1wxgzc1f said:

This

Russ is really gonna have to work his magic to get Gordon to stay focused.

getnasty

Reaction score
Something is gonna to come out on Gordon pretty soon, still don't know why the Patriots would release him.

lukerguy

Reaction score
If he lights it up, and someone else signs him to a 1 year deal, the Hawks could conceivably get a compensatory pick for him....Another small silver lining.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1hp9ct2t said:
Wonder how much this was to keep him away from the WR starved 49ers. Hold him on the roster a couple weeks then release him.

Clearly Ursua and Jennings are not the rookies we were all hooping them to be. They are starting to enter the David Moore zone. Both Lockett, Baldwin and even Richardson were making bigger contributions by now in their rookie season.

Oh well we got Metcalf right at least. 1 of 3 WR picks working out is probably our average.

Yes, but what about Golden Tate, Jermaine Kearse, and the aforementioned Paul Richardson?
WRs so often seem to take a year or two to figure out how to play at the NFL level. Tate would be the poster child.
Kearse was a practice squad success story who worked his ass off to earn a roster spot on the big team.

I'm not pressing the panic button yet on Ursua or Jennings. I suspect there isn't much room on the field on Ground Pete for more than one small-bodied, light-blocking receiver, and I think Mr. Tyler Lockett has that niche pretty well sewn up. Still, I'd like to hear about Ursua and Jennings progress and prospects thus far. Somebody should start a thread. Maybe even me.

Now if we can just get G. Fant back to his natural spot of Outside Tackle*, life will be good for the Hawks O.

* Outside Tackle, a Ground Chuck position name defined by the inimitable Mike Tice on 80's Seahawks teams, a position which other teams jokingly refer to as "Tight End" rather than "Outside Tackle".

P.S. Speaking of Mike Tice... whatever happened to the Fill-Your-Belly-Deli?