Random Thoughts™ on Huskies vs. Boise St.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":3ahwmt2a said:
I love the irony. If UW actually becomes a great team for the long term because of these changes, it will all be thanks to Oregon. I've always liked the Ducks, so I don't mind that my team is blatantly ripping them off. I'm guessing a lot of Ducks fans are ticked by the idea though, that UW is benefiting so much from concepts their team pioneered.

It makes me feel like a proud poppa. (Until they beat the Ducks)

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kearly":3gq3t27h said:
Those are all similar styles (esp. Arizona), but I think UW copies Oregon much more than those teams did. Those other teams had read option, sure. But UW had read option with hurry up / no-huddle, having tons of speed at the skill positions, fast defense, etc. And unlike a lot of other read option type teams, Oregon is somewhat unique in that they use read option to set up the run more whereas teams like Arkansas State and Auburn used it to set up the pass more. UW ran the ball 54(!) times against BSU against just 31 pass attempts. Chip Kelly would be proud.

I love the irony. If UW actually becomes a great team for the long term because of these changes, it will all be thanks to Oregon. I've always liked the Ducks, so I don't mind that my team is blatantly ripping them off. I'm guessing a lot of Ducks fans are ticked by the idea though, that UW is benefiting so much from concepts their team pioneered.

They did not rip off Oregon!

Why are you calling Sark a liar!

Dawgs0

Reaction score
kearly":1ayhjus2 said:
Those are all similar styles (esp. Arizona), but I think UW copies Oregon much more than those teams did. Those other teams had read option, sure. But UW had read option with hurry up / no-huddle, having tons of speed at the skill positions, fast defense, etc. And unlike a lot of other read option type teams, Oregon is somewhat unique in that they use read option to set up the run more whereas teams like Arkansas State and Auburn used it to set up the pass more. UW ran the ball 54(!) times against BSU against just 31 pass attempts. Chip Kelly would be proud.

Is Oregon the first team to run hurry up? The first to run read option? It'd be like saying Stanford is copying Alabama when they run pro style. Or any NFL team that runs the pro style is copying another pro style team. To me, it just doesn't make sense to think that way. The only team or person that got copied is the person that invented the offense.

Obviously Sark copied the offense. But Sark copied the offense, from the people who invented the hurry up. That wasn't Oregon, like some believe. Oregon copied the offense as well. Some people believe that Oregon has pretty much invented a form of football and it couldn't be further from the truth. Oregon fans are that arrogant. It's just so ignorant and laughable. Haha.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sark ripped of Sam Wyche, then he ripped off Dan Coryell, he also ripped off Al Davis and Bill Walsh, and on top of that he ripped off Pete Carroll. He's a bloody Theif have him arrested.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Dawgs0":3fi35sy8 said:
Is Oregon the first team to run hurry up? The first to run read option? It'd be like saying Stanford is copying Alabama when they run pro style. Or any NFL team that runs the pro style is copying another pro style team. To me, it just doesn't make sense to think that way. The only team or person that got copied is the person that invented the offense.

Obviously Sark copied the offense. But Sark copied the offense, from the people who invented the hurry up. That wasn't Oregon, like some believe. Oregon copied the offense as well. Some people believe that Oregon has pretty much invented a form of football and it couldn't be further from the truth. Oregon fans are that arrogant. It's just so ignorant and laughable. Haha.

What you said in the first paragraph is true, and I never said otherwise. However, I think it's pretty obvious that Chip Kelly pioneered the most recent and most efficient version of the read option. UW didn't have a basic read option offense out there. Their version had Chip Kelly's fingerprints all over it. Similar play selection (super run heavy), intense hurry up style (only a few read option teams do that), he even had the same flip cards.

Btw, I think that's great coaching by Sark. I was actually calling for UW to move to an Oregon style offense a couple weeks before he started introducing those elements last season. Bishop Sankey was struggling and had a profile that screamed Oregon Ducks RB. Ever since the switch, Sankey has been lights out. Brilliant coaching by Sark. It also shows that he knows how to swallow his pride for his own good and try new things to achieve results, which is an uncommon quality among coaches.

chris98251

Reaction score
Read option is the damn Wing T in design, a lot more motion and the alignment may look a bit different but concept is the same. Just now days they pass a bunch more then back then when it was a primary run offense.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
kearly":3pvc4r50 said:
Dawgs0":3pvc4r50 said:

What you said in the first paragraph is true, and I never said otherwise. However, I think it's pretty obvious that Chip Kelly pioneered the most recent and most efficient version of the read option. UW didn't have a basic read option offense out there. Their version had Chip Kelly's fingerprints all over it. Similar play selection (super run heavy), intense hurry up style (only a few read option teams do that), he even had the same flip cards.

Btw, I think that's great coaching by Sark. I was actually calling for UW to move to an Oregon style offense a couple weeks before he started introducing those elements last season. Bishop Sankey was struggling and had a profile that screamed Oregon Ducks RB. Ever since the switch, Sankey has been lights out. Brilliant coaching by Sark. It also shows that he knows how to swallow his pride for his own good and try new things to achieve results, which is an uncommon quality among coaches.

Here's a quote from an unbiased source. BTW, it's a great article. I don't see the words Oregon in there. :

"Washington coach Steve Sarkisian learned the offense from mentors with links to the “Air Coryell” school, named after passing-game innovations developed by former Washington cornerback and San Diego Chargers coach Don Coryell.

Sarkisian’s junior-college coach, John Featherstone, was on staff with Coryell at San Diego State after playing for him in the late 1960s. Featherstone installed the single-back, play-action approach at El Camino College in Torrance, Calif., for Sarkisian to run as quarterback in the early 1990s.

When Sarkisian left El Camino for BYU, LaVell Edwards ran a similar spread system. It’s an approach Sarkisian knew and was hardened into by the time he arrived at Washington in 2009.

He adapted some that year because of the skills — namely, freakish speed and size — of quarterback Jake Locker. Sarkisian didn’t have a tight end the next season, which made him turn to other adjustments."

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/08/2 ... needs.html

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Keep in mind, that article was only discussing the passing portion of UW's offense. Oregon wasn't mentioned, but you won't find the words "zone read" or "read option" anywhere in that article either, and that's exactly what UW did on 70-80% of their snaps vs. Boise State.

If we are just talking strictly about the pass offense then there is little reason to draw comparisons to Oregon. You are actually correct that the passing portion of UW's offense hasn't changed much over the last 4 years, but the running scheme, play selection (more short passing), pacing, (lack of) variety, and number of drop-backs has changed dramatically.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
UW did run read option last night on a lot of plays, but they also ran some power runs and sweeps. There was some similar plays to last year and new read option plays, as well. The offense was very diverse last night.

BTW, how would you compare it to the Seahawks running read option on their plays? Or the overall offensive comparison to the Seahawks? Some have said the offenses are comparable, with a pro style PASSING offense and a some read option running, along with a power run game. With maybe Pete giving Sark advice, since Pete is his mentor.

Russell Wilson actually gave Keith Price some advice as well. Keith says they are good friends. :

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfoot ... ll-wilson/

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
That's cool about RW and KP.

I think the similarities between UW and the Seahawks end at the use of the read option. Seattle only used the read option on about 20% of their snaps last season, whereas in the BSU game I think every snap was taken out of the shotgun and most of them were read option plays. Also, despite the fact that I really wish they would, the Seahawks refuse to run no huddle (exempting the obvious end of half situations where they absolutely have to). They did it for a couple games back in 2011 and it worked very well, but it ended up being canned for some reason.

I've heard it was OL coach Tom Cable that vetoed it, but never heard his reasoning. Ever since that time, Seattle has taken the opposite tactic by milking the clock down to the final seconds before snapping the ball. So the Seahawks are pretty much the antithesis of hurry up: they want to kill as much clock as possible per play.

I would be very surprised if Sark didn't reach out to Pete for advice from time to time. It wouldn't even surprise me if Pete sought to pick from Sark's knowledge either. Both coaches have shown the ability to adapt and learn from others. In fact, I think it was almost at exactly the same time that both UW and the Seahawks began working read option into their game plans. It happened for both teams within a month or so early on during the 2012 season, and I think Sark did it first. I think for UW, he used it for the first time vs. Stanford, and for Carroll, it was the Chicago game. So without looking, maybe 6-7 weeks apart? Could, and probably is, just a coincidence, but at the very least it proves that PC and Sark are of like minds.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Sark said he got advice from Kevin Sumlin a couple years ago when he was still at Houston.

The offense just doesn't seem like Oregon's to me, are the schemes not totally different?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
MLOhawks":2qf5qgnk said:
Sark said he got advice from Kevin Sumlin a couple years ago when he was still at Houston.

The offense just doesn't seem like Oregon's to me, are the schemes not totally different?

I've watched every Oregon game for the last whatever years and it looked like I was watching Oregon to me, especially in the running game. Maybe a few more bubble screens then Oregon usually runs though.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
In terms of the X's and O's I think Arizona's version is the closest to what UW was running, but IIRC Arizona is not a 60 minute hurry up team, at least not to the degree Oregon and Washington are.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
MLOhawks":fle1ldnp said:

I agree with this.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Dawgs0":f1cvfmll said:
MLOhawks":f1cvfmll said:

I agree with this.

Seriously are you a sexual anorexic? I never had time in school to spend on a team site, to many girls and homework. You're here all day, every day.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
kearly":2o7rk51i said:
In terms of the X's and O's I think Arizona's version is the closest to what UW was running, but IIRC Arizona is not a 60 minute hurry up team, at least not to the degree Oregon and Washington are.

Arizona was going really fast when they beat UW last year. UW had no answer for the speed of their offense. IMO, they go as fast as any team in the PAC. Rich Rod loves to play fast, like Chip Kelly.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
I can't speak to Dawgs0, but I know for me personally mobile devices have made it easier to keep up to date on the blogs/forums most of the time.

Though I must confess I usually have a sports site of some form or another open even at work.

Dawgs0

Reaction score
CPHawk":1l8ahpdz said:
Dawgs0":1l8ahpdz said:
MLOhawks":1l8ahpdz said:

I agree with this.

Seriously are you a sexual anorexic? I never had time in school to spend on a team site, to many girls and homework. You're here all day, every day.

School hasn't really started yet. I'm just doing some easy as hell Summer classes right now, where we don't even get HW. Like I said, I probably won't be on here after the end of Sept., when school starts. I'm posting at school right now. But, I don't see why you care? Is there a rule against posting on forums, when you want?

Like MLO said, you don't have to be at home to post on forums. If you didn't know, technology has become really advanced in the past couple years.

Aren't you on here right now as well? You may not have HW, but don't you have a job? (PS. No offense, but people who brag about getting girls, don't usually get them. ;) )

chris98251

Reaction score
Unless your a man whore and your not bragging and just rating them.