Rams got screwed...

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2k5zioiw said:
pehawk":2k5zioiw said:
Wow, they'll be getting a SERIES of apologies form the NFL office.

Tavon Austin ran back a punt for a TD, which was called back for an illegal block call. Greatest thing? The guy actually never made contact, he whiffed the block. They called illegal block on a player that whiffed the block.
You're shocked that officiating sucks? Hint for you, accept it and go on to the next game.

So, I shouldn't discuss/post football stuff? I shouldn't post a tidbit concerning and about a NFCW team?

Can you please provide an acceptable list of topics for this forum then, mam/sir? I mean, sure it's not quite as compelling as the usual bickering over some 49ers assault charge you allow, but, I'm really trying.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":2l0f72tt said:
Sarlacc83":2l0f72tt said:
pehawk":2l0f72tt said:
How much pay we're they offered, Sarc? I was speaking the first round of negotiations where basically Rog said "hey, come be FT refs and make $55k a year guys!!"

NFL claims 149,000 with a raise to 189,000 a year in 2017.

Referees dispute that number and say it was much less, only a 2.3% increase over their current number. So I guess it would be unfair to absolutely state the NFL number, but that was what had stuck in my head.

I heard $80k.

Might be the 2.2% number then. A lot of disinformation. Even Wikipedia just shrugs its collective shoulder.

pmedic920

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1pgql54s said:
pmedic920":1pgql54s said:
I've said it before and will say it again.

NFL officials should be FULL TIME NFL employees.
They should Train In the off season.
The NFL has the money to pay officials on a year round basis.

This would not fix ALL of the problems but it would fix the majority of them. IMO
Too bad the union for the officials has fought this vehemently. What happens when the NFL tries to get leverage over them? Everyone bitches about the replacement refs and wants the "real ones" back.

:roll:

And we beat GreenBay :{)

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":1rv43sc6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1rv43sc6 said:
pehawk":1rv43sc6 said:
Wow, they'll be getting a SERIES of apologies form the NFL office.

Tavon Austin ran back a punt for a TD, which was called back for an illegal block call. Greatest thing? The guy actually never made contact, he whiffed the block. They called illegal block on a player that whiffed the block.
You're shocked that officiating sucks? Hint for you, accept it and go on to the next game.

So, I shouldn't discuss/post football stuff? I shouldn't post a tidbit concerning and about a NFCW team?

Can you please provide an acceptable list of topics for this forum then, mam/sir? I mean, sure it's not quite as compelling as the usual bickering over some 49ers assault charge you allow, but, I'm really trying.
Discuss away I'm just curious as to why you'd be shocked about the state of refereeing. It's always been terrible and always will be terrible unless they change things wholesale. And even if they did the only real way to be sure is to somehow have everything reviewable because of PoE and that the athletes are just bigger and faster and able to do things that were frankly unimaginable in years past and I don't really see that changing anytime soon.

For my own sanity I accept that there will be 2-3 horrid calls a game and just roll with it.

jdblack

Reaction score
I can't find an article on this anywhere. Was it really that obvious?

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
jdblack":3l4rqnlx said:
I can't find an article on this anywhere. Was it really that obvious?

Beyond obvious. They called it on a dude who actually missed his block. The only reason you haven't heard about it is because its the Rams. I feel for them, the Hawks used to be so irrelevant losing a game due to a ref error went unnoticed. I posted this because I knew it wouldn't be reported anywhere.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Answer: Question every flag that results in more than a 5YP or simple loss of down.

Sure, we'll have 5-6 hour games but they will be FAIR!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
pehawk":1eg3yp3y said:
pmedic920":1eg3yp3y said:

This would not fix ALL of the problems but it would fix the majority of them. IMO

Of course it would. But, that'd mean each ref would have to get a full time salary and benefits and the NFL cant afford that.

The referees union won't allow that. These part time guys make about $140,000 a year plus benefits. They've got a fat cat deal and there's nothing the NFL can do about it.

It was all the NFL could do to negotiate a couple of full time referees, and hopefully they can roll that in to all of them being full time. But as long as the Referees Union is involved, the current, part-time referees will be the norm.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3h6g7ekm said:
pehawk":3h6g7ekm said:
pmedic920":3h6g7ekm said:

Of course it would. But, that'd mean each ref would have to get a full time salary and benefits and the NFL cant afford that.

The referees union won't allow that. These part time guys make about $140,000 a year plus benefits. They've got a fat cat deal and there's nothing the NFL can do about it.

It was all the NFL could do to negotiate a couple of full time referees, and hopefully they can roll that in to all of them being full time. But as long as the Referees Union is involved, the current, part-time referees will be the norm.

Are you saying I'm letting my known biased and distaste for the NFL's corporate morality get in the way of facts here?

A

Anonymous

They discussed work being done to add transponders to each end of the footballs (on Inside the NFL, I think), and they are working-out the bugs associated with the balance/weight right now. With electronics in the balls, and along the sidelines and goal-lines, bad spots and phantom touchdowns will no longer be an issue as the computer makes the call.

They've been using transponders in all-forms of auto racing for many years now to position cars and/or determine winners. Back 15 years ago, the ones they gave us to attach to our car was a plastic box the size of a pack of smokes. With today's technology, they are so small they can be injected into ones' body via a hypodermic needle. Anybody chip their dog? Size of a Tylenol. How something that small effects a deep ball throw is a real curiosity of mine.

Think about how many horrible calls have gone down because a line judge missed the spot on a 4th and inches?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
We have had a game changing call go against us in several games....

But at the end of the day, that's not why we lost this game.

We had a TD called back due to an Offensive Lineman grabbing the facemask of a Dlineman (and it was a good call); we were on the 5 yard line with a minute left and threw an INT. We turned the ball over three times, and once again allowed the defense to score a TD.

Those are the reasons we lost. But it does get immeasurably frustrating to be at the short end of the officiating stick week after week after week. So from that perspective, I am very thankful for this thread. Every fan feels that their team gets screwed the worst, but I really think the Rams do....I really do. And I'm not a homer. I have no issue saying that we lose the games.

Against Dallas earlier this year was the worst...but even in that game, Jared Cook dropped a WIDE OPEN TD that probably would have altered the outcome of the game. The list is just so humorous at this point...

Week 3 against Dallas - too much to list here, but the worst was a phantom holding call on Eugene Sims that gave Dallas a first down on a 2nd down where we had gotten a sack, late in the game. Game changer.

Week 5 home against SF - Jared Cook gets called for an OPI on what should be known as the worst call of the season. He did nothing that could be misconstrued as OPI. Nullified a big gain that would have led to points, and in turn put us in 3rd and long. We punted to SF and they proceeded to throw an 80 yard TD before half. Give us points and take those points away, we win that game.

2nd game at SF - ruled Gore's forward progress was stopped when it wasn't, we returned fumble for a TD. Won this one though.

Theres a lot more but I'm too tired to continue typing about it. At worst we should be 6-5 right now though. But again, can't blame it on the refs when our guys are just failing to execute in critical junctures.

mikeak

Reaction score
So on the kickoff return what was the result of the drive? Reading on ESPN it said they had two strange calls but on one drive they still scored a TD.

Just saying it is really hard to say you lose the game because of it if they ended up getting a TD on the drive

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
It's all about accountability folks. And considering Bill Leavey still has a job, the NFL exercises none of it. They never have and sadly it's likely they never will.

Someone who might know, tell us who the official was that called the TD for Testeverde against the Hawks in what, '98? Then look up and see how long he continued to ref in the NFL. I'd wager it was at least another 10 years.

Latest posts