R-E-L-A-X. (Packers vs Lions)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Once again the referees decide the game on a dubious call.

Once GB started their comeback I observed the Lions were going to choke away a W. They did.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3i1s8zmp said:

Once GB started their comeback I observed the Lions were going to choke away a W. They did.

Which is it?

Lions choked or refs decided the game.. it can't be both.

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3u1ay954 said:
jammerhawk":3u1ay954 said:

Which is it?

Why not both? The refs did decide the game by throwing a defensive penalty flag that never should have been thrown. Without that flag, Detroit doesn't get the opportunity to do it's final choke job.

That said, once the refs did do nasty things to the pooch, they did 'brown' the bed on the last play and choked.

Cartire

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2opjldir said:
jammerhawk":2opjldir said:

Which is it?

Actually, in this very specific case, it is both.

The game was over and the refs decided otherwise.

THEN

Lions choked the final (read: bogus) play.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Because the refs did not "decide" the game...

If you don't agree with the call, that's fine. they did provide one team one chance to throw a 61 yard score while the other team had to defend it.

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3sn5tmjt said:

If you don't agree with the call, that's fine. they did provide one team one chance to throw a 61 yard score while the other team had to defend it.

The refs absolutely did decide the game. Without the blown call, Detroit wins the game. Period. End of story.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Polaris":1nv7kl4a said:
Uncle Si":1nv7kl4a said:

The refs absolutely did decide the game. Without the blown call, Detroit wins the game. Period. End of story.

It wasn't a blown call...

not a good call, in slow motion, which the refs didnt have.

If the Packers dont catch the hail mary did the refs still decide the game by allowing one more play? No...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d1s0xz4 said:
Polaris":1d1s0xz4 said:
Uncle Si":1d1s0xz4 said:

If the Packers dont catch the hail mary did the refs still decide the game by allowing one more play? No...

That's why its both.

Neither could have happened without the help of the other.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
drdiags":1qiwep69 said:
The play where they called the facemask was during a mad scramble to keep the ball alive and the field being extended. I am sure the refs were scrambling to stay in position all over the filed since there no longer was a LOS to track lineman or to look for holding in the backfield.

When I saw the play it looked like a no brainer facemask. There was no reason for the refs to confer since there probably wasn't more than just the one guy in the area during the confusion. Maybe someone has a shot of the All-22 to show the refs positioning on that call.

It would have been fun to rib my Packers co-worker but other than that the Lions bungled this game away. Instant Replay should be abolished and just live with the mistakes, knowing there is no way to correct them. I think the technology has neutered the refs. They always will be scape-goats and villains in sports.

This game probably stops the Packers free-fall, they were not looking good for quite awhile. Not sure they win the NFC but they have hope. Lions are kicking themselves today.

Their thrashing of the Vikings didnt stop any free for all.

They may get it turned around, but I think the Packers are what the Packers are at this point. It doesnt seem all that flukey

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3e5pz1ln said:
Polaris":3e5pz1ln said:
Uncle Si":3e5pz1ln said:

The refs could have huddled and looked at it before announcing the initial penalty....heck even after announcing it but before enforcing it. They did just that with the Det vs Dallas game last year. That isn't considered an official review....and it would not have slowed down the game since time had already expired. No reason not to do it given the limited view the official had.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I've not argued once that it could not have been handled better...

That decision did not "decide" the game, is my point. If you want to be pissed at the refs, knock yourself out. I'm frustrated that Detroit couldn't hold onto a 20 point lead nor defend one 61 yard pass with any effectiveness.

Polaris

Reaction score
Uncle Si":29cfgqr5 said:
I've not argued once that it could not have been handled better...

That decision did not "decide" the game, is my point. If you want to be pissed at the refs, knock yourself out. I'm frustrated that Detroit couldn't hold onto a 20 point lead nor defend one 61 yard pass with any effectiveness.

I think both can be true and valid.

Threedee

Reaction score
Between the Reffing the Passer and Shouldermask calls, we have been getting inadvertently screwed lately on game outcome swings...

Cartire

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1loy084w said:
Polaris":1loy084w said:
Uncle Si":1loy084w said:

Was it the right call whether or not it looked like it in real time? No.

Thats it, plain and simple. Doesnt matter if it looked like it, it was wrong. And by throwing a flag when they shouldnt have, they decided that the Lions hadnt won yet, even though they technically did.

Youre right that it looked like it in real time, but that doesnt matter. It has no merit on right or wrong. I dont even blame them for throwing it, because it did look like it. But it was still wrong. Thats the point. They made a wrong call and it cost the Lions the game. The Lions had literally won the game the second Aaron was tackled. But because of a wrong call, it was taken away.

Lions blowing the hail mary is moot when this is considered. Yea, they stunk it up and shouldnt have, but thats not an excuse for the false flag that was wrong.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It does matter how it looked since its a judgment call based on what they are seeing and not one they can review. Refs make bad calls all the time. I just didn't see this one as egregious.

Now, based on it, I wouldn't mind seeing roughing calls reviewable, as the slow mo clearly showed it was barely a touch of the face mask.

and screw the Lions for blowing that game.

Cartire

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1kgptgsn said:
It does matter how it looked since its a judgment call based on what they are seeing and not one they can review. Refs make bad calls all the time. I just didn't see this one as egregious.

Now, based on it, I wouldn't mind seeing roughing calls reviewable, as the slow mo clearly showed it was barely a touch of the face mask.

Its not a suppose to be a judgement call though. Did he, or did he not, grab the facemask. If the Ref doesnt see it (which he couldnt have because it didnt happen) then he shouldnt throw the flag. Assuming something happened is dumb. I would rather a ref miss a call then call one incorrectly.

Yes, there is human element. Yes, mistakes will be made. But that doesnt make them correct. That just makes them mistakes that werent corrected. You want to decrease the amount of penalties in a game, not increase them. Refs shouldnt throw a flag unless they are sure something happened. Let them play.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2drhj7nm said:
Torc":2drhj7nm said:
Burnplant":2drhj7nm said:
Mike McCarthy: "at least our guy actually caught the ball in this one"

Nice. Getting a gift and still managing to be a pissy whiner about a past call.

Finally. He admits his guy didn't catch the ball the last time.

This post needs to be appreciated more. Bravo.

LOL! Nice catch, I didn't notice it at first. :p "As opposed to the last one where "his guy" didn't catch it."

ivotuk

Reaction score
Cartire":2q1hovdx said:
Uncle Si":2q1hovdx said:

Its not a suppose to be a judgement call though. Did he, or did he not, grab the facemask. If the Ref doesnt see it (which he couldnt have because it didnt happen) then he shouldnt throw the flag. Assuming something happened is dumb. I would rather a ref miss a call then call one incorrectly.

Yes, there is human element. Yes, mistakes will be made. But that doesnt make them correct. That just makes them mistakes that werent corrected. You want to decrease the amount of penalties in a game, not increase them. Refs shouldnt throw a flag unless they are sure something happened. Let them play.

I can't agree with the bolded portion. If someone grabs Russell's facemask and twists his head around, but the referee is behind Wilson and doesn't actually "see" the fingers in the face mask, I want him to call it.

I don't want a referee to say "Well, I didn't actually see the "grab." It could have been something else that twisted his face mask and helmet around."

It may not have been a personal foul, but imho, it was at the very least a 5 yard penalty. So then the question would be; "Could Rodgers have thrown it that distance?"

But that's the only question I see there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Chew on this.

“No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction,” Rule 12, Section 2, Article 14 states.

The rule comes with an important caveat: “If a player grasps an opponent’s facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.”

Lions defender Devin Taylor grazed the facemask of Aaron Rodgers, at best. If there was any grasping (and there wasn’t), Taylor immediately released the facemask.

Cartire

Reaction score
ivotuk":2dzfxe4w said:
Cartire":2dzfxe4w said:
Uncle Si":2dzfxe4w said:

I can't agree with the bolded portion. If someone grabs Russell's facemask and twists his head around, but the referee is behind Wilson and doesn't actually "see" the fingers in the face mask, I want him to call it.

I don't want a referee to say "Well, I didn't actually see the "grab." It could have been something else that twisted his face mask and helmet around."

It may not have been a personal foul, but imho, it was at the very least a 5 yard penalty. So then the question would be; "Could Rodgers have thrown it that distance?"

But that's the only question I see there.

Why would you grant him 5 yards? Just because?