Question on Pete Defense

blaisio

Reaction score
So I have been reading a lot on here about concerns on the defense, which is always a concern considering Pete is a defensive coach.

So my question is basically on Pete's position roles from years past. Has he changed how he incorporates those roles?

I recall hearing a lot on Pete's use of defense positions differently than other coaches. So for example, using Red Bryant as a DE to fill up space and defend the run. Bringing in pass rush DE on passing downs. Using Clemons or Bruce as the Leo on the left side. Huge DT like Mebane and Branch to clog the middle and get push but maintain their space.

Having Earl as FS to be the eraser, have a lb basically as a SS to cover TE and defend the run.

And corners to stay to a specific side.

Obviously we were talking about pro bowlers and hof players, but I haven't really seen the philosophy be as prominent.

It feels like our defense is more of the same as others in the league, just not as good. Feels more like we are looking more into versatility at positions rather than keeping a player at one spot. One thing Pete did really well early on was looking for attributes that fit his system while using other players to make up for their weakness. Allowing us to pick up the Kams, Sherman, moving Red to be successful at DE, Bruce as Leo, getting guys that could maximize their strengths.

Im no defense expert, but have we gone away from this philosophy?

chris98251

Reaction score
blaisio":3knzaj9s said:
So I have been reading a lot on here about concerns on the defense, which is always a concern considering Pete is a defensive coach.

So my question is basically on Pete's position roles from years past. Has he changed how he incorporates those roles?

I recall hearing a lot on Pete's use of defense positions differently than other coaches. So for example, using Red Bryant as a DE to fill up space and defend the run. Bringing in pass rush DE on passing downs. Using Clemons or Bruce as the Leo on the left side. Huge DT like Mebane and Branch to clog the middle and get push but maintain their space.

Having Earl as FS to be the eraser, have a lb basically as a SS to cover TE and defend the run.

And corners to stay to a specific side.

Obviously we were talking about pro bowlers and hof players, but I haven't really seen the philosophy be as prominent.

It feels like our defense is more of the same as others in the league, just not as good. Feels more like we are looking more into versatility at positions rather than keeping a player at one spot. One thing Pete did really well early on was looking for attributes that fit his system while using other players to make up for their weakness. Allowing us to pick up the Kams, Sherman, moving Red to be successful at DE, Bruce as Leo, getting guys that could maximize their strengths.

Im no defense expert, but have we gone away from this philosophy?

I would say no, I will say that the rest of the league has adapted and picked up the players that didn't fit the old schemes and types and grabbed the players that Pete was grabbing making the pool much much thinner, also Pete does not have insider knowledge about players now, he recruited many of the players he and John signed initially and had the reports of his scouts to reference as well. A type of insider trading knowledge really that was better then the other staffs had.

xray

Reaction score
The rest of the league is adapting and changing and Carroll refuses to keep pace . Gum smacking and hand clapping is what he does best now days .

scutterhawk

Reaction score
xray":451ruftp said:
The rest of the league is adapting and changing and Carroll refuses to keep pace . Gum smacking and hand clapping is what he does best now days .
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...And no, ^ Trying to explain how this is so damned untrue would be futile ^.
By reading this malarkey, one would believe that the Seahawks were @ 2 -5 & not 5 -2
While on a rebuild last season, and what came as a shock to the League know-it-alls , Pete still managed (without the help from the LOB, or a Marshawn Lynch) to field a Seahawks team that made it to the playoffs...….Go Figure eh?

olyfan63

Reaction score
We're missing what ET in his prime did for our D, and the lockdown that Sherman brought on that left side. This season, no real slot corner; Diggs may help that. Quill Griffin is doing a nice job on the left this year, but then that leaves the right side. No Kam, well, just ask Vernon Davis about that one. I could go on and on about Avril, Bennett, etc. but I think our current DL is basically OK personnel-wise, if not health-wise and time together-wise.

I think it's been hard for Pete to find the types of players he truly wants for his scheme. Earl was a real key and he was a high First Round draft choice. ETs don't grow on trees.

So I'm thinking it's a mix of Pete not having the personnel he wants & needs, and other teams adjusting a bit to what Pete's Ds tend to do.

xray

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2ieulltl said:
xray":2ieulltl said:
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ...And no, ^ Trying to explain how this is so damned untrue would be futile ^.
By reading this malarkey, one would believe that the Seahawks were @ 2 -5 & not 5 -2
While on a rebuild last season, and what came as a shock to the League know-it-alls , Pete still managed (without the help from the LOB, or a Marshawn Lynch) to field a Seahawks team that made it to the playoffs...….Go Figure eh?[/quote

That rebuild excuse is MALARKEY . Every team is rebuilding constantly . Carroll has lost a step or 2 as a HC. IMO

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Reed has only played in one game this season, so as of YET, he, Clowney & Ansah are NOT on the same page.
Sean Payton, & John Harbaugh had game planned for their Quartebacks to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, or tuck it away and take off with it..... Hey, it worked fantastic for Wilson.
You can collapse the pocket, but if you don't contain Jackson, and force him to throw the ball, he's going to run all over Defenses... not just ours, but everyones.

Latest posts