Pulling kids from school for parade on Wednesday

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
my kids asked me if they could skip school to go to the parade on Sunday night. No way are they missing this. Half of my team at work is in STL. They will provide great backup for the entire Puget Sound team being on vacation.

chimpanjesus

Reaction score
what is more annoying about the school thing is i guarantee you many teachers will allow the kids to watch it on TV in class.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sc85sis":e4zkpvwo said:
I understand that they want to emphasize the importance of education, but I think they're going overboard on this. How about the education of fostering a sense of community? Or history? Is this as important as say, attending the Gettysburg Address? No. But it still is history, and to deny a kid the chance to experience it firsthand seems really short-sighted to me.

It's all politics and red tape.

I guarantee you 99.999% of teachers and school administrators would love to let the kids take the day off, but that would mean using a snow day or whatever because their contracts require so many school days per year. So this isn't about doing what's right, or what the majority of people want...........this is about something unplanned screwing up their contract schedule with the district and teacher's union.

andyh64000

Reaction score
The Issaquah School District is calling it an excused absence :)

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l0mx428h said:
mikeak":l0mx428h said:
Sgt. Largent":l0mx428h said:
I'm pulling my daughter out, even though the Puyallup school district has told all the students that it'll be counted as an unexcused absence. OMG NOT THAT! IT'LL RUIN HER CHANCES AT GETTING INTO HARVARD!

This is a once in a lifetime experience for us to share with our kids, I'm not going to worry about my daughter missing one day of school.

How can being sick count as an unexcused absence

Just pull them out on Thursday as well to prove that they were sick :)

Look I can't fly into Seattle for this but I would most definately pull my kid out. As others said it is a one time thing. I would promise their teacher not to do it next year :)

They're telling us unless the kid has a Dr.'s note, it'll be an unexcused absence. Stupid. The teacher's can rack up hours and hours of "personal time" hours that they use LIBERALLY throughout the year, but our kids can't take ONE day off of school for a parade?

Man I wish I had a really sick kid now. Would be great to bring there have them throw up in the classroom and then have the newspaper make a little story about how you were forced to send them to school :)

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I flew in from NJ just for the parade can't miss that no frickin way!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":11ifcglm said:
Sgt. Largent":11ifcglm said:
mikeak":11ifcglm said:
Sgt. Largent":11ifcglm said:
I'm pulling my daughter out, even though the Puyallup school district has told all the students that it'll be counted as an unexcused absence. OMG NOT THAT! IT'LL RUIN HER CHANCES AT GETTING INTO HARVARD!

This is a once in a lifetime experience for us to share with our kids, I'm not going to worry about my daughter missing one day of school.

How can being sick count as an unexcused absence

Just pull them out on Thursday as well to prove that they were sick :)

Look I can't fly into Seattle for this but I would most definately pull my kid out. As others said it is a one time thing. I would promise their teacher not to do it next year :)

They're telling us unless the kid has a Dr.'s note, it'll be an unexcused absence. Stupid. The teacher's can rack up hours and hours of "personal time" hours that they use LIBERALLY throughout the year, but our kids can't take ONE day off of school for a parade?

Man I wish I had a really sick kid now. Would be great to bring there have them throw up in the classroom and then have the newspaper make a little story about how you were forced to send them to school :)

Oh I'm definitely gonna freak out on the school office if they flip me any crap when I call in tomorrow to tell them my daughter's not feeling well. They gonna pay mu co-pay? They gonna make me bring in some puke in a bag?

Get a grip school districts, it's one freaking day.

andyh64000

Reaction score
I don't know why some school districts allow students to attend and others do not. This is the relevant text that the ISD sent out this morning:

" If parents choose to take their student(s) out of school Wednesday, they must inform the school of their intention and it will be treated as an approved activity per our district attendance policy and therefore an excused absence. "

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I wasn't alive for the Sonics parade. But the way I've always heard people who attended that, it is downright inexcusable to not pull your kids out of school for the day. They will remember this for the rest of their lives. Come on now. Plus it is cold and flu season. ;)

GO HAWKS!

SeatownJay

Reaction score
chimpanjesus":zffb9jxp said:
what is more annoying about the school thing is i guarantee you many teachers will allow the kids to watch it on TV in class.
That's how I watched the Sonics parade in '79.

Latest posts