Pulling kids from school for parade on Wednesday

tom sawyer

Reaction score
So... I feel bad.. I'm NOT!

But hey, my company "needs me there" all day. My wife HAS to be at her store, there's a stigma that goes with the kids NOT ABLE TO ATTEND the parade... this sucks

So, it is what it is.

I'm just interested in your take on this. Adults deal with this stuff way easier. My kid is actually fine... I explained that first you have to get there at 8am (or earlier) to get a "spot" where you will "see" anything (he's experienced this at Disneyland, he knows) so if you show up at 10 or later you will get a great view of heads or toddlers on shoulders.

Seeing it later will be just likely a better view. So the idea of just "being there" in the middle of a work week... well. It's not for the employed I guess.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I'm going with the kids, but yeah, it can't work for everyone.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
My brother is pulling my 12 year old nephew out and we are going. He says the last one was 35 years ago and you are not missing this one.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Takin my boy out of school, not going to work and leaving early and staying all day. Heading up from oly. No rules apply cuz this has never happened before . I'm lucky though I can't get I n too much trouble

Laloosh

Reaction score
Taking my 7 and 10 yr old kids w/out hesitation. Think they'll look back on their lives and think, "man, I really wish I'd attended class in the 1st / 4th grade instead of going to that ridiculous Seahawks super bowl parade"?

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
We are. My wife and I are taking a vacation day and pulling the two kids from school (middle & elementary) and we will head down and make a day of it. I'd like to say this will come again next year, but never know??? This could be it for a very long time.

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
Need to have the hard convo with the Boss and if not just tell the Boss its all about the action :)

CPHawk

Reaction score
Taking my 9yo and 3yo to the parade!

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
thanks for all the input, my son does want to go now, I'm taking him!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
tom sawyer":3qkbaagd said:

Good! Once in a lifetime opportunity. We might win again but you never forget your first

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1aw0dn8i said:
tom sawyer":1aw0dn8i said:

Good! Once in a lifetime opportunity. We might win again but you never forget your first

yep, I wish my dad had done that back in June '79 and taken me to the Sonics parade.

Lanakila

Reaction score
My wife and I are taking our 2 girls, 11 and 14, and our friends two girls. As soon as the game was over I told them we are going. I've been explaining to my older daughter the historic aspect of this to our city and that this is something that she will always remember. I think she kind of gets it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm pulling my daughter out, even though the Puyallup school district has told all the students that it'll be counted as an unexcused absence. OMG NOT THAT! IT'LL RUIN HER CHANCES AT GETTING INTO HARVARD!

This is a once in a lifetime experience for us to share with our kids, I'm not going to worry about my daughter missing one day of school.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Even though he won't remember a damn thing, I am taking my 10 month old son to the parade with me. I want to be able to tell him that he was there, and have pictures to prove it!

jdblack

Reaction score
Missing a single day of school is sooooooo meaningless, it's not even a debate.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My daughter doesn't want to go. She's got a bit of a cold and she hates loud noises. :(

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7qlk50ps said:
I'm pulling my daughter out, even though the Puyallup school district has told all the students that it'll be counted as an unexcused absence. OMG NOT THAT! IT'LL RUIN HER CHANCES AT GETTING INTO HARVARD!

This is a once in a lifetime experience for us to share with our kids, I'm not going to worry about my daughter missing one day of school.

How can being sick count as an unexcused absence

Just pull them out on Thursday as well to prove that they were sick :)

Look I can't fly into Seattle for this but I would most definately pull my kid out. As others said it is a one time thing. I would promise their teacher not to do it next year :)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":17l2cc98 said:
Sgt. Largent":17l2cc98 said:

How can being sick count as an unexcused absence

Just pull them out on Thursday as well to prove that they were sick :)

Look I can't fly into Seattle for this but I would most definately pull my kid out. As others said it is a one time thing. I would promise their teacher not to do it next year :)

They're telling us unless the kid has a Dr.'s note, it'll be an unexcused absence. Stupid. The teacher's can rack up hours and hours of "personal time" hours that they use LIBERALLY throughout the year, but our kids can't take ONE day off of school for a parade?

sc85sis

Reaction score
I understand that they want to emphasize the importance of education, but I think they're going overboard on this. How about the education of fostering a sense of community? Or history? Is this as important as say, attending the Gettysburg Address? No. But it still is history, and to deny a kid the chance to experience it firsthand seems really short-sighted to me.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't care. It's sometimes a once in a lifetime thing. Any way I would want my kids to take part in Seahawks history. I think it should be a local holiday, honestly.