Preseason game 1 standouts.

Chapow

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":32idiufc said:
I thought the starting O-line did a really good job up front. You can say it's only preseason but if you remember last preseason you could already tell how bad we were going to be.

This.

I was so, so happy to see the starting OL actually look adequate, arguably even good, in pass protection for both Russ and Austin Davis.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Only the 1st preseason game, it was the Colts, etc. Even so, it was that glimmer of hope I was looking for that maybe, just maybe, we will have a non-horribad OL this season.

Also, man Carson looked good in his limited opportunities.

Chapow

Reaction score
I also thought Rasheem Green had a really nice debut for the Seahawks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Carson has to be the biggest standout. He was good last year behind a bad offensive line, but there were some questions about him coming off the season ending injury.

(1st and 10): Carson turns a minimal gain into 4.5 yards.
(4th and 1): Carson picks up a first down straight up the middle.
(2nd and 2): Carson picks up a first down with an 11 yard gain.
(2nd and 6): Carson picks up a first down with an 8 yard gain.

That's an absurdly good showing for 4 carries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":2itdklme said:
I also thought Rasheem Green had a really nice debut for the Seahawks.

THIS was the best part of last night for me.

With Clark nursing his hand, and Jordan in his usual holding pattern of perpetual unavailability.........we desperately need Green to dominate like he did last night and help carry the DE load.

Awesome to see him have a great game, hopefully he keeps it up.

gabel

Reaction score
Seafan":3e24s4sg said:

I guess I'll be the only one on the board not to be impressed. I thought he made some plays BUT for the most part he was easly blocked. I believe NFL teams will be able to run on him. I could not help wondering if Strong Safety would be his best position.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you are not impressed by Shaquem last night, then you are crazy. Watch the film.

For a guy that is supposedly predicated on speed, he did not seem out of position - hardly ever.

The one big pass he gave up came on what looked like a push off by the TE

He did not overrun plays. He was in good position to make tackles. And he was a rookie in Game 1.

Not sure how that is not impressive.

He was not supposed to be rushing the passer. He was supposed to keep himself in position to make plays or chase the ball down. He did those 2 things.

Also, I should mention Green stood out. I might have been wrong about him. Sample size of 1 and all but we need him to perform because right now our DL is about as terrifying as a friendly spaniel. So having him produce was great.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Thought the rookie class looked pretty good overall.

Penny made the most of some shaky run blocking
Green was a standout getting pressure against first stringers
Dissly looked like the next coming of Zack Miller
Griffin was all over the place and only got caught out of position a couple times
Dickson can really kick a ball. That 60 yarder was a thing of beauty. High and tight.
Flowers kept everything in front of him and was in good position. Reminded me of Browner.
Martin may be a steal. He really did well for an under the radar pick. Good pressure. Hope he's not just a Jameson Konz preseason wonder
Jones got hurt so I'll give him a DNF

Overall a solid group with Green, Griffin and Dickson really flashing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I was thrilled for Rasheem. I expect he'll have the usual rookie ups and downs, but it was great seeing him have such a good game his first time out.

Has Shaqueem ever played Mike LB before? I was really surprised to see him backing up Bobby instead of KJ. He made a lot of tackles; I heard his name all night. Good first outing for him as well.

Tre Flowers is a bit of a work in progress, especially with the shift from safety to corner. Overall, I thought he handled himself well. I suspect Maxi will get the starting nod, but Flowers will see time for sure. He shows a lot of potential.

Running backs: Carson is ready to go. Love seeing that, especially after the injury last year. Penny has a learning curve, especially in blocking. He shows the desire though, which is important. He'll get there. Tre Madden is still learning FB, but he's definitely improved since last year. On the radio broadcast, Mack Strong pointed out one run play during which Tre just stonewalled a guy and knocked him on his backside. Needs to make sure he catches the ball before running, though. Hopefully that was just first game nerves. We have a good stable of backs, and that makes me very happy.

First string o-line looked much improved in pass pro and somewhat improved in the run game. Hoping the injuries don't hurt us there. It was so refreshing watching Russ have a clean pocket.

I wish we could keep all the kickers/punters. Not that I'm greedy or anything...

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3o413pp4 said:
If you are not impressed by Shaquem last night, then you are crazy. Watch the film.

For a guy that is supposedly predicated on speed, he did not seem out of position - hardly ever.

He did not overrun plays. He was in good position to make tackles. And he was a rookie in Game 1.

He was not supposed to be rushing the passer. He was supposed to keep himself in position to make plays or chase the ball down. He did those 2 things.

Also, I should mention Green stood out. I might have been wrong about him. Sample size of 1 and all but we need him to perform because right now our DL is about as terrifying as a friendly spaniel. So having him produce was great.

On the point I emphasized above, for the record, it was an absolutely massive push off. I didn't see it watching the play live, but when they showed the replay I couldn't help but just laugh my ass off it was so egregious.

FinNasty

Reaction score
sc85sis":11b6exg1 said:
I was thrilled for Rasheem. I expect he'll have the usual rookie ups and downs, but it was great seeing him have such a good game his first time out.

Has Shaqueem ever played Mike LB before? I was really surprised to see him backing up Bobby instead of KJ. He made a lot of tackles; I heard his name all night. Good first outing for him as well.

Tre Flowers is a bit of a work in progress, especially with the shift from safety to corner. Overall, I thought he handled himself well. I suspect Maxi will get the starting nod, but Flowers will see time for sure. He shows a lot of potential.

Running backs: Carson is ready to go. Love seeing that, especially after the injury last year. Penny has a learning curve, especially in blocking. He shows the desire though, which is important. He'll get there. Tre Madden is still learning FB, but he's definitely improved since last year. On the radio broadcast, Mack Strong pointed out one run play during which Tre just stonewalled a guy and knocked him on his backside. Needs to make sure he catches the ball before running, though. Hopefully that was just first game nerves. We have a good stable of backs, and that makes me very happy.

First string o-line looked much improved in pass pro and somewhat improved in the run game. Hoping the injuries don't hurt us there. It was so refreshing watching Russ have a clean pocket.

I wish we could keep all the kickers/punters. Not that I'm greedy or anything...

He has never played the Mike...

jmahon316

Reaction score
FinNasty":300deeig said:
sc85sis":300deeig said:

He has never played the Mike...

But does he play the flute?!? *eye twitch*

Fade

Reaction score
Tre Flowers

He made a lot of mistakes, but it was all stuff that is easily correctable.

He should get a ton of playing time the whole pre-season and will learn a lot. I don't expect to see him much on defense during the regular season, but by next year he is going to be lethal. A physical corner that receivers are going to hate playing against.

Austin Calitro

Quem Griffin was great, but his running mate Austin Clitro really impressed me. He took proper angles, read & diagnosed, and was physical at the point of attack. The team has an overall fantastic Linebacker core.

Brian Schottenheimer & Mike Solari

Were the stars of the show though for me. The 1st unit offense looked so cohesive and on the same page. It is amazing what proper coaching can do for a team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":j6z6mshd said:
Tre Flowers

He made a lot of mistakes, but it was all stuff that is easily correctable.

He should get a ton of playing time the whole pre-season and will learn a lot. I don't expect to see him much on defense during the regular season, but by next year he is going to be lethal. A physical corner that receivers are going to hate playing against.

Austin Calitro

Quem Griffin was great, but his running mate Austin Clitro really impressed me. He took proper angles, read & diagnosed, and was physical at the point of attack. The team has an overall fantastic Linebacker core.

Brian Schottenheimer & Mike Solari

Were the stars of the show though for me. The 1st unit offense looked so cohesive and on the same page. It is amazing what proper coaching can do for a team.
Good post! :2thumbs:

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
One name I have not heard mentioned is Ford, watched him get double teamed, drop off and make the tackle. Look forward to next week.

Bottom line, we had a really good 1st half, not use to that :)

Really excited to see the 1st and 2nd s get more playing time.

Seafan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":32ki2mxm said:

Plus,

Many people seem to forget he's never been a linebacker. They had him playing Mike and Will. He did an outstanding job.
He's quick, relentless and smart. What's not to like?

hawker84

Reaction score
Everyone mentioned above. But I want to touch more on RW. It was so nice to see him with an actual pocket and time to survey the field. That man will absolutely butcher a defense if he can get that type of protection on a regular basis. Crisp and decisive, accuracy, the whole nine. That TD to Vanett was a bullet. Good to see...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawker84":1415j2yn said:
Everyone mentioned above. But I want to touch more on RW. It was so nice to see him with an actual pocket and time to survey the field.

He's had that time much more often than anyone gives him credit for. Problem is, he runs before pressure arrives. It looks like Schotty's insistence on him taking one more second before running, has been getting through.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23esjmty said:
hawker84":23esjmty said:
Everyone mentioned above. But I want to touch more on RW. It was so nice to see him with an actual pocket and time to survey the field.

He's had that time much more often than anyone gives him credit for. Problem is, he runs before pressure arrives. It looks like Schotty's insistence on him taking one more second before running, has been getting through.
No disrespect but I disagree.

Russ has had very few clean pockets to throw from over the past few years.
That first drive last night protection wise, was seen very little last year.

Is it that the TE’s, OL, are doing a better job blocking? The blocking scheme is better? the offensive play calling was better?Russ better? All of it? Some of it? Don’t know? Don’t care! .....as long as it was like the first drive.

And sure..... it was the Colts not the Rams, but the #1 Offense was smooth and in control something that we havent seen much of lately.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":31whvo0f said:
hawker84":31whvo0f said:

This is what I keep saying. A net result is that Russ was getting rid of the ball much quicker. The line was blocking good, but one thing that must be mentioned is that they didn't have to hold onto the ball as long, and that Wilson was actually doing a good job manipulating the blockers. Russ holds the ball longer than any other QB in the NFL, consistently. I really liked the new Russ I saw last night.