Predictions: Will Sweezy make the Pro Bowl this year?

Will Sweezy make the Pro Bowl this year?

• Yes

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 61.5%

• Total voters

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sweezy is playing like a bull in a china shop, in a good way. He is destroying guys in the running game and has allowed just two pressures on 52 passing attempts, despite playing beside a rook.

Meanwhile, the 49ers' Mike Iupati, a Pro Bowler last year, has struggled after returning from a broken foot. That could conceivably open up a spot for Sweezy, if he continues to dominate as he has.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hopefully not. Obviously I want him to do awesome but hopefully he slips under the radar of any serious accolades.

Why? See Alex Boone.

With some big contracts coming Seahawks, a pro bowl would give Sweezy some serious leverage for a contract extension. I rather they worry about an extension after Year 4 (when we got a lot of paid players coming off the books) than it becoming an issue and distraction after Year 3

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I'm going to say if he continues to dominate and looks good all year, then no he doesn't make it to the Pro Bowl. But if he is just on the fringe he WILL make it. It always seems backwards to which linemen should go and the ones that do go. Ala unger from last year.

kearly

Reaction score
I think so yes. He's finally getting some hype this year in the media, and both Wilson and Lynch are in line for massive seasons. Great offense plus media mentions = pro bowl.

Oh, he might also be kind of good too, so there's that.

Largent80

Reaction score
He is beasting because he is "getting it" and understanding the offense with the players we are fielding. Part of a growing process. I am liking seeing him play. That downfield block he laid on a db was nasty and dude barely got up.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2lsmaxma said:
Sweezy is playing like a bull in a china shop, in a good way. He is destroying guys in the running game and has allowed just two pressures on 52 passing attempts, despite playing beside a rook.

Meanwhile, the 49ers' Mike Iupati, a Pro Bowler last year, has struggled after returning from a broken foot. That could conceivably open up a spot for Sweezy, if he continues to dominate as he has.

This. Iupati is playing his way off the pro bowl roster. Sweezy is really coming on and you can see it when you rewatch the games and focus on him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He will make the probowl, but like a lot of other Hawks, he won't be playing in it, 'cause they'll all be busy preparing to give the Patriots the "Denver treatment" in Super Bowl 49! :lol:

kidhawk

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":2e7j5pk5 said:
I'm going to say if he continues to dominate and looks good all year, then no he doesn't make it to the Pro Bowl. But if he is just on the fringe he WILL make it. It always seems backwards to which linemen should go and the ones that do go. Ala unger from last year.

It's usually Offensive Lineman who have been good in previous years who have a subpar year or more who get in the years that they didn't play up to par, it's not usually the lineman who hasn't ever played at the Pro Bowl Level who gets in on a bad year.

Sports Hernia":2e7j5pk5 said:
He will make the probowl, but like a lot of other Hawks, he won't be playing in it, 'cause they'll all be busy preparing to give he Patriots the "Denver treatment" in Super Bowl 49! :lol:

QFT :th2thumbs:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3nn6n2by said:
He will make the probowl, but like a lot of other Hawks, he won't be playing in it, 'cause they'll all be busy preparing to give he Patriots the "Denver treatment" in Super Bowl 49! :lol:
Yep.
I am also wanting to see Britt try'n out-nasty Sweezy.
Now I know that's a tall order, and although I know that he won't be able to, I still want to see him try. :mrgreen:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think he has the potential to play at that level but a lot of people won't vote for him because he is so nasty.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Incredibly unlikely. He doesn't have the name recognition. The O-line is one place where it's damn hard to unseat an incumbent Pro Bowler, regardless of the actual performances of the season.

Sweezy would have to have an otherworldly type of year for that to happen.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd say no until I see him pass blocking at a high level all year.

People make generalizations about the OL. It's why, like some have said, a guy playing at an average level gets in because he was good in previous years (see Unger, Max). Our pass blocking is known to be generally bad. Everyone knows our run blocking is good, and we got credit for it being better than it was last year.

I'm also with PH. I'd like to see Sweezy fly under the radar and have the Hawks extend him after this year to a 4 year contract that's fair to both parties but has good value for the cap.

kearly

Reaction score
volsunghawk":142jag5s said:
Incredibly unlikely. He doesn't have the name recognition.

Local media and local game broadcasts have been talking Sweezy up constantly this year. Max Unger's pro-bowl campaign had a much quieter start.

Then again, Max Unger was a fringe first round center prospect before the 2009 draft, and a lot of voters probably remembered that. Draft position bias definitely has a big role in pro-bowl voting.

volsunghawk":142jag5s said:
Sweezy would have to have an otherworldly type of year for that to happen.

The pro-bowl isn't really a meritocracy, but more of a measurement of fame and reputation.

We saw that last year with Denver and guard Louis Vasquez, who mysteriously transformed overnight from bum to pro-bowler after benefiting from the fastest snap-to-release QB in NFL history and the record breaking numbers he put up.

If Lynch busts it for 1600 yards while Wilson is leading the NFL in passer rating, it's going to lead to people making assumptions about our OL. "It must be the offensive line!" Then they will look for someone to pick, and they'll likely go for the players who've been talked up the most that season.

Mebane has been getting some talk too, even some nationally. Hopefully he gets that pro-bowl he deserves this year too.

(As an aside, it's ridiculous that teams like the Chiefs have more pro-bowlers the last two seasons than Seattle does. Seattle is due for a 10 pro-bowler season.)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I know most are skeptical of PFF grades here, but here's some non-homer support for Sweezy's perceived improvement:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Pete/status/504827076437090304[/tweet]

Btw: this is the pic attached to tweet (holy crap):

Bd92KrCIYAAl9eH

minormillikin

Reaction score
He has a cool name, so sooner or later he will make the Pro Bowl. Unfortunately, it can only be him or Max Unger. The "guy who made it because his name sounds cool and he's also pretty decent" award is only given to one player a year.

Latest posts