Possible suitors for Bennett?

Brahn

Reaction score
Beer Hawk":iuhrlerx said:
Brahn":iuhrlerx said:
Beer Hawk":iuhrlerx said:
Brithawk":iuhrlerx said:
Was mention of Green Bay going aggressive on D in free agency this year

I've heard the same. No clue what their cap situation is but it doesn't look like Raji is going to be back since they want to get faster on the line. Actually, this article makes it sound like they could be going after a DT exactly like Bennett.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ght-depart

I heard today they are in the 30mil under the cap range.

Front office personnel for the Packers were quoted as saying something to the effect of "We want to be more athletic upfront and move away from our piggies in the middle based on tradition"

Think they offer him anything close to 8 mil a year...?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... 26061.html

I think it will take that for us to be out of the hunt. Especially if it is 4 years or more with high guaranteed money.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
I think Chicago is a top suitor. His brother is there and they're probably goona let Peppers go which frees up 17m in cap space and Bennett would be an ideal replacement for the former top pass rusher.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1ibxikem said:
I expect Seattle to offer 3 years/8 million. If some other team offers more let him walk.

Here's the thing I have to wonder.
I doubt the Hawks will have the luxury of shuffling in and out the DL' men that they were able to do this past season.
Will Bennett stand up for the whole season, playing every day?

He does have some injury issues that ultimately will require him to get surgery and he will want it soon enough to be back in time for training camp.

I think he's on a time schedule where he wants to get signed sooner than later.
I agree though no more than 8/year..

razgriz737

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":186ecllj said:
My brother in law who is a huge Redskins fan and lives in DC said their local talk radio has been hearing Bennett's name constantly come up.
Please no...

Anywhere but San Fran or DC.

plyka

Reaction score
I would look to pick him up at 6m-7m or less. 8m is just pushing it.

Most likely, what I think, or i should say, hope they do, is let him walk. He is DAMN GOOD! But he is a part-time player. He also plays in one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL. Still, he only got 11 sacks. Let's not overrate the kid now. This defense and defensive line is based on EVERY PLAYER being damn good. It makes zero sense to blow the wad on one of your damn good players.

If he was as good as Kam or Earl or Sherm, I'd say go ahead. But I think even Wagner may be more important to this team than Bennett, and don't forget, you'll have to pay him as well.

The key to destiny in this league is to not overpay for your average players. Of course average on this defense is DAMN GOOD but relative to the other players on this defense he is just average. Avril is more important in my mind.

It's time to use your advantage --defensive linemen and defensive players in general want to come here so they can build up their value. It makes zero sense to buy high on Bennett. I'm 85% sure that Bennett is gone, and it'll be the best for both sides. There are a number of DLinemen in free agency that can take Bennett's place at a much cheaper price.

Teqneek

Reaction score
"Fans call them greedy"

They are making millions of dollars a year... they leave a chance to win.. (the whole point of a GAME) to make an extra 3 million a year? Yep.. sorry greedy. Kids striving to get into the NFL? Greedy, if the NFL paid the average mans salary would everyone be working their butts to get into it?

Hawkintent

Reaction score
Time for Greg Scruggs to step it back up if Bennett walks. Also, what kind of contract will Houston from Oakland command? Is he considered as big of a name as Bennett now?

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Teqneek":c9kp7euv said:
"Fans call them greedy"

They are making millions of dollars a year... they leave a chance to win.. (the whole point of a GAME) to make an extra 3 million a year? Yep.. sorry greedy. Kids striving to get into the NFL? Greedy, if the NFL paid the average mans salary would everyone be working their butts to get into it?

LOL Wut???? $3 million is a boat load of money. The NFL doesn't pay the average man's salary, because these men aren't average. They entertain you. Like actors, and musicians. They are paid what the market dictates.

If people wanted to watch the neighborhood garbage man pick up the trash, spent $75 for a seat every week for 5 months and spent $50-100 while they watched him do his thing.... Oh, and they bought garbage man apparel and replica coveralls.... They would get paid millions also.

They also have 10 year careers if they're lucky. Even a million a year over 4 years is just an incredible amount of money to say no to. No one here would when their peak earning potential only lasted 6 or 7 years tops.

Where was the greedy talk last year when he took a 1 year deal to play for a ring, bet on himself, and won? He outplayed his contract last year, Will the Seahawks pay him more because of it? Uh, no.

bigcc

Reaction score
Teqneek":2kwhq3sw said:
"Fans call them greedy"

you're delusional if you think turning down an extra 3 million dollars a YEAR makes him greedy. If anything NOT taking the money to play where he can ring a bunch of rings can be viewed as greedy as he wouldn't have as much to support his family with.

Latest posts