Positional value….

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
In general, what’s more valuable: An All Pro offensive tackle or an All Pro 3-tech defensive lineman? Or are they equal in worth?

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Tackle in my book. Harder to find.
Okay, but that’s not what I am trying to ask. Which one is going to have the greater impact on your W-L record and chances to get to Super Bowl? Or are they equal in that respect?

BTW, an Aaron Donald or JJ Watt is not so easy to find.

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
Conventional wisdom would say LT. But I'd go with the disruptive D-lineman. Modern offenses have gotten decent at hiding tackles in pass protection with the quick game, motion, etc. There's not much you can do against someone like Aaron Donald. He will demand double teams, which opens everything up for the guys around him. And he's still going to make 2-5 splash plays. That, to me, is more valuable than anchoring down one side of the line.

Seahawker

Reaction score
If you could add Walter Jones or Cortez Kennedy today to finish the 23' for the Hawks, who would you choose?

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
If you could add Walter Jones or Cortez Kennedy today to finish the 23' for the Hawks, who would you choose?
That’s another way to frame my question. What’s your answer to your own question?

Seahawker

Reaction score
That's a true chicken or the egg question, coin flip, no wrong answer.
If the only information I had was the Raven game, Walt for sure if based on the seven previous games CK.
WJ & Lucas to open up the run game for our RB's & give Geno some real protection.
Or.
Cortez transforming this defense being his unstoppable disruptive self.
Tough call.
I'm going with Cortez because.
1) The hope Cross can up his game.
2) Defense is my first love & watching Tez in this D would be a thing of beauty.

KinesProf

Reaction score
It is tough to say without knowing the players involved; as there are even levels amongst all-pros.

Give me Aaron Donald over any Offensive Tackle to ever play.

But I would also take Joe Thomas, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden over Warren Sapp, Mean Joe Greene or John Randle.

I guess it looks like I am taking the tackle unless the DT is the rarest of outliers, like Aaron Donald.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
A true stud blind side OT is more valuable one that you never have to help out no matter who the pass rusher is. You can always scheme a defense to not need a great 3 tech DT especially if you played a 3-4 like Pittsburgh used to have using a lot of zone blitz’s and relying on LBs to make plays

nwHawk

Reaction score
Okay, but that’s not what I am trying to ask. Which one is going to have the greater impact on your W-L record and chances to get to Super Bowl? Or are they equal in that respect?

BTW, an Aaron Donald or JJ Watt is not so easy to find.
Cortez Kennedy won defensive player of the year in 92, the year the Hawks went 2-14. LT is more important.

evergreen

Reaction score
You take big Walt. Madden called him the best PLAYER in the NFL.

Latest posts