Position by position cuts. DE'S and DT's predictions.

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok I figured with cuts coming we could have a bit of fun with this and go position by position with .Nets experts to see what we end up with as keepers. Comments welcome, not included are those on injury lists or unable to perform.

The DT, DE, LB positions are hard, they interchange positions in our defense so a label on a certain players position isn't always where we use him.

Defensive Ends

56 Avril, Cliff DE , Stays, brought in for our pass rush, can drop into coverage.

72 Bennett, Michael DE , Stays shown ability to get penetration and make a huge difference internal on the D line

79 Bryant, Red DE, Stays our run stopper

51 Irvin, Bruce DE Stays, not going to be counted against the roster once he is suspended, looked good last night as a LB shooting gaps

95 Mayowa, Benson DE, Stays initially, could be a casualty once Irvin is back.

Defensive Tackles

70 Brooks, Michael DT, Showed some real promise, PS I think unless one or both the rookies get put on a PUP list which is possible.

66 Cherrington , Dewayne DT, Have not noticed him, which isn't always a bad thing, but numbers game and lack of visable perfromance makes me beleive he's a cut.

97 Hill, Jordan DT, Showed some agility and ability, got overwhelmed at times but he's a rookie that happens, injured Bicep, could be on PUP while he heals / develops

94 Howard, Jaye DT, Improved over last year has been able to play his gap, nothing to write home about but improvement and a former player for Quinn he could stick.

99 McDaniel, Tony DT, Shoed last night why we grabbed him, good penetratin and disruptive, he stays.

69 McDonald, Clinton DT, Not sure what to think about McDonald, have not seen a lot to sway me one way or another I would lean twoards cut just based on others having shown something.

92 Mebane, Brandon DT, Stays he's been our internal anchor.

65 Parker, Martin DT , Cut, really has not stood out and as a 3 year Vet we should have seen something

74 Siliga, Sealver DT , Just got him from Denver, his roll I assume is to tie guys up for our LB's to shoot gaps he makes the 75 man cuts and I guess we will see more next week.

90 Williams, Jesse DT, Been hurt and has been hot and cold, could see him on PUP also giving him time to get well and develop.

As I stated rolls are so important with all these guys and not sure what they are expected to fill really makes it difficult. I have 9 staying between them all possibly 10. Thats to the 75 man, maybe things will get more clear last pre season game, I'm also sure we will do some creative stashing if possible. Brooks would be a guy to have stick around if Willaims and Hill have any questions about their health whatsoever.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
If one has a knee that need surgery and the other a torn bicep then I could see them landing there.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qx020wi said:
Holy thread spam, Batman.

Did it so you had to edit more typos and grammer screw ups :), Actually thoought discussion could be more focused with just a couple positions in a thread versus a whole roster and things getting lost and it turning into a off topic rant.

seattlest7

Reaction score
chris98251":1rhfl0dd said:
If one has a knee that need surgery and the other a torn bicep then I could see them landing there.

Hill and Williams are ineligible for PUP because they have participated in practice this year. Love your enthusiasm at predicting the 53 man roster, but have awareness of the different roster rules if you want to be taken seriously, otherwise just comes across that you don't know what you're talking about.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
seattlest7":1n7g6gw2 said:
chris98251":1n7g6gw2 said:

Hill and Williams are ineligible for PUP because they have participated in practice this year. Love your enthusiasm at predicting the 53 man roster, but have awareness of the different roster rules if you want to be taken seriously, otherwise just comes across that you don't know what you're talking about.

That's the pre-season PUP they are ineligible for.

They are eligible for regular season PUP if they are injured.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I thought you can only go from pre-season PUP to regular season PUP not as injured if you were not in the pre-season PUP.

Not sure so asking if you are :)

seattlest7

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":gi40k3zm said:
seattlest7":gi40k3zm said:
chris98251":gi40k3zm said:

That's the pre-season PUP they are ineligible for.

They are eligible for regular season PUP if they are injured.

I don't believe that's correct.

"Once a player practices during training camp, all PUP list options are off the table."
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/6/10/4 ... s-injuries

Note that comes from a 9ers blog so take it for what its worth, but it is inline with what I've read from more official news sources too.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
seattlest7":7rzxmtmc said:
chris98251":7rzxmtmc said:

Thanks for noticing my incorrect reference, also who said I wanted to be taken seriously :)

This is about looking at the roster and seeing who and what they bring and opening it up for discussion, besides Mel Kiper predicts stuff as well and nobody takes him seriously either :)

I did mean IR but had PUP stuck in my head for some reason, probably due to looking at the positions and who was where and so forth.

McGruff

Reaction score
I can see Williams landing on IR, but not Hill. His injury is week to week and when healthy he figures to play a significant role.

Tical21

Reaction score
I count too many. This is going to be the toughest group to predict IMO. Irvin should be in the LB count though. Clemons should be counted as well. Do you keep 9 linemen? Brooks and Howard have their work cut out for them.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
It's broke down by .com positions but as I stated rolls and situational guys and guys tweening between LB'S DE's and DT's in some cases make it very convoluted to predict, I was looking forward at 53 man but working it to first cuts.

Hoping that the last game we can see the seperation of players, practice I know plays a huge part that we don't see though.