Pope Hype train?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
When Cable got asked yesterday about Pope and made the remark that he may have the better eyes of any of the backs, he also struck me as discounting the chances of Pope getting carries this week when he began the response with it being just 'an option' - as opposed to his answer being anything at all affirmative. Cable did on the other hand talk positively about the realistic'ness of Rawls getting carries on Sunday.

SeaChat

Reaction score
If you listened to Pete talk yesterday in his press conference, he suggested that it was very likely we would get a look at The Pope in action. I fully expect to see him run a few plays for us on Sunday, along with Rawls and C.J., I'm not sure about Alex being in the running, I'd hope so, as much as I like The Pope, I still think that Collins has some real potential for greatness if brought along right. I just don't know if Seahawks can carry that much weight at RB for the long term.

As a strategy for becoming a kick ass running based offense, can you imagine? Other teams wouldn't know where to start trying to contain us.

Just an added note: I was surfing thru some web streams yesterday, and came across some of Rawls and Pope working out, Rawls is number 34 and The Pope is number 43, like lightening and thunder lol.

It seemed pretty clear to me, from what said during the segment that The Pope was ready to go and was expected to start running plays on Sunday, along with Rawls and Prosise. Depending on how things work for Rawls, we could end end up seeing a lot more of Pope than anyone expects.

I'm really hopeful this time around, that Rawls is truly ready to go and plays like the Rawls that played for us last year. I didn't see that same Rawls at the start of this season.

I , think he was still hurt and didn't realize it, he was still battling the fracture that has kept him off the field until now. I would love to see the Rawls of old our there playing Sunday. Rawls, The Pope, Prosise, all healthy and all playing out there? It could be the most yards rushing ever on record in one game, with this crew.

McGruff

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1pxxjllx said:
My only issue with Pope is the one interview he gave where he sounded dumb. That led me to believe he, lime Michael, might not have the smarts to pick up the system. We have some pretty sharp cookies out there on offense, and to stay on the same page as Wilson you have to study your ass off and have the brains to process it all. No surprise our most productive receiver is Baldwin.

Otherwise, he looks like he can do the job as a backup to Rawls - probably better than Michael can.

Is that hype? I don't think so. I never rated Michael all that well. His spin move at the line blinded him to how the blocking was developing while robbing him of momentum eliminating any leverage to push the pile. He had quickness but it didn't translate north/south.

The Patriots aren't much defensively and Michael did have some good carries against them, but so did Prosise who is not supposed to be our every-down runner. Against tougher defenses, Michael was regularly stuffed.

We need guys who can produce after contact, and Pope looked to be able to do that in the pre-season, albeit against inferior opposition. However, Pope is a work in progress and shouldn't be comparable to Michael yet. The fact that he is is more a condemnation of Michael than praise for Pope, which further underlines the need to move on.

Lynch sounds dumb when we talks too . . . But Lynch isn't dumb.

Mick063

Reaction score
He looked a whole lot better than Collins did in preseason.

Hmmmmm.

How safe is Collins right now?

One carry for one fumble against the Patriots. Runs like the lead singer for Culture Club.
"Do you really want to hurt me?"
" Do you really want to make me cry?"

SeaChat

Reaction score
McGruff":s5gfk9dn said:
KiwiHawk":s5gfk9dn said:
My only issue with Pope is the one interview he gave where he sounded dumb. That led me to believe he, lime Michael, might not have the smarts to pick up the system. We have some pretty sharp cookies out there on offense, and to stay on the same page as Wilson you have to study your ass off and have the brains to process it all. No surprise our most productive receiver is Baldwin.

Otherwise, he looks like he can do the job as a backup to Rawls - probably better than Michael can.

Is that hype? I don't think so. I never rated Michael all that well. His spin move at the line blinded him to how the blocking was developing while robbing him of momentum eliminating any leverage to push the pile. He had quickness but it didn't translate north/south.

The Patriots aren't much defensively and Michael did have some good carries against them, but so did Prosise who is not supposed to be our every-down runner. Against tougher defenses, Michael was regularly stuffed.

We need guys who can produce after contact, and Pope looked to be able to do that in the pre-season, albeit against inferior opposition. However, Pope is a work in progress and shouldn't be comparable to Michael yet. The fact that he is is more a condemnation of Michael than praise for Pope, which further underlines the need to move on.

The old saying holds true, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has one". I don't know which interview you watched, but the one I watched was posted in the Seahwks "sounds from the locker room" as a one on one piece, with a woman interviewer, who is often seen interviewing Seahawk players.

At that time everyone within the Seahawks organization were convinced that he would be on the 2016 53 man roster based on his performance throughout the preseason, and seemingly having beaten out all the other RBs in the Seahawk tradition of competively earning your spot on the team.

In that interview, I found The Pope to be very open and personable. He talked about his religious convictions, saying that he drew his strength, courage, and determination from that source, and gave credit to God for all his successes.
He talked about how excited he was to be playing at Seattle, about feeling really connected with the other players, more so with Wilson, Lockett, Baldwin and a few others because of their shared convictions.

He carried and expressed himself as an educated man, in my assessment anyway, I have a masters in sociology so I don't feel like I'm unqualified to make a judgement like that. I felt he was very real and that he made himself emotionally vulnerable to the fans in that interview, and solidified myself as one of his fans.

I think its for reasons like this, that Mashawn Lynch closed shop with talking to the press. Marshawn is anything but stupid. Maybe because he comes from a different place than a lot of people do, and because he is comfortable with himself and doesn't feel the need to drink tea with his pinky finger extended to try and fit some profile people want him to portray. Reality is Marshawn has more education than 80 % of the folks in this forum. I didn't blame him a bit for telling the media to go to hell, everytimr he tried to cooperate with them, they used any and everything he said against him.

I hope folks aren't dumb enough to continue doing that sort of thing with any of our players. " Criticism is a tribute paid to success, made by mediocrity and stupidity, don't get mad, take a bow". Think about that for a minute before you decide to criticize someone. It might just be yourself who's intelligence comes into question.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sometimes fans have a good feel about a player. I didn't understand the grumbling when Forsett got picked up by the Colts when Holmgren tried to sneak him through waivers, but just like Pope, the team got him back and he was a decent fit for the team over several seasons. Pope looked good in Pre-season but looked to me like PS-likely player and that was it. The team brought him back, cut their feel-good story in CMike and elevated him to the 53-man.

I will withhold judgement on him until I see how he fits in over the rest of the season and possibly beyond. At least he didn't have to go back to his real job yet.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
drdiags":19lqbkka said:
Sometimes fans have a good feel about a player. I didn't understand the grumbling when Forsett got picked up by the Colts when Holmgren tried to sneak him through waivers, but just like Pope, the team got him back and he was a decent fit for the team over several seasons. Pope looked good in Pre-season but looked to me like PS-likely player and that was it. The team brought him back, cut their feel-good story in CMike and elevated him to the 53-man.

I will withhold judgement on him until I see how he fits in over the rest of the season and possibly beyond. At least he didn't have to go back to his real job yet.

I am in this boat. I am not from Missouri...but will wait for the ShowMe to happen.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
pacific101":1z7dbscs said:
McGruff":1z7dbscs said:
KiwiHawk":1z7dbscs said:

The old saying holds true, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has one". I don't know which interview you watched, but the one I watched was posted in the Seahwks "sounds from the locker room" as a one on one piece, with a woman interviewer, who is often seen interviewing Seahawk players.

At that time everyone within the Seahawks organization were convinced that he would be on the 2016 53 man roster based on his performance throughout the preseason, and seemingly having beaten out all the other RBs in the Seahawk tradition of competively earning your spot on the team.

In that interview, I found The Pope to be very open and personable. He talked about his religious convictions, saying that he drew his strength, courage, and determination from that source, and gave credit to God for all his successes.
He talked about how excited he was to be playing at Seattle, about feeling really connected with the other players, more so with Wilson, Lockett, Baldwin and a few others because of their shared convictions.

He carried and expressed himself as an educated man, in my assessment anyway, I have a masters in sociology so I don't feel like I'm unqualified to make a judgement like that. I felt he was very real and that he made himself emotionally vulnerable to the fans in that interview, and solidified myself as one of his fans.

I think its for reasons like this, that Mashawn Lynch closed shop with talking to the press. Marshawn is anything but stupid. Maybe because he comes from a different place than a lot of people do, and because he is comfortable with himself and doesn't feel the need to drink tea with his pinky finger extended to try and fit some profile people want him to portray. Reality is Marshawn has more education than 80 % of the folks in this forum. I didn't blame him a bit for telling the media to go to hell, everytimr he tried to cooperate with them, they used any and everything he said against him.

I hope folks aren't dumb enough to continue doing that sort of thing with any of our players. " Criticism is a tribute paid to success, made by mediocrity and stupidity, don't get mad, take a bow". Think about that for a minute before you decide to criticize someone. It might just be yourself who's intelligence comes into question.

Very very very well expressed.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
watched highlights of Pope and Forsett. PC is right. their running style is strikingly similar.

great vision. one cut and go. no hesitation. 0 to 60 in a second. passes defenders up the middle in a flash.

his great vision allows him to cut back or trust the, dark creases, and jets through the hole.

he's a good change of pace runner. i see pope getting 2-4 carries if the offense can stay on schedule.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Here's how we will know if the hype is real: Is it Pope or Collins on the inactive list today? If Collins, I think it's time to get pretty fired up about Pope.

Jville

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":38fd361s said:
Here's how we will know if the hype is real: Is it Pope or Collins on the inactive list today? If Collins, I think it's time to get pretty fired up about Pope.

I am also looking forward to seeing the inactive list. In addition to running back, they now have 4 healthy tight ends to chose from.

I'm looking forward to the answers as to who plays today. These are the best of times.

Go Hawks!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seahawks Inactives: RB Collins, S Powell, LB Pierre-Louis, DE Bennett, T Webb, T Sowell, TE Vannett.