Pope Hype train?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2lv19c37 said:
I just think Prosise is not a guy that you want to run between the tackles with often. Which means Rawls is that guy, and we know he's not full go yet - full workload in a game, which means Pope is that guy...not CMike...and not Collins. I find it interesting.

Pete needs quite a few things out of his RB's

- physical
- initiates contact
- protects the ball
- runs through contact
- sound blocker and assignment savvy
- catches the ball

Rawls can do all these things when healthy. Prosise showed last week he can as well. Collins? Too soon to tell, but he fumbled so that doesn't bode well for many more series.........and Pope also showed in pre-season that he's a well rounded runner more in the style Pete likes.

CMike barely did any of these things. So he's gone. Simple as that.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
The jury is still out on Pope, for the obvious reason that he hasn't produced yet (except for a few flashy plays late in a couple preseason games) but what is already clear is that the JS Jury not only brought him back to the PS, the team then PROMOTED him to the 53. So it's at least a good start.

Heard him on KIRO in the past hour and agree he's no brain surgeon but football smarts come in all shapes. Here's hoping he's got what Cable suggests, and that he might well be a better spark plug than CMike.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Marshawn didn't come off as intelligent in any interview I've seen him in, but nonetheless his football IQ was off the charts.

Just because one isn't the best salesman, doesnt meant he can't find success as a businessman.

And great salesmen can still be poor businessmen.

CMike and Harvin were salesmen, they intrigued with thier product, but once they faltered in thier business decisions (mentality) they failed.

Marshawn was all business.

If Pope is all business, I could care less how he sells himself (within legal reason, got to protect the team).

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Who cares about book smart if you have football smarts. Marshawn is a good example.

That whole NFL Wonderlic score which means absolutely nothing make it seem if you are book smart you would be football smart.

"Among active players, Buffalo QB (and Harvard grad) Ryan Fitzpatrick has the highest score with a 48 (out of 50). Most of the players with remarkably high scores are QBs or wide receivers. Blaine Gabbert, Eric Decker, Calvin Johnson and Alex Smith all scored 40 or better. And Matthew Stafford, Eli Manning, Colin Kaepernick, Tony Romo and Aaron Rodgers all hold scores over 35."

Tom Brady – 33
Peyton Manning – 28
Drew Brees – 28
Russell Wilson – 28
Joe Flacco – 27
Ben Roethlisberger – 25

I hope Pope comes out firing on all cylinders.

Jville

Reaction score
The Seahawks are not a cookie cutter team. Each player is unique. Their uniqueness is what facilitates advantageous match ups every week. Championships are fueled by uniqueness and surprise.

Troymaine Pope is the new and different guy. He is the guy opponents have not yet prepared for. He is the spot player that can slip in and wreck havoc. The occasional surprise play maker. At the very least, in a similar role to that of the sometimes unaccounted for Tanner McEvoy. Uniqueness matters. Surprise matters.

This 2016 roster just keeps getting stronger and more versatile.

I am so looking forward to the next episode of Seahawk Sunday!

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1xlleovl said:
Ok. After getting shelled here let me get back to the points I was trying to make:

- We just released a capable starting back and promoted a guy from the PS
- Pope has 1 carry for 1 yard in the regular season, so to look at what he did in preseason (in my opinion) is tough. Shoot, Marsh looks great in preseason. He's had what, two good games? In two years?
- I was wrong on the Special Teams. He can return. But really are we going to put No E on the bench for returns? Essentially he doesn't play ST was my point
- Collins is being demoted, inactive, whatever you wanna call it
- I see Pope's running style similar to Rawls and yet we're being told he's unlike any other backs on the roster

Again, I hope the guy does great. I'm not bagging on him. The team is full of great stories.

I just think Prosise is not a guy that you want to run between the tackles with often. Which means Rawls is that guy, and we know he's not full go yet - full workload in a game, which means Pope is that guy...not CMike...and not Collins. I find it interesting.

I don't think they are trying to portray that Pope is ultimatey a unique RB compared to the rest. They just all have have strengths that make them different. Cable imo was eluding to Pope as a guy who can win in tight holes and churn for positive yards. All business, no improvisation, straight to the point with the quickness and toughness and aptitude to run the play and trust in the design. Carroll imo was comparing size to Justin Forsett first and foremost but as well as someone who was athletically limited but strived by doing things correctly how they were supposed to, win or lose, with great sense of urgency and understanding to take what was given despite his lack of size, speed, agility to be a consistent workhors. Even though Forsett would eventually work his way into being a feature back for a couple of seasons. Force was all business, an overachiever, a conssumate pro. See the trend?

Patriots, Belicheck has built his success by surrounding his stars with players that are all business focused on one goal: doing their job to win. And he will quickly remove players who think otherwise.

With that said so what if Pope is similar to Rawls, 2 Rawls are better than 1.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2t9wwzju said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2t9wwzju said:
edogg23":2t9wwzju said:
Anyone else see Frank Gore in this guy?
I seen Frank Gore in Thomas Rawls ;)
Gore was born with very rare Grit, Lynch had it too.

You could argue that Grit is was what catapulted an udfa rookie over Turbin (released) and Michael (traded) in 2015.

You could argue that Grit is what allowed Rawls to be so successful, so quickly when his opportunity to step up came.

You could argue that display of Grit put Marshawn on notice, in which he took Rawls under his wings... something he didn't do for Turbin or Michael at least so transparently.

I would argue that Rawls possesses that rare Grit or in the least that is the best aspect of his game, whether or not he can come back to it and ever sustain it again... that is the question.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":r7k1jutu said:
What is interesting about it? Michael's performance between the tackles proved he's not "that guy". We don't know if Pope is, but we know Michael isn't. If Michael is on the roster to be "that guy" and he isn't "that guy" well, then I guess he's not on the roster.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":xkixn634 said:
LeftHandSmoke":xkixn634 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":xkixn634 said:
edogg23":xkixn634 said:
Anyone else see Frank Gore in this guy?
I seen Frank Gore in Thomas Rawls ;)
Gore was born with very rare Grit, Lynch had it too.

You could argue that Grit is was what catapulted an udfa rookie over Turbin (released) and Michael (traded) in 2015.

You could argue that Grit is what allowed Rawls to be so successful, so quickly when his opportunity to step up came.

You could argue that display of Grit put Marshawn on notice, in which he took Rawls under his wings... something he didn't do for Turbin or Michael at least so transparently.

I would argue that Rawls possesses that rare Grit or in the least that is the best aspect of his game, whether or not he can come back to it and ever sustain it again... that is the question.

Good post.

bighawk

Reaction score
In Rawls I see a mini Adrian Peterson and in Pope I see a Darren Sproles type with speed and shiftiness. This is an exciting trio of backs.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I've taken a lot of flak since early preseason for my assessment of The Pope as being the genuine article and having demonstrated the potential to become a world class RB in the NFL , maybe even becoming a Hall of Famer and having his jersey hung up in the Seahawk stadium one day.

Hell if you think I don't know how crazy that might sound to a lot of you, your wrong, I do. I have a pretty good eye for talent, and I've stepped out on a limb more than once over the years with my crazy predictions or opinions. Shaun Alexander, Marshawn Lynch, Thomas Rawls, to name a few.

I have heard a lot of folks in this forum saying that Pope was to small to be a running back in the NFL, we've heard that before, haven't we? Russell Wilson, Doug Baldwin, Tyler Lockett, to name a few recently. Pete seems to lean a little bit towards the "small guys", and so far he's had pretty damn good success with his choices.

I'm 6'4", 270, and will tell you the best piece my dad gave me growing up, was that if me and my buddies ever found ourselves in a situation where we going to have to fight with another group of guys, and I assure you in my life, that scenario presented itself a few times, to always avoid the small guy, and instead set my sights on the biggest one. I might not always win that one, but I sure got a lot of entertainment watching my buddies who were dumb enough to think the small one would be a piece of cake, get their asses kicked like they had never been kicked before.

The Pope has already demonstrated that he can play with the big boys. He was on the field during preseason and many of the routes he ran were against 1st string opposition. It might help to refresh everyone's memory that he averaged 8.6 yards per carry and gave defensive players fits.

Ask our defence how he is doing in practice? Don't you think that is why the moved him up to active and waived Christin?

I was so dissapointed when they cut Troymaine at the end of preseason, he came to Seattle and was told if he worked hard, played hard, and met their criteria, that he could successfully compete and win a spot on the team. He gave them that and a whole lot more, only to be cut, in my opinion, because he didn't have the pedigree that others competing for that slot had. It sure wasn't because of his not out performing every other running back competing at the time.

I felt that letting him go was the biggest mistake the Seahawks had made in all the years they have existed. I respect Pete immensley, but I didn't see eye to eye with him on this decision. I was more than frustrated by it, it violated everything I had believed previously to be true about the Seahawk system, and the first time I'd seen someone cut like that , in spite of their efforts and accomplishments.

I heard Pope had been let go by the Jets, who wouldn't know a good running back if they ran the ball straight up their backsides. I then heard something about his maybe going to Dallas. I was hoping that Seahawks management had realized how badly they screwed up when they cut him, and, having seen how their other RBs were panning out, would scoop him up and bring him back home to Seattle, where he truly belongs.

The Pope, fits with the Seahawks, on so many levels. There was a one on one interview that they did with him during the preseason, and in watching that, I felt like he really gave us a look at who he is as a player and as a person.

I know a lot of folks don't put much stock in a players religious convictions. I felt that his was genuine and shared by many of the other Seahawk players. He was committed to being solid on every level, emotionally, physically, spiritually and mentally, which is evident in his game on the field and off.

It was also obvious that the rest of the team had bonded with him and fully expected that he would be on the team playing with them this year, based on his performance in practice and in the preseason games. I'm sure a good many of the players were as disappointed with management as were a lot of other fans, myself included.

When they announced The Pope's Seahawk home coming, I said that it was only a matter of time, before someone was going to get bounced, so he could move up on to the 53 man roster, where he rightfully belongs by the way.

For his sake and mine. I hope I'm able to write a boat load of "I told you so" post, here over the next few years. Starting immediately with the first game he plays in, which may be this Sunday if I heard Pete right in a recent press conference.

If I'm all mushed in the head on this one, fear not I'll eat my crow. I have got that feeling that I'm going to be serving up a whole lot of salt and pepper shakers sets to all the naysayers out there who have been given me flack for speaking my mind and sharing my belief in this kid, He is going to do great things for the Seahawks, you can quote me on that.
It's not like I fear having my credibility destroyed by getting on a players band wagon, It would be pretty grandiose of me to think anyone will even remember what I said a few days from now.

Go Seahawks!!!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
It would be a big (but pleasant) surprise if Pope can run better than Rawls.

Hawknight

Reaction score
jake206":2c18ojg6 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeaHawkRun/status/799079303266713600[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/799002219831906304[/tweet]

I sure as hell am behind Pope. Imagine what could be with the three headed spear of Prosise, Rawls and Pope if he lives up to potential and what we saw during the preseason. Our running game could get very exciting very quick here. Me likey very much. :179422:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sneak him through.. LOL

Better chance of sneaking AC through.