Poll: What Was The Main Reason For The Loss?

What Was The Main Reason For The Loss?

• Coaching or lacktherof.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Too many distractions (travel, hype, etc).

Votes: 13 11.3%
  • Simply not matching the Bucs intensity in the first half.

Votes: 53 46.1%
  • Buying into the hype (reading the press clippings, thinking just showing up would be enough, etc)

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Being a YOUNG team.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other (Please comment below).

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
The Bucs had the bigger chip on their shoulder.

And had a better game plan, and coaching. It happens. Next...!

pmedic920

Reaction score
Not sure where my opinion falls, but I said that the “D” appeared confused.

I suspect that they game planned to defend Brady’s arm, and the Bucs cam out running the ball.

I’m kinda of the opinion “all of the above” but I guess ultimately if pressured I’d put it on “coaching”.

I truly believe we have the better team (more talent), I didn’t see a bunch of mistakes, so it has to be “coaching” right???

We should have, easily could have won that game.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
I think Aros mentioned it in another thread of his.. they the Bucs were on a mission and played at a higher level while the Hawks seemed to be happy as vacationers. Yeah, we got beat at all levels and by the time we got into the game, it was really to late.
I think Bobblehead and Aros pretty much nailed it with this comment. The "young" Seahawks might have also been a little "star-struck" by playing against Tom Brady and also distracted by the fun experience of the trip to Germany.
Maybe they also "let down their guard" by buying into all of the positive press that they have been receiving. The defense seemed to regress a little, especially against the run, the offense just didn't get going early in the game. Their defense shut down our running game, but we didn't do the same.
The lesson learned? Always play hard to win, never let up until the final whistle sounds.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The 5 yard gashes here and there we gave up on the ground coupled with Brady throwing dots on top of a poor field and a time zone that might as well be the twilight zone. We’re kicking the Raiders ass when we get off bye

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think we are ALL tired of complaining about the REFS
You might be, but I NEVER tire of the truth.
The Refs were NOT THE ONLY REASON for the loss, but it sure as hell played a big part in that "Loss".
Officiating bias is REAL and dishonorable, it absolutely should be in the discussion, and SHOULDN'T BE scoffed at nor dismissed.

pmedic920

Reaction score
You might be, but I NEVER tire of the truth.
The Refs were NOT THE ONLY REASON for the loss, but it sure as hell played a big part in that "Loss".
Officiating bias is REAL and dishonorable, it absolutely should be in the discussion, and SHOULDN'T BE scoffed at nor dismissed.
I agree with you.

I’ll offer this however.
Do you ever check out other fan forums?
If not trust me, every fan base thinks they get shafted by the refs.

It absolutely sucks that any NFL game comes down to the quality of officiating, and I’m 100% convinced that some games are decided by how the officiating went.

I don’t think you and I have opposite opinions here.

I believe that the NFL could do more to ensure the quality of officiating improved.
Personally I’d start with making officials full time NFL employees. No more doctors, lawyers, and pilots having “NFL officiating” as a side gig. I think there should be a process for holding officials accountable for missed or wrong calls/non calls.

It is what it is.

Fact it the matter is, NFL teams need to be cognizant of the fact that officiating is an aspect of the game, they need to play accordingly. They need to play in a manner that takes this particular variable out of the equation.

YMMV

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This picture is amazing and really exemplifies what was happening at the LOS yesterday.

However, one big caveat I want to add is: We didn't get flagged for holding either. We weren't holding to anything close to the degree and egregiousness that Tampa Bay was, but the fact is, the refs didn't screw us with holding calls while letting this go for TB.

Now, specifically ignoring holding calls very much benefits a team like TB who has struggled mightily to give Brady time whereas our OL has done very well for Geno, but I always say my biggest issue is when refs call ticky-tack BS on one side and ignore it on the other side. That's not what happened. (Though that didn't keep me from cursing the heck out of my television yesterday morning.)

So, two takeaways, based on that: First, we should have started playing as dirty as Tampa. Second, I'm less concerned about what this means for our front 7 in the future since it is rare that a team can get away with this level of holding so consistently throughout a game.
Coaching your players to follow suit & okay cheating because the other team is doing it?
HELL NO!...There is zero integrity in that kind of play, and shame on the Officiating not doing right by calling a fair game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I agree with you.

I’ll offer this however.
Do you ever check out other fan forums?
If not trust me, every fan base thinks they get shafted by the refs.

It absolutely sucks that any NFL game comes down to the quality of officiating, and I’m 100% convinced that some games are decided by how the officiating went.

I don’t think you and I have opposite opinions here.

I believe that the NFL could do more to ensure the quality of officiating improved.
Personally I’d start with making officials full time NFL employees. No more doctors, lawyers, and pilots having “NFL officiating” as a side gig. I think there should be a process for holding officials accountable for missed or wrong calls/non calls.

It is what it is.

Fact it the matter is, NFL teams need to be cognizant of the fact that officiating is an aspect of the game, they need to play accordingly. They need to play in a manner that takes this particular variable out of the equation.

YMMV
Then with the kind of bias that we saw in this game the Seahawks were beat before they even suited up.
Memo to the NFL Powers that be-> 'Integrity' never goes out of style

pmedic920

Reaction score
Then with the kind of bias that we saw in this game the Seahawks were beat before they even suited up.
Memo to the NFL Powers that be-> 'Integrity' never goes out of style
Ok but…..

Did you notice any “holding” that our O line did that wasn’t called?

I did, and I suggest that you watch a replay and focus only on line play.

I’ve focused on line play a lot this season, I’ve watched/re-watched several games, many that don’t include the Seahawks.

I’m of the opinion that “holding” occurs in almost every play in almost every game.

My opinion is that “holding” is way to subjective. It affords the opportunity to steer a game.
I’m not sure what the answer is, if every “hold” was called the game would almost go in reverse.

I agree whole heartedly that officiating in the NFL is suspect, I’m just not sure that an “agenda” exists. As a Seahawk fan I’d like to think that the refs have held us back, but I think every fan base believes that about their team.

Having said that, I had the opportunity last year to speak with a player from XL, I won’t say a name but the pictures are available here if anyone wants to investigate. I asked said player if he thought they got shafted in XL, I was told Phuc yea we got phucked.
I then asked about conversations with players and ex-players not associated with the game, I was told that even players from the Steelers admitted that they got “breaks”.

Officiating is what it is, mistakes happen.
The door is open for officials to have an impact.
Is there an agenda each year?
IDK

But I do know this, every fan base believes they are a victim of officiating.
The forums prove me correct.

Last edited:

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Coaching your players to follow suit & okay cheating because the other team is doing it?
HELL NO!...There is zero integrity in that kind of play, and shame on the Officiating not doing right by calling a fair game.
There is 'cheating' and there is telling your linemen to be aggressive at the LOS. As is oft stated (a bit too often, but I digress) holding can be called on near every snap in the NFL. If the officials aren't throwing flags for the type of stuff Tampa was doing, yes, our guys ABSOLUTELY should have been amping up their aggression at the LOS until the officials made them stop.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ok but…..

Did you notice any “holding” that our O line did that wasn’t called?

I did, and I suggest that you watch a replay and focus only on line play.

I’ve focused on line play a lot this season, I’ve watched/re-watched several games, many that don’t include the Seahawks.

I’m of the opinion that “holding” occurs in almost every play in almost every game.

My opinion is that “holding” is way to subjective. It affords the opportunity to steer a game.
I’m not sure what the answer is, if every “hold” was called the game would almost go in reverse.

I agree whole heartedly that officiating in the NFL is suspect, I’m just not sure that an “agenda” exists. As a Seahawk fan I’d like to think that the refs have held us back, but I think every fan base believes that about their team.

Having said that, I had the opportunity last year to speak with a player form XL, I won’t say a name but the pictures are available here if anyone wants to investigate. I asked said player if he thought they got shafted in XL, I was told Phuc yea we got phucked.
I then asked about conversations with players and ex-players not associated with the game, I was told that even players from the Steelers admitted that they got “breaks”.

Officiating is what it is, mistakes happen.
The door is open for officials to have an impact.
Is there an agenda each year?
IDK

But I do know this, every fan base believes they are a victim of officiating.
The forums prove me correct.
Mistakes do indeed happen, but there absolutely are Ref's with bias, making erroneous calls and that's not a "Mistake", that's dishonesty that can and does change the outcome of games.
DK got flagged for just speaking out on the issue in this game and threatened to be EJECTED if he did it again.
The Refs threw a flag when Geno ran & then slid when the Defenders LEFT elbow came in contact with the QB's helmet while punching at the football with his RIGHT hand, the Announcers said that that was indeed a foul, BUT the Refs PICKED UP THE RAG, and stated "No Foul"....It just doesn't square.
The Seahawks players & Coaches could & should have done a hell of a lot better job, no doubt about it, but that doesn't excuse the Refs for NOT doing "A Lot Better Job" too.

cymatica

Reaction score
Coaching 100%. They went away from what has been working on both sides of the ball. Didn't use many 3 TE sets in the first half and hardly any rollouts if any. On defense they went with 2 man fronts and, surprise, got gashed in the run game. Really have no idea what the hell the coaches were thinking. Complete fail in the game plan department

cymatica

Reaction score
Take a look at this picture... 3 of our defensive lineman being held in this one picture...
Thinking the Refs allowing this the whole game may have influenced the outcome.
View attachment 55731
Always hear that they can call holding on every play, but this is the kind of crap that should get called and not calling it proves the refs can easily steer games. I don't care what anyone says, if this doesn't get flagged then it's because they chose not to throw the flag. You know they didn't mistakenly miss these holds because we've all seen ticky tack holds called that are barely visible even in replay.

Just watch the final running play first down that sealed the win for Tampa. #76 left tackle for Tampa tackled our dlineman from behind right as he was about to tackle the running back for no gain.

What a freakin joke. Im done with this crap

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
I would have picked coaching if not for the 'or lack thereof' part. The team is obviously well coached. But I think they outhought themselves and played right into the Bucs hands.

We have to remember this is a good team, but on defense, it's still young and the system, new. If I had to guess, I'd say the staff looked at Bryant and Jackson going up against Brady, Julio and Evans and thought we'd be outgunned. So, given the Bucs inability to run, they gambled that shifting to a defensive strategy that fortified the back end at the expense of some stoutness against the run was a smart play. But to do that, they had to make Mone inactive. That, I think was the big error. Mone is a force against the run. With him out, we had a run defense that was hamstrung, and a 3-4 set that has yet to find its legs. So Tampa gashed us on the ground, and then feasted on a 'yet to gel' pass defense out of the 3-4.

Not lack of coaching. Just a botched strategy.