POLL: So, should ET be returning punts?

Are you ok with ET returning punts?

• Yes

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 55.0%
  • Pandion Haliaetus (this is a flip flop option where you can say either one and change your position

Votes: 17 11.3%

• Total voters

253hawk

Reaction score
LaSeeno":2fv7s7ig said:
Wrong, your coach is letting the player have his way/. Letting one of the best FS's in the league and players on your team return punts is a bad idea.

Worked out alright for Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders; they seemed like pretty important dudes on defense and never got hurt doing it.

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't like it, but nobody else has stepped up showing they can do it better based on the fact we have him doing it, until he proves he has bad judgement back there or we find someone better or he starts having drops etc he is the guy. He brings a level of respect due to his speed and ability to break away which means players have to stay in lanes or chance a return to the house.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
LaSeeno":fbtrauao said:
RolandDeschain":fbtrauao said:
LaSeeno":fbtrauao said:
2. PRs take hits from awkward angles, you don't use the best FS in the game as a PR! It's not worth the extra 3 yard AVG.
You don't do it for the average gain, you do it because once in a while he'll break off a huge one that other guys wouldn't have, which can be the difference in a close game. Plus, Pete lives and breathes his "always compete" mantra at all levels, and playing starters on special teams helps solidify that message to everyone in the locker room in a big way.

Wrong, your coach is letting the player have his way/. Letting one of the best FS's in the league and players on your team return punts is a bad idea.
So, let me get this straight, you think Pete Carroll is stupid for letting ET do Punt Returns?
I am amazed at how smart some guys are in here, and how Lucky, Dumb, and Rich Pete Carroll is. :roll:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":27badsxi said:
I wonder if anyone has the injury rate for punt returners. That would shed some light on the risk factor.
I found this information like a year or two ago, but I can't recall where. IIRC, punt returners had about a double chance of injury over the average NFL play. Sounds bad when you say it like that, but still pretty uncommon for punt returners to get injured.

warden

Reaction score
Posters on these boards act like they no more then Pete

LargentFan

Reaction score
I agree with those who say we should trust Pete Carroll, but that doesn't make for interesting conversation. I took that part of the equation out of it when I gave my answer. I still think it's a bad idea, but I fully acknowledge that Pete Carrol has more football knowledge than I do.

If we should all just say we trust Carroll in everything, wouldn't every thread on this board be pretty boring?
Again, I DO trust him, but my opinion differs from his on this point.

Also...
Disagreeing with someone is not the same as thinking that person is stupid...

Hawks46

Reaction score
warden":1fjxtw8f said:
I don't want our players or coaches to play scared or even think of it. If Earl is the best man for the job then play him, don't be scared about it.

This. When you play not to get hurt, you end up getting hurt. On a professional football field, if you're not going FULL out, you're going to get hurt.

I'm not too worried about it. Anyone remember the last time they saw a punt returner hurt ? I can't.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I definitely would prefer someone else do it. That's how the Cardinals lost Honey Badger last season.. and I don't care if the risk is minimal, if Earl is lost to injury the defense goes with him. He is that important to everything..

Would rather stick Baldwin back there if Richardson can't do it. Just too much risk IMO having Earl take punts back.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2pkamraq said:
Hawks46":2pkamraq said:
I'm not too worried about it. Anyone remember the last time they saw a punt returner hurt ? I can't.

This.

LaMichael James. 2013.

Though we have Lockette so Earl should be safe

I'm a yes on this issue. Field position matters and Earl can change Seattle's in a hurry.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Haha nice option with Pandion, he is the biggest flip flopper I know of on this forum but I'm trying to ease up with our constant "debates".

I'm actually OK with Earl Thomas returning punts as long as he only does it when it's a close game or if we are behind. I don't wanna see him out there if we have a nice lead.

I think it's a bit awkward that he's our best punt returner since he is so incredibly valuable to risk him taking hits. But I think he's a pretty durable guy so this is WAYYY better than having a guy like Sherman out there which I would straight up hate that decision.

So I think the risk is worth the reward as long as we only use him when we really need him to win, and as long as none of our other players are ALMOST as good as him.

Oh and if it allows us to not waste a roster spot on Walters that's another great reason to support this decision.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3bt4b716 said:
OkieHawk":3bt4b716 said:
Hawks46":3bt4b716 said:

This.

LaMichael James. 2013.

I'm a yes on this issue. Field position matters and Earl can change Seattle's in a hurry.

Good call, totally forgot about that beheading. Still a rarity though.

Mtgriz2244

Reaction score
I see no reason why not. If he is the best option among the group, they need to take full advantage. There is always the chance for injury no matter what position being played. Once the regular season starts, full speed ahead!

253hawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":kf0rw5r5 said:

Most of these PR taking big hits are (1) not calling for a fair catch because they all think they're the next Dante Hall, trying to make the hi-light reel and (2) they are crouching as the ball comes into their body to prevent it from bouncing off their shoulder pads. This turns a lot of torso-high tackles into getting blasted in the neck/helmet area. Poor technique.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1k2ilysl said:
Tech Worlds":1k2ilysl said:
I wonder if anyone has the injury rate for punt returners. That would shed some light on the risk factor.
I found this information like a year or two ago, but I can't recall where. IIRC, punt returners had about a double chance of injury over the average NFL play. Sounds bad when you say it like that, but still pretty uncommon for punt returners to get injured.

Yeah, on a per play basis, because every punt goes to the same returner.

If you target a WR 10 times a game he's still on the field for anywhere between 30-60 plays where the ball goes nowhere near him, so the chance for injury on a per play basis is significantly less. The chance for injury on PRs is ridiculously low when you consider the number of punts fielded in a season

Largent80

Reaction score
I guess another question would be....Who fills his spot at safety if he gets injured and are you happy with having that player there, and what kind of drop off would there be?

Hawks46

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2zoj8icr said:
Sarlacc83":2zoj8icr said:
OkieHawk":2zoj8icr said:
Hawks46":2zoj8icr said:

This.

LaMichael James. 2013.

Yea, I remember reading about that (now) but I didn't see it, so probably why I forgot about it. Was he the only one last year?