POLL: So, should ET be returning punts?

Are you ok with ET returning punts?

• Yes

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 83 55.0%
  • Pandion Haliaetus (this is a flip flop option where you can say either one and change your position

Votes: 17 11.3%

• Total voters

253hawk

Reaction score
Already lost track of the number of morons on facebook (whose profiles are only recently-slathered with 12/Hawk stuff) whining about Earl returning KICKOFFS. Just go back to whatever it was you were doing before you pretended to care about football and let a grown man make his own decisions.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
One interesting angle is that hardly anyone seems to worry about Percy Harvin returning kickoffs. In fact, it's something we really, really like. We know he's got the skill to break a big one at any time, and that almost guarantees points on the board.

With Earl Thomas on punt returns, we may have a very similar situation. He returned one for a few yards and the other for 59 yards. If he can do this fairly consistently, that's probably 4-5 points added a game on average, and the possibility for a whole lot more.

When the difference between the Seahawks' offense last year (which we complained about heartily), and the Broncos' all-time record-breaking offense, is about 10 points per game, adding even a field goal per game is a significant improvement.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I voted no. Yes, injuries are a part of the game, but I certainly don't want to see Earl getting popped like Lockette popped that dude last night. The reward is not worth the risk for any of the 'essential guys' to be back there.

Uffda

Reaction score
Thought Brian Walters did a decent job during the second preseason game.

warden

Reaction score
I don't want our players or coaches to play scared or even think of it. If Earl is the best man for the job then play him, don't be scared about it.

Danthe12thman

Reaction score
Absolutely NOT. Getting hit even just a few times a game and then running around when he gets a chance is additional wear and tear on the body. 12 games later will be taking a toll on our safety position. We can afford a WR wearing down but we do not have the depth behind Earl to keep his legs fresher during the season. PR needs to make the team by excelling on the special teams. FO may also pick someone up after league cutdowns.

253hawk

Reaction score
Yeah, and we had Tate doing PR last year with what WR depth exactly? Kearse and Baldwin? Don't recall hearing anyone complaining about that 'risk.'

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
253hawk":26x866sy said:
Yeah, and we had Tate doing PR last year with what WR depth exactly? Kearse and Baldwin? Don't recall hearing anyone complaining about that 'risk.'

we had 4 other WR's behind Tate including 1 in PS. Not to mention, we could go games without Tate even being a factor and be find because of our type of offense.

Losing ET would be FAR more detrimental to our defensive scheme then losing ANY wr from our offensive scheme.

And for the record, I voted he should be the returner. But this is a bad comparison.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
253hawk":1rg8ter6 said:
Yeah, but Tate wasn't covered in Seahawk blue painted egg shells like a lot of people here think Thomas is.
Kenny Easley also volunteered to return punts.
Obviously I voted yes on the poll, and I did so, because it's obvious to me that whatever I think, won't change one single fact, plus, if Pete thinks he's the best man for the job, and ET wants to keep doing it, it don't matter what anyone else thinks.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If ET is the best at returning punts, then YES he should be returning them. The position is too important to not give it to whoever's best.

LargentFan

Reaction score
I look at it this way...
Imagine the best case scenario happens. Earl returns a punt for a touchdown. 70 yards at full speed or near it. Exhausted and sucking on an oxygen tank after the run. Now he has to go back out there and be who he is for our defense.

No thanks. Rest up Earl. We need every bit of your speed and energy on D.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'd gladly trade ET taking a few plays off for a special teams touchdown.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1sxx7tss said:
Yes, if he's the best man for the job.

Tate was the #1 WR last year and still had Punt Return duties.

Thomas has also been the most durable player we've had in the last 4 years. Guy has yet to miss a single game. Has he ever even came off the field due to injury during a game?

He's a big boy, if he wants to do it, then so be it... I'm not going to worry about something like this, the team is free to decide whatever it wants, I'm just a fan and will be cheering for Earl or Bryan or whomever is the PR.
Exactly. Sometimes this whole site is more female then a night out at Chippendale's.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I trust Pete Carroll, and anybody here that doesn't trust him to do what's best for the team overall, be it letting Earl return punts in the regular season or keeping him from doing it, can go to hell.

Whatever Papa Pete decides, I am on board with.

LaSeeno

Reaction score
No.

1. You don't get "gassed" returning punts as one poster put it for the reason the Lions don't use Tate as a PR.
2. PRs take hits from awkward angles, you don't use the best FS in the game as a PR! It's not worth the extra 3 yard AVG.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
LaSeeno":1fkfmauy said:
2. PRs take hits from awkward angles, you don't use the best FS in the game as a PR! It's not worth the extra 3 yard AVG.
You don't do it for the average gain, you do it because once in a while he'll break off a huge one that other guys wouldn't have, which can be the difference in a close game. Plus, Pete lives and breathes his "always compete" mantra at all levels, and playing starters on special teams helps solidify that message to everyone in the locker room in a big way.

bill21792

Reaction score
Risk isn't worth the reward in my opinion.

Thomas is one of the quickest, most nimble guys on the team, probably the best option at punt returner (or maybe Harvin). But you're more likely to get hit at awkward angles on PR than playing free safety imo.

I'd prefer to use someone like Lockette or Paul Richardson. Plenty of speed (although not nearly as nimble), but maybe they're just not naturals at it.

I'd hate to lose Earl for the occasional big play. Probably won't matter in most games with this talented of a team. Only thing worse than losing Earl is losing Russ.

LaSeeno

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2n7b301t said:
LaSeeno":2n7b301t said:
You don't do it for the average gain, you do it because once in a while he'll break off a huge one that other guys wouldn't have, which can be the difference in a close game. Plus, Pete lives and breathes his "always compete" mantra at all levels, and playing starters on special teams helps solidify that message to everyone in the locker room in a big way.

Wrong, your coach is letting the player have his way/. Letting one of the best FS's in the league and players on your team return punts is a bad idea.

Latest posts