POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 126 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 74 37.0%

• Total voters

Torc

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2q6ky2fi said:
Bettis got in so Beast deserves to be in period.There are others in whos stats are not as good..

I still don't understand how Bettis got in, especially on a first ballot. Dude only broke a 4 yard average in 4 of his 12 seasons - he spent most of his career in the 3.5-3.8ypc range. Basically he broke 1000 yards in the seasons he did because they just kept handing it to him no matter how little he was getting.

I admit I didn't see him play much, but statistically he is incredibly underwhelming. It seems more like he rode the SBXL hype all the way from cheating refs to a sentimental HOF vote. So hopefully there isn't too much comparison between him and Lynch. :)

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Getting 80% is going to be difficult when only getting 62% from the home fans.

drdiags

Reaction score
Love that Sando article.

I would love to live to see Lynch make the HOF. His acceptance speech would be epic I believe. Or he would stand there for 10 minutes and drink water ... ha ha!

mrt144

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":ml5m3x97 said:
kf3339":ml5m3x97 said:
The problem is the game has changed and the RB position has been minimized in favor of the passing attacks of today.

So the numbers that backs today get don't quite add up to many of the great Hall of Fame RB's from the past.

With a slightly different inflection, this could actually be made to make the case for his enshrinment.

That's what I was thinking.

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's all about what he did for the sport. He was revelation on the field, doing things no one had ever seen before. The power of his legs was unreal and the way he could move piles.

He changed this team, just by being himself. The defense played physical, the offense was able to things they could not have done without the threat of Lynch. Like put scrubs on the offensive line.

Opposing defenses feared him, players made "business decisions" on the field.

Opposing coaches had to game plan for him.

And EVERYBODY who looked at him honestly, loved him. He was a joy to watch, and even opposing teams stood up off the bench to watch Marshawn play.

He will be missed. And he will be talked about. In draft circles it will be 'his physical style reminds me a little bit of Marshawn Lynch."

He is iconic, everyone knows who Beast Mode is.

There were YouTube videos made about him "Roman Harper suck my pinky" It was "pinky" right? :shock:

And you really want evidence he belongs in the Hall of Fame? He tweeted his retirement during the Superbowl with an epic goodbye, and everybody is talking about it. He's in the news as much as anybody from the Superbowl!

There are stories about Marshawn on NFL.com, Sports Illustrated, ESPN/NFL, hell, probably even stories about him in business magazines. Stuff like "How did Marshawn Lynch go from successful football player to elite businessman?"

He's one for the ages, and not even Earl Campbell was as much as an icon as MoneyLynch is. Campbell played a little too early for him to have that kind of an option, or he just might have.

And when he does go in, he should have John Clayton present for him. The same John Clayton that got mad about him not talking at the SuperB Owl. Why not? Didn't Christina Aguilera present to Eminem at the MTV music awards show? :thirishdrinkers:

drdiags

Reaction score
His start at Buffalo was an issue though. He had an okay rookie season but eventually he got relegated to 3rd string. That is going to hurt. And his final season will be a problem as well. I hope he makes it. I just don't think he will. I voted that he belongs though.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":ye8hxshd said:
Marshawn Lynch has a Hall of Fame case

The case for running back Marshawn Lynch as a Pro Football Hall of Famer is one I'll be eager to make as the Seattle-area selector.

A five-year waiting period for consideration begins when Lynch's recently announced retirement becomes official, so there is no need to draw hard conclusions. But as I pulled together initial thoughts during a return flight from the Super Bowl, here were a few points that came to mind when assessing whether Lynch has a case:

1. Lynch was a dominant force

Marshawn Lynch's postseason numbers among all-time greats

Marshawn Lynch's career numbers -- especially in the postseason -- put him in the company of some of the game's all-time great running backs.
We will not remember Lynch as a compiler of stats. He was a game-changing force. A long list of running backs have rushed more times for more yards than Lynch, but few struck fear into opposing coaches and players the way Lynch consistently did during his five-plus seasons with the Seattle Seahawks. I've watched game tape with coaches who pointed out defenders making what they called "business decisions" to avoid collisions with Lynch. The way Lynch ran, preserved by his "Beast Mode" run against the Saints in the playoffs five years ago, is what differentiates him.

Lynch's career stats are not great enough to ensure his enshrinement, but they're good enough for him to be considered seriously. He gained only 44 yards on 17 carries in his first game with Seattle. The Seahawks were playing with a makeshift lineup in their early days under Pete Carroll, against a Bears team that would finish that season (2010) ranked second in defensive expected points added. It was an ugly game in some ways, but in a conversation with former quarterback Matt Hasselbeck some years later, he recalled Lynch's performance as something special. That was the thing with Lynch. He didn't have to put up numbers to affect games.

"I thought when Marshawn showed up, he dominated from the get-go," Hasselbeck said. "That first game, we played Chicago and he didn't have a ton of yards, but they were the most impressive yards you ever saw -- a 2-yard run that should have been a 9-yard loss. It was just really helpful having that kind of guy."

2. Seattle rode Lynch to a championship

Team success can be an overrated component when evaluating players for the Hall of Fame. Quarterbacks are typically the position players most able to affect the bottom line if supported adequately. Lynch played an outsized role for a running back.

While the league has shifted toward passing to set up the run, Seattle ran its offense through Lynch, increasing his value. Lynch led the league in carries, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns across the 2011 through 2014 seasons as Seattle ran the ball 45.5 percent of the time, the NFL's highest percentage. This was part of the Seahawks' championship formula as they reached consecutive Super Bowls, winning one.

Even the best players cannot always control how many playoff opportunities they get. How they perform when they reach the postseason does carry weight. Lynch ranks third in NFL history with six 100-yard rushing games in the playoffs, behind 2016 Hall of Fame finalist Terrell Davis and 2010 enshrinee Emmitt Smith.

3. The Campbell comparison is intriguing

The numbers associated with past Hall of Famers aren't always relevant when considering current candidates. The fact that, say, Travis Henry has more rushing yards than Hall of Famer Steve Van Buren doesn't get Henry into the discussion.

I do think similarities between the stats for Lynch and Hall of Famer Earl Campbell make for an intriguing comparison based on their similarly violent running styles. Both carried more than 2,100 times for more than 9,000 yards. Both averaged 4.3 yards per carry. Both scored 74 rushing touchdowns.

The statistical similarities mean little by themselves. Thirty-three players have more career rushing yards than Campbell. Thirty-five players have more yards than Lynch. However, people who watched Campbell play and thought he belonged in the Hall could reasonably feel the same way watching Lynch. This is one case in which overlaying stats with what people witnessed could help complete the picture.

4. Lynch was a very good all-around back

Lynch was a complete player. He could take on defensive ends in pass protection. He could detach from the formation and run routes to catch passes. He was a power back with a nasty playing demeanor, but he was also light on his feet.

5. Testimonials from opponents should help Lynch's case

I've always enjoyed speaking with candidates' opponents in private to gain a better understanding for whether a player is worthy of enshrinement. These testimonials usually count more than the ones teammates provide, for obvious reasons. There will be no shortage of testimonials for Lynch, who was one of the most respected players in the league over the past few seasons.

I'll close with an example from August 2014, before Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson proved he could flourish this season without a top back. I was polling players around the league for thoughts on quarterbacks when a veteran safety explained why he wasn't ready to push Wilson into the top tier of quarterbacks at that time.

"You have to take away Marshawn Lynch first and foremost," this safety said at the time. "Once you do that, it leaves a lot of single coverage on the outside. [Wilson] is not really throwing the football with extra droppers underneath, with double coverage, having to read coverage. He pretty much knows what he is going to get because you have to take Lynch away."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14743 ... l-fame-nfl

Excellent Post!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ivotuk":lpjq84qy said:
It's all about what he did for the sport. He was revelation on the field, doing things no one had ever seen before. The power of his legs was unreal and the way he could move piles.

He changed this team, just by being himself. The defense played physical, the offense was able to things they could not have done without the threat of Lynch. Like put scrubs on the offensive line.

Opposing defenses feared him, players made "business decisions" on the field.

Opposing coaches had to game plan for him.

And EVERYBODY who looked at him honestly, loved him. He was a joy to watch, and even opposing teams stood up off the bench to watch Marshawn play.

He will be missed. And he will be talked about. In draft circles it will be 'his physical style reminds me a little bit of Marshawn Lynch."

He is iconic, everyone knows who Beast Mode is.

There were YouTube videos made about him "Roman Harper suck my pinky" It was "pinky" right? :shock:

And you really want evidence he belongs in the Hall of Fame? He tweeted his retirement during the Superbowl with an epic goodbye, and everybody is talking about it. He's in the news as much as anybody from the Superbowl!

There are stories about Marshawn on NFL.com, Sports Illustrated, ESPN/NFL, hell, probably even stories about him in business magazines. Stuff like "How did Marshawn Lynch go from successful football player to elite businessman?"

He's one for the ages, and not even Earl Campbell was as much as an icon as MoneyLynch is. Campbell played a little too early for him to have that kind of an option, or he just might have.

And when he does go in, he should have John Clayton present for him. The same John Clayton that got mad about him not talking at the SuperB Owl. Why not? Didn't Christina Aguilera present to Eminem at the MTV music awards show? :thirishdrinkers:
All that is true but there is little to no chance he makes the HoF. Shaun Alexander put up better statistics across the board and he has no chance. The only running back in this era that will make it in is Adrian Peterson deal with it and understand that running backs are a dime a dozen under the current rules. Thomas Rawls for example? Practically a Kurt Warner but easily gotten if a team gives a damn.

There are TWO positions currently that teams can seriously save money on if they run a 4-3 defense and have an above average to elite quarterback....running back and linebacker that doesn't play the middle.

The current game is all about the quarterback and the pash rush. End of story. It's why Bruce Irvin is a player the Seahawks better think about signing, he's a Justin Houston level linebacker and those aren't easily found or developed.

Tical21

Reaction score
Agreed on TO. Crying shame he didn't get in.

Again, I just might be the biggest Marshawn fan on this whole board. I think he was our best player and BY FAR our most important of this run. He's just a thousand or two short. He's not close enough to where intangibles would get him over the hump.

Tiki, Edge, Taylor all have more yards and Edge and Tiki have a considerable higher reception and receiving yards totals. Taylor has quite a higher YPC. There are just way too many guys that have more stats than Marshawn that aren't in the hall. They all have one all-pro, they all have like 4-5 pro bowls, and have won rushing titles. Heck, Shaun even won a MVP and he doesn't have a chance.

All Day and LT will get in soon, pushing him back further. To be honest guys, I don't even really think he's realistically close. Ironically, Shaun is probably his closest statistical comparison, and neither one of them is getting in anytime soon. Shaun played the same amount of years, had 25 more TD's.

Marshawn Lynch just didn't have one of the elite careers in the history of the NFL

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
He should get in just for the fact the he brought a franchise out of 35 years of irrelevancy by himself.

Are people from Seattle unhappy that their most famous football player of all time is Marshawn? Seems that way.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2gteuhwc said:
He should get in just for the fact the he brought a franchise out of 35 years of irrelevancy by himself.

Are people from Seattle unhappy that their most famous football player of all time is Marshawn? Seems that way.
Hell no, the man was born and helps the city most my blood family lives in to this day. I'm just a realist and double Capricorn. 8)

The majority of my family and living relatives are Raider fans so I am happy that the Raiders are quickly becoming relevant again and respect the hell out of Marshawn.

Seafan

Reaction score
AP may never get a SB ring. He's been kind of a goat for them in the playoffs.

AP and ML have been the dominant runners of this era and no one else is close in terms of speed and toughness.

Lynch will get in. He's the best back in franchise history and one of the others was a league MVP. Lynch's highlight real alone should get him in. He's the Earl Campbell of the 21st century. Earl never had a ring.

The only thing that could possibly stop him is that he pissed off the media.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I think he gets in, and I think it actually reminds the HOF of how voting should go. Its the Hall of FAME..not the Hall of Numbers. It used to be, and in my opinion should still be, about your impact to the game and all the intangibles that implies.
You hear people today just look at numbers and say "How is Lynn Swann in the HOF??" And its because Lynn Swann came up big when it mattered most. His career numbers are very pedestrian..but he made HUGE, memorable plays in play off games and Super Bowls.

Marshawn is borderline on pure stats. But how many big, memorable runs did he have? How many NAMED plays was he part? His effect on the game goes beyond the stats and I think he woke people up about that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":2ob9udqk said:
If only he had one more carry.

Too soon.

j/k............yes two rings instead of one certainly would help his cause.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000635054/article/is-marshawn-lynch-a-hall-of-famer[/urltargetblank]

NFL.com asks this question and at the link there are a half dozen or so of their "experts" responding. It's a pretty mixed bag.

RiverDog

Reaction score
IMO Lynch won't be compared to players like Earl Campbell that played some 25-30 years ago. He's more likely to get compared to more contemporary running backs, the most recent of which are Marshall Faulk, Jerome Bettis, and Curtis Martin. Here's how Beast's numbers stack up against those HOF running backs:

Bettis: Years played: 13. Pro Bowl selections: 6. Rushing yards:13,662. YPC: 3.9. Receptions: 200. Rec. Yards: 1,449 TD's: 94.

Faulk: Years played: 12. Pro Bowl selections: 7. Rushing yards: 12,880. YPC: 4.3. Receptions: 767. Rec. Yards: 6,875. TD's: 136.

Martin: Years played: 11. Pro Bowl selections: 5. Rushing yards: 14,101. YPC: 4.0. Receptions: 484. Rec. Yards: 3,329. TD's: 100.

Lynch: Years played: 9. Pro Bowl selections: 5. Rushing yards: 9,112. YPC: 4.2. Receptions: 252. Rec. Yards: 1,979. TD's: 74.

The biggest measureable drawback will be his longevity. There seems to be a 10-12 year threshold for all contemporary players and Lynch falls a little short. Plus like it or not, Beast's personality will be taken into consideration by some voters. I mean, what's he going to say when it's his turn to speak? Or would he snub the ceremony by not showing up? If he snubbed the POTUS, why wouldn't he snub the HOF?

Bottom line is that I do not think it likely that we'll see Beast doing a crotch grab while wearing a gold jacket.

Latest posts