POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

POLL: Does Marshawn Lynch belong in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes

Votes: 126 63.0%
  • No

Votes: 74 37.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Stats be damned . . . Marshawn is in a higher class than Edgerrin, Gore, Taylor, Dillon, Alexander, etc.

It's a close case, and one ripe for debate, thus anyone who thinks he can predict the future with certainty is fooling himself.

:th2thumbs:

crosfam

Reaction score
I'll vote yes. More yards than HOF Earl Campbell (close comparison). And two Super Bowls. Not a first ballot kind of guy, but I think he will make it. Nostalgia for "Beast Mode" will grow the legend. Especially when we see this generations RBs retiring with less yards as spread offenses and RB by committee continue to grow.

He is almost comparable to Terrell Davis- if only he got to run it in in SB49, he would have been a lock. Davis gets in in next year, I bet.

I like Alexander for the HOF too, but I doubt it.

First Priority: get Easley into the HOF via the senior committee.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CDN_C_Hawk":1g2tsm8k said:
I think another H.O.F. you can compare to is, Bettis. Even though Bettis played 4 years longer, if you look at the first 9 years of his career, they compare to Beastmode's... 4.4 yds/carry to 4.2 for Lynch, Bettis only had 58 rushing TD's and 3 rec TD's in the first 9 years, Lynch 74 rushing and 9 rec. Rushes over 50 yds, Lynch has 4 and Bettis 2.
Bettis in his last 4 years was used more as a goal line back and scored 38 of his rushing TDs in that period.

You're really reaching on minutia stats for Lynch.

I compare Lynch to Edgar Martinez................ask any teammate or opponent of either and they'll tell you that these guys were one of the best of all time at their craft.

Unfortunately like Edgar, the HOF is about stats and THEN the intangibles like rings, how they played, etc enters into the equation. Also as with Edgar in 5 years their will be a LOT of guys like Mike Rob and others who beat his drum loudly and often for the Hall. But I just don't see it, Lynch's stats just aren't good enough.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The thing is the NFL HoF is not solely based on numbers, like the MLB HoF is.

Beast Mode will be remembered for a long time... and will eventually be voted in.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":ne3sde4n said:
HawkFan72":ne3sde4n said:
Comparing him to Campbell makes me agree that he should be in there. I was on the fence, but that tipped the scales for me.

Lynch has a GREAT nickname Beastmode. He benefits from running alongside one of the best dual threat qb of all time. In his prime he benefited from zone read schemes and had the most opportunities of any back.

Earl Campbell was big (230-240lbs), mean and fast. He had huge thighs and was a shifty runner like Barry Sanders but a bruiser like Lynch without the bowlegged style. Some critics will contend that Lynch's yardage were impacted by RO gimmick schemes whereas Campbell's were not.

While the playing style of Campbell and Lynch are similar, they are from two different eras. The Hall of Fame will measure Lynch against his contemporaries, not HOFers from the past. They can't do that or they'd end up needing to invite too many players or get rid of some older ones whose stats no longer measure up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":12g1rg8a said:

Beast Mode will be remembered for a long time... and will eventually be voted in.

What modern day player hasn't been voted in based on numbers?

People keep bringing up old players who played 30-40 years ago to compare to Lynch, and that's not how it works now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd say yes.

My belief is the 'beastmode personna' is something that pro football would want to make part of their HOF. The great stories of earthquakes and unstoppable runs is something that will sell, he was unusual and special. I think he was a HOF player.

He was a throwback RB in a time of self entitled wimps. I believe he'll eventually get in, once the mediates get over their butt hurt hostility towards him.

kjreid

Reaction score
I just don't think he will make it. I was so hoping he would go two more years. that with 2,000 more yds and another ring would go along way to making the hall of fame.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3svhpydt said:
I'd say yes.

My belief is the 'beastmode personna' is something that pro football would want to make part of their HOF. The great stories of earthquakes and unstoppable runs is something that will sell, he was unusual and special. I think he was a HOF player.

He was a throwback RB in a time of self entitled wimps.

This would be the determining factor, to be honest. He has a similar stat line as Bettis (minus 4 years). The character of Beastmode, the defining runs and off kilter personality may be looked at with more affection 5 years from now.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch has a Hall of Fame case

The case for running back Marshawn Lynch as a Pro Football Hall of Famer is one I'll be eager to make as the Seattle-area selector.

A five-year waiting period for consideration begins when Lynch's recently announced retirement becomes official, so there is no need to draw hard conclusions. But as I pulled together initial thoughts during a return flight from the Super Bowl, here were a few points that came to mind when assessing whether Lynch has a case:

1. Lynch was a dominant force

Marshawn Lynch's postseason numbers among all-time greats

Marshawn Lynch's career numbers -- especially in the postseason -- put him in the company of some of the game's all-time great running backs.
We will not remember Lynch as a compiler of stats. He was a game-changing force. A long list of running backs have rushed more times for more yards than Lynch, but few struck fear into opposing coaches and players the way Lynch consistently did during his five-plus seasons with the Seattle Seahawks. I've watched game tape with coaches who pointed out defenders making what they called "business decisions" to avoid collisions with Lynch. The way Lynch ran, preserved by his "Beast Mode" run against the Saints in the playoffs five years ago, is what differentiates him.

Lynch's career stats are not great enough to ensure his enshrinement, but they're good enough for him to be considered seriously. He gained only 44 yards on 17 carries in his first game with Seattle. The Seahawks were playing with a makeshift lineup in their early days under Pete Carroll, against a Bears team that would finish that season (2010) ranked second in defensive expected points added. It was an ugly game in some ways, but in a conversation with former quarterback Matt Hasselbeck some years later, he recalled Lynch's performance as something special. That was the thing with Lynch. He didn't have to put up numbers to affect games.

"I thought when Marshawn showed up, he dominated from the get-go," Hasselbeck said. "That first game, we played Chicago and he didn't have a ton of yards, but they were the most impressive yards you ever saw -- a 2-yard run that should have been a 9-yard loss. It was just really helpful having that kind of guy."

2. Seattle rode Lynch to a championship

Team success can be an overrated component when evaluating players for the Hall of Fame. Quarterbacks are typically the position players most able to affect the bottom line if supported adequately. Lynch played an outsized role for a running back.

While the league has shifted toward passing to set up the run, Seattle ran its offense through Lynch, increasing his value. Lynch led the league in carries, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns across the 2011 through 2014 seasons as Seattle ran the ball 45.5 percent of the time, the NFL's highest percentage. This was part of the Seahawks' championship formula as they reached consecutive Super Bowls, winning one.

Even the best players cannot always control how many playoff opportunities they get. How they perform when they reach the postseason does carry weight. Lynch ranks third in NFL history with six 100-yard rushing games in the playoffs, behind 2016 Hall of Fame finalist Terrell Davis and 2010 enshrinee Emmitt Smith.

3. The Campbell comparison is intriguing

The numbers associated with past Hall of Famers aren't always relevant when considering current candidates. The fact that, say, Travis Henry has more rushing yards than Hall of Famer Steve Van Buren doesn't get Henry into the discussion.

I do think similarities between the stats for Lynch and Hall of Famer Earl Campbell make for an intriguing comparison based on their similarly violent running styles. Both carried more than 2,100 times for more than 9,000 yards. Both averaged 4.3 yards per carry. Both scored 74 rushing touchdowns.

The statistical similarities mean little by themselves. Thirty-three players have more career rushing yards than Campbell. Thirty-five players have more yards than Lynch. However, people who watched Campbell play and thought he belonged in the Hall could reasonably feel the same way watching Lynch. This is one case in which overlaying stats with what people witnessed could help complete the picture.

4. Lynch was a very good all-around back

Lynch was a complete player. He could take on defensive ends in pass protection. He could detach from the formation and run routes to catch passes. He was a power back with a nasty playing demeanor, but he was also light on his feet.

5. Testimonials from opponents should help Lynch's case

I've always enjoyed speaking with candidates' opponents in private to gain a better understanding for whether a player is worthy of enshrinement. These testimonials usually count more than the ones teammates provide, for obvious reasons. There will be no shortage of testimonials for Lynch, who was one of the most respected players in the league over the past few seasons.

I'll close with an example from August 2014, before Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson proved he could flourish this season without a top back. I was polling players around the league for thoughts on quarterbacks when a veteran safety explained why he wasn't ready to push Wilson into the top tier of quarterbacks at that time.

"You have to take away Marshawn Lynch first and foremost," this safety said at the time. "Once you do that, it leaves a lot of single coverage on the outside. [Wilson] is not really throwing the football with extra droppers underneath, with double coverage, having to read coverage. He pretty much knows what he is going to get because you have to take Lynch away."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14743 ... l-fame-nfl

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Tical21":2tu0y9hh said:
Uncle Si":2tu0y9hh said:
Hall of Fame is funny.

He won't be judged against RBs of the past, but of his era (last 15-20 years). In that, you would include an Emmit Smith (all time yardage leader), Tomlinson (TD record), AP (2000 yard season, single game record), Faulk, Terrel Davis (2000 yard season), Alexander (TD record, MVP, 5 TD game). How do his stats compare there? They also like those "seminal" athletes... ones who had an impact on the game beyond stats. What does Lynch bring? Statistically he is consistently in the top 1-3 in his prime. But his epic runs are still a part of any playoff our RB highlight reel.

I don't think these comparisons give Lynch a good shot. (once researched). It will come down to his impact on the game while he played it. Not sure its enough in comparison.

Lynch: 9000 yards, 74 TDS, 250 receptions, 1900 yards, 9 TDs
Davis: 16500, 60Tds, 169 receptions, 1300 yards, 5 TDs
Smith: 18000 yards, 164 TDs, 515 receptions, 3200 yards, 11 TDs
Tomlinson: 13000 yards, 145 TDs, 624 receptions, 4800 yards, 17 TDs
Yes, Si is on the right track. Lynch is near the back of a long line of RB's on the outside looking in, almost all of whom have better numbers than he does. Edgerrin, Gore, Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Watters, Tiki Barber etc., all have better numbers than Marshawn, and I'd probably argue that none of them are HOF worthy. It has been a long, long time since somebody with Marshawn Lynch numbers got in the HOF. Hall of Very Good and Ring of Honor? Definitely.

I'm also of the ilk that the football HOF lets in way too many people as it is. There's going to be hundreds of people in he HOF soon. It's a little ridiculous. Baseball has it right. Jerome Bettis is not one of the best players ever to play the game. Sadly, either is Marshawn Lynch, and I don't think you're going to find a bigger Lynch fan around here than me.

I love Marshawn Lynch, but there is no way that he's going to get voted in by the sportswriters.

A player will get voted in either because his stats can't be denied, and if his stats don't compare favorably then its what the sportswriters have beared witness to with their own eyes - not what the player's home fanbase recollection is.

Unfortunately for Marshawn he will be fighting a huge uphill battle then because he would be relying on the sportswriters' support more than a guy who has huge or borderline stats - and he didn't make many friends in the media (although you would think that the intellectually savvy writers would see Marshawn's antics as being incredible for their own business and as marketing genius). Marshawn's stats aren't even borderline...people who are trying to compare them to Earl Campbell's stats are stretching big time even there, and his stats are probably the minimum threshhold.

And it isn't just his antics and lack of cooperation with the media - Marshawn also had some off-field issues that don't help his image, and even now in the minds of some he carries a thug image which to many of the home fanbase is clearly known as unfair, but is the perceived reality outside of the Pacific Northwest.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Call me a Homer J Simpson but I say YES! Bettis is in, so this should be a no brainer, but you have butthurt sportswriters that are still pissed that Beastmode didn't do their job for them.

Will he get in? I don't know, maybe with time.

253hawk

Reaction score
Not sure he's HOF-worthy, but this is a pretty incredible stat:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/697083205246193664[/tweet]

That's roughly 3/5 of his career yards.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":328eics0 said:
Hall of Fame is funny.

He won't be judged against RBs of the past, but of his era (last 15-20 years). In that, you would include an Emmit Smith (all time yardage leader), Tomlinson (TD record), AP (2000 yard season, single game record), Faulk, Terrel Davis (2000 yard season), Alexander (TD record, MVP, 5 TD game). How do his stats compare there? They also like those "seminal" athletes... ones who had an impact on the game beyond stats. What does Lynch bring? Statistically he is consistently in the top 1-3 in his prime. But his epic runs are still a part of any playoff our RB highlight reel.

I don't think these comparisons give Lynch a good shot. (once researched). It will come down to his impact on the game while he played it. Not sure its enough in comparison.

Lynch: 9000 yards, 74 TDS, 250 receptions, 1900 yards, 9 TDs
Davis: 16500, 60Tds, 169 receptions, 1300 yards, 5 TDs
Smith: 18000 yards, 164 TDs, 515 receptions, 3200 yards, 11 TDs
Tomlinson: 13000 yards, 145 TDs, 624 receptions, 4800 yards, 17 TDs
You got Davis stats wrong ,they are close to Lynch..Real close @9,000 total yards

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Bettis got in so Beast deserves to be in period.There are others in whos stats are not as good..

IndyHawk

Reaction score
crosfam":3e0h5r2u said:
I'll vote yes. More yards than HOF Earl Campbell (close comparison). And two Super Bowls. Not a first ballot kind of guy, but I think he will make it. Nostalgia for "Beast Mode" will grow the legend. Especially when we see this generations RBs retiring with less yards as spread offenses and RB by committee continue to grow.

He is almost comparable to Terrell Davis- if only he got to run it in in SB49, he would have been a lock. Davis gets in in next year, I bet.

I like Alexander for the HOF too, but I doubt it.

First Priority: get Easley into the HOF via the senior committee.
Earl Campbell needed to cheat(wore tear away jerseys)did you ever see Beasts rip off so he could gain more yards?Nope he just threw people aside or ran over them.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sando: Marshawn Lynch has a worthy case for Hall of Fame

We will not remember Lynch as a compiler of stats. He was a game-changing force. A long list of running backs have rushed more times for more yards than Lynch, but few struck fear into opposing coaches and players the way Lynch consistently did during his five-plus seasons with the Seattle Seahawks.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14743 ... l-fame-nfl

Sac

Reaction score
kf3339":14b6dkyd said:
The problem is the game has changed and the RB position has been minimized in favor of the passing attacks of today.

So the numbers that backs today get don't quite add up to many of the great Hall of Fame RB's from the past.

With a slightly different inflection, this could actually be made to make the case for his enshrinment.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1tqcg6rh said:
onanygivensunday":1tqcg6rh said:

What modern day player hasn't been voted in based on numbers?

People keep bringing up old players who played 30-40 years ago to compare to Lynch, and that's not how it works now.

Based on numbers alone, there is absolutely no reason why TO was not a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. He will likely be in next year, but based on numbers alone, he should be in this new class.

Latest posts