Poll: Can Hawks Reach&Win Super Bowl w/o effective run game?

Can this Seahawks team both reach and win the Super Bowl without an effective running game?

• Yes, absolutely. No doubt in my mind.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • It could happen, but I have serious doubts

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No way.

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1tzriprq said:
If they somehow get Procise back for the playoffs, along w/Rawls? That's a heck of a backfield.
Getting Marcell Reece on track and looking good during the next two games would bode well too. Recce may have the better chance of getting into a groove at this stage than what Procise does, in the same role.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2zagboga said:
SoulfishHawk":2zagboga said:
If they somehow get Procise back for the playoffs, along w/Rawls? That's a heck of a backfield.
Getting Marcell Reece on track and looking good during the next two games would bode well too. Recce may have the better chance of getting into a groove at this stage than what Procise does, in the same role.

Reece is a 250 lb FB, not a complete RB like Prosise or Rawls, etc.

He can certainly carry the ball, but he's not going to give you 10-20 carries a game and be effective. But he has shown he's a good out of the backfield/route runner.

So Prosise would be a much better option if we can get him back and taking some of the load off Rawls down the stretch.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1qadyf8y said:
LeftHandSmoke":1qadyf8y said:
SoulfishHawk":1qadyf8y said:

He can certainly carry the ball, but he's not going to give you 10-20 carries a game and be effective. But he has shown he's a good out of the backfield/route runner.

So Prosise would be a much better option if we can get him back and taking some of the load off Rawls down the stretch.
Isn't this where Procise was being used most?

Weight-wise, PC has said that Reece is lighter now and the roster has him listed at 235.
http://www.seahawks.com/team/players/ro ... rcel-reece

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1k4m5kft said:
Sgt. Largent":1k4m5kft said:
LeftHandSmoke":1k4m5kft said:
SoulfishHawk":1k4m5kft said:

Isn't this where Procise was being used most?

Weight-wise, PC has said that Reece is lighter now and the roster has him listed at 235.
http://www.seahawks.com/team/players/ro ... rcel-reece

I took your comment of "getting into a groove" as being an every down type back like Rawls and Prosise..........and that's not how he's used. He's more of a fullback type back that can catch the ball and run routes.

So more 3rd and short, goalline and split out pass catching. Or of course lead blocking.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I don't see anyone mentioning the threat of Wilson running again, although not 100% but enough to still be dangerous. I think we will end up using more of the read option during the playoffs. If Wilson is scrambling for 6-8 seconds, that is going to help tired out the defense. Which in our case Rawls can start looking like a stud by the 2nd half of the game after he helps pound that defense in the 1st half.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":ngl8ux8s said:
I don't see anyone mentioning the threat of Wilson running again, although not 100% but enough to still be dangerous. I think we will end up using more of the read option during the playoffs. If Wilson is scrambling for 6-8 seconds, that is going to help tired out the defense. Which in our case Rawls can start looking like a stud by the 2nd half of the game after he helps pound that defense in the 1st half.

Wilson is healthy enough for teams to respect the read option again, but that's about it.

He's nowhere near his usual quickness and speed that we're used to. So I can't count on him to help out too much in the run game, other than the occasional scramble for a first down 2-3 times a game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mistaowen":2ed3z8qh said:
Seahawkfan80":2ed3z8qh said:
What 3 defenses do you think could hamper our play in the playoffs? Just curious. I think Green Bay was decent but not overwhelming.

Thanks for the input.

Giants defense is good. Packers defense would realistically have to play in Seattle if it came to that and I think Russ doesn't miss 2-3 easy TDs.

That's exactly what he did last time we played them.

Largent80":2ed3z8qh said:
Week to week it appears that the Seahawks are facing the best defensive front in the league.

We all know that 16 teams are not the best in the league, so at some point, fingers need to be pointed in the O-Lines direction.

Seattle has faced a brutal row of defensive lines this entire season. Miami, St. Louis twice, the Jets, Arizona, Buffalo, Philly, Tampa...teams are figuring out that just blindly stocking up on DL talent is a nice, cheap way to stay in contention. And it's worth mentioning that our OL actually did fairly well against some of those teams (like the Jets and the Eagles). They just need to get consistent.

As far as the OP's question...it's hard to tell. Russell Wilson has had only one postseason to show us what he can do carrying the offense in Bevell's new quick-passing scheme. He bombed that postseason by throwing picks against Carolina. If he can revert back to smart, improvising Wilson in the next few weeks, who knows what might happen?

Ozzy

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he bombed. He got hit as he let go of one and the receiver ran the wrong route on the other one. He played extremely well in the 2nd half of that game as well moving up and down the field at will. But I do agree the ceiling is high if he can get healthy and revert back to what we saw previously with him. I think we do see that come to fruition.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":xl6gatrd said:
Run stats for left, middle, right

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffRatcliff ... 8273485828

Hawks are better running to the right, by far.

Very interesting. I'd say that's testament to the fact that if Ifedi, Gilliam/Sowell actually get their hands on a defender, they aren't doing too bad.

mrblitz":xl6gatrd said:
i think that the zone blocking thing is too complex, and for the past 2 or 3 years, they haven't even assembled the correct personnel to run that.

if memory serves, last year, they briefly went to a 'straight-ahead, power-running game' and that was where rawls got his 200-yard game.

given the raw talent of our o-linemen, they need to dump the zone blocking thing, and just tell everyone to 'put a hat on a hat, and push'. they'll be fine if they do that.

I dunno. While I think that line of thinking has some merit ... at this point in the season I kind of feel like you've got to dance with the girl you brought to the prom. It sounds nice in theory ... but in the end, I think that it's probably too late in the season for those kind of changes (and Cable and the coaching staff wouldn't probably do it anyway).

Largent80

Reaction score
^ But yet here we are with the merry go round at RT. Gilliam back in. Juggling RT all the way up until the playoffs. Highly unorthodox and not desirable. I would like to see Rees, compete for that RT spot next spring. He has a year in the system and Gilliam and Sowell are likely gone.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
As I find myself contemplating this subject today, I find myself wondering -- what exactly does improvement (for the Offensive Linemen) look like at this point in the season anyway? I mean, we all acknowledge that guys CAN improve ... but how does that actually look? Is that more about film study than anything at this point (seeing how D-Lineman like Aaron Donald consistently defeat blocks)? Is that more about reps in practice and working on run blocking focusing on good technique? Probably a combo of both in all reality.

Here's one thought that's running through my mind -- what about bringing in consultants (ex-players who have been through the gauntlet and can show these young pups some of the tricks of the trade)? I'm just remembering back to a couple of years ago when Doug Baldwin reached out to Steve Largent ... and he shared with him a few of his tricks. Boom! Baldwin's level of play really exploded after that. I'm sure they're already doing that occasionally, but IMO bringing in an ex-superstar lineman or two (and having them work intensely with this crew to supplement what the coaching staff is already doing) might pay off big time (just like it did with Largent and Baldwin). Just a thought.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Largent80":2z01mymm said:
^ But yet here we are with the merry go round at RT. Gilliam back in. Juggling RT all the way up until the playoffs. Highly unorthodox and not desirable. I would like to see Rees, compete for that RT spot next spring. He has a year in the system and Gilliam and Sowell are likely gone.

Agreed. I'd like to see that as well. I know this -- all this weekly switching linemen in and out goes against everything I've ever learned about how to create a good, functional offensive line. If we're going to be going this revolving door route anyway, might as well throw Rees in that mix as well and see what the kid can do. Neither Gilliam nor Sowell have shown much up to this point as RT's, so might as well give that a shot.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's possible, but again, this team is more about RW than any other part. Everyone wanted this to be Wilson's team and now it is. The problem is that he hasn't put up 3 consistent games in a row this year and that's what it will take to get that ring. What we're talking about is likely doing the same BS and expecting a different result. It's possible, but I doubt it. The team is now just too dependant on the QB.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Largent80":1qpsru8w said:
True but it's nice that we don't have even worse problems. (3) means third-string:

https://mobile.twitter.com/hawkblogger/ ... 3589658624

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Im just hoping Procise comes back, plays well and stays healthy. 1-2 punch with Rawls.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Hell anything can happen, its professional football, that's what makes this crazy game so damn addictive. Everyone acts like because we got our asses spanked hard by Green Bay and Tampa Bay on the road this year that suddenly they are big threats or any team with any kind of decent offense and defense are a big threats.

All teams are big threats, and all of these same teams could be cannon fodder for the Seahawks on a day where they are clicking along on all eight. There isn't a team out there that the Seahawks couldn't beat if it's our day and there isn't a team out there that couldn't kick our butts if they are having a good day.

The Seahawks are a good team, a damn good team, loaded with all kinds of great talents, rookies and seasoned vets included. There is absolutely not one good reason we couldn't run this thing all the way through to another Super Bowl title.

Here is my take on things and I'm sure some will scoff and that's okay. I've been watching the Seahawks play for 40 seasons now and the one thing that has remained a constant through all those years, is the spirit of the 12th man and its impact on this team. When we believe in them, they believe in themselves and will literally die for us on the field trying to win. If we doubt, or lose faith in them, they doubt and lose faith in themselves and it shows up on the field.

I do believe in every-man on the Seahawk roster and it's coaches. We have all the gifts and talents there to beat any team in the NFL any day of the week. When the Seahawks heads are right and they are on their game, get out of their way, because they are going to roll right over the top of you.

That is the only real problem I've seen with the Seahawks this season. Their Defense has played excellent for the majority of the season. The Offense has been where the greatest struggles have existed, and if you go back and watch all of the games we have played, it's not been that the players didn't perform well, given the young guns on the line, they have all grown tremendously in the execution of their roles. There has been this nagging self doubt and hesitation in execution of their plays that have plagued them all season long.

The offense has done better at home, because the spirit of the 12 has been alive and well to motivate them and they have been able to lean on that spirit to up their self confidence some. In my mind it's just a small matter of renewed self confidence in each and every one of the players, they need to trust and believe in themselves individually and collectively, and a healthy 12th man spirit can do a lot to feed that need in them.

Russell has driven me crazy and I'm sure has driven his teammates crazy at times this year, with his hesitation to execute and apparent self doubt. A quarterbacks ego is a fragile thing and a little negative goes a long ways, a little positive doesn't go nearly far enough.

With a healthy 12th man at their backs, I think we will see a Russell Wilson who finds renewed trust and confidence in himself, and renewed trust and confidence in his teammates, to be behind him every step of the way. If that all comes together for them now, at this stage of season, we are going all the way to Super Bowl and win it this year.

There needs to be a NO DOUBT mindset in the minds, hearts and souls of the 12th man. We need to let these players know, that under no uncertain terms, that we believe in each and everyone of them and their ability to take this thing all they way. If you don't think you can get behind them, then at very least get the hell out of the way and stop piling all your negativity and doubt on their doorstep, they are battling enough of that as it is.

As 12th Men, we need to truly adopt a NO DOUBT mind set from here on out, and let these guys know, we believe in them, absolutely, and that they can trust us to be there for them, to the very last play of the season.

I'm a poor ass working stiff, who barely makes enough to make ends meet, but I'm buying division playoff tickets this season, for myself and my best friend in life, my wife of 35 years, because we trust our Seahawks are going to be there, and are going to win it.

I'd literally give my left nut for tickets to the Super Bowl, and be there live to see them win it this year. They will win it, but not so likely that we'll be there, my left nut is way over priced lol, so I'm not likely going to find any takers on that proposal, but you have to admit, that's true dedication ha ha.

What you can do, is rest assured, that on Super Bowl Sunday, I'll be cheering at the top of my lungs, from home, standing in front of my television set, from the kickoff to the final play, believing in them every step of the way.

If I sound like one of those damn crazy Seahawk fans, it's because I am. They have filled my life with a lot of great times and great memories the past 40 years, and I will continue to be a Crazy 12th Man, for long as I live, I suppose.

Go Seahawks !

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":18rd2tta said:
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Good thoughts overall. I have a slightly different question that I'd love to get some thoughts on, and that's this ...

With the time remaining this season, can Seattle's run game improve to the point of being NFL average?"

That's an interesting question and it all depends on how you look at it. According to Football Outsiders, they have the Seahawks run game ranked #18 in terms of DVOA (admittedly DVOA is far from a perfect measuring rod), so if you accept their opinion, Seattle is virtually there. As it stands right now, Seattle's run game is averaging 3.5 yards/carry. Can they improve to the point where they're consistently giving more like 4.0 yards/carry? Given the inexperience of this O-Line, is that too high of a mountain to scale though in too short an amount of time? Personally, I think if they make it a real intense point of emphasis, I wonder if it might not be possible. And if that happens, I would add this -- if this Seahawks team can get back to generating just average NFL production ... then this team most certainly is a serious Super Bowl title contender. Thoughts?

This is a tale of two seasons. DVOA takes into account the entire season. We were terrible at the beginning of the season, but when Rawls came back we were noticeably better. So with Rawls we could have an NFL average run game.

I should also restate myself a little bit. I said we wouldn't have a dominant or good run game which is true, but it's a bit facile to state we're going to have to rely solely on our passing game.

We can establish a good passing game if Wilson is accurate. Graham can be dangerous in the short, intermediate and deep game. The same can be said of both Baldwin and Lockett. Baldwin and Lockett can also challenge the defense both vertically and horizontally. You can get that DL running side to side...especially if you can get blocks on the outside, which we can with both Graham and Willson who are both athletic enough to beat LBers to the outside for screens, yet agile enough to catch DB's and pummel them. It also gives us formations where we can disguise looks and give variety.

Once we hit a few screens, hit a few seams and maybe a deep ball, the defense softens up a bit then you can hit them with the run. If folks can remember, Holmgren did this to great effect before we had a dominant OL; using the pass to set up the run. Also look at last year's faster rhythm passing game that included more short passes that were like longer hand offs.

Latest posts