Playoff seeding NFL vs NBA

el capitan

Reaction score
AZ_fan":1xn5iies said:
Ambrose83":1xn5iies said:
they need to keep it as is, but with a twist.... win the div still gets you in, but it should be by record who gets the home games.... for ex, if we play the skins... we should have the home game with the better record (10-6 hopefully) vs 9-7.

Marvin49":1xn5iies said:
I think division winners should get a playoff spot regardless of record, but I think they should be seeded by record.

It's kinda BS when a 10 or 11 win team has to go play an 8-8 or 7-9 team in their house.

Sorry guys I just can't agree. Seattle won their division at 7-9 and the 11-5 WC Saints had to come here in 2010. I didn't have a problem with it and neither did the Seattle fans.

They won their division... over the 7-9 Rams due to a better divisional record while the 10-6 Giants and Bucs missed the playoffs.

It's fine the way it is otherwise there isn't much point to having divisions IMHO.

Just being in the playoffs is reward enough for an average team that wins a mediocre division.

As great as the Beastquake game was for Seahawks fans the fact is a week later we were totally out matched vs the Bears whereas the Saints could have probably given them a good game. Surely the ultimate goal should be to make the playoffs exciting and a 7-9 or 8-8 division winner vs the no.1 seed in the divisional round is seldom going to produce a game worth watching.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The NFL already has the best playoff situation out of the major sports.

Every game matters, every division gets to send its winner, the 2 best non-division-winners still get to go, and the playoffs are super exciting and don't drag on too long.

Not broken, fix not needed.

themunn

Reaction score
Since no two teams play the exact same schedules, this way works for me.

Yeah, we have a better record than Washington (who we can say also played an easier schedule based on W-L records, but again, none of our opponents played the same teams, it could all be a misnomer), but they played NFC East x 2, NFC South and AFC East - we played NFC West x 2, NFC North and AFC North - there's almost no way to compare our records legitimately - we only had 2 common opponents, the Rams and the Cowboys - they went 2-1 in those games and we went 1-2.

As it stands, this is by far the best and most fair way of distributing playoff places.

sutz

Reaction score
It actually ain't broke. Don't fix it. Play your schedule. Win the games you need to. Win your division.

Easy-peasy.

Quit whining.

253hawk

Reaction score
It's fine the way it is. It only seems 'broken' because there's so few games played compared to other sports. There's 267 total games; baseball plays that many every 3 weeks.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
One point often overlooked which a poster above alluded to is schedules. This right now is one of the few mechanisms to combat divisions that are non-competitive if say two teams are absolute trash. Because division opponents play x2 it can push up records (a 2 win swing is quite a bit) that otherwise wouldn't be as impressive if they had tougher opponents.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The only thing I would like to see changed in the playoffs is adding a 7th team per conference. It would add two games and only the #1 seeds would have a bye.

And quit making the West coast teams play 10am games in the playoffs. All the beer advertisers will be happier and continue to give the NFL lots and lots of money. Plus, they'll sell more of their product across the country which will make them want to give the NFL even MORE advertising money. 10am beer drinking sucks. The coffee ain't even cold yet.

Latest posts