Players "PRODUCTION"

Chawker

Reaction score
I know a player has to be a great Athlete, but he has to have good production. So many are making there selection off of the "underwear Olympics" and not looking at a players production.

A great player will show highly in both. Who cares if a guy run a sub 4.5 at 280 pounds, Can he make plays that effect the outcome of a game on a regular basis.

If given the choice between a great football player and a great athlete, I'll take the football player 7 days a week.

Cheers

sutz

Reaction score
Probably best way to look at it. Need a balance with promise in both. For a few years there, they got too hyped up on SPARQ scores and the draft suffered for it. "Great athletes" with low production should be later round prospects, not high first rounders.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I know a player has to be a great Athlete, but he has to have good production. So many are making there selection off of the "underwear Olympics" and not looking at a players production.

A great player will show highly in both. Who cares if a guy run a sub 4.5 at 280 pounds, Can he make plays that effect the outcome of a game on a regular basis.

If given the choice between a great football player and a great athlete, I'll take the football player 7 days a week.

Cheers
It depends on draft position. I don’t mind taking a chance on a good athlete from a lesser known college in the 5th round. Sometimes, all they need is better coaching to develop into something.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I'm all about how they play... the numbers are pretty icicles hanging from the window sill, but there are too many times when you see athletes drafted (Jabrill Peppers, Vernon Gholston) and never meet their draft status, and others who are just good football players, who carve out strong careers (Lofa Tatupu, Wes Welker, London Fletcher). I know it's easy to cherry-pick... but the proof is in the pudding --- players who produce are players I want.

I like Bear-Hawk's take on draft position, as well. It's easy to take a chance on an "athlete" in the mid to late rounds. Coaching does matter.