Playcalling needs to be addressed.

Mase

Reaction score
-- You guys realize the other team has players and coaches as well, right? They see things, they adapt to things. I have actually been impressed with some of our early scripted play calling. It's been creative and often seems to catch the other team off guard, and that is credit to the game plan. However, the next punch is always the harder one. Now they see what you want to do, and make their adjustments off of it. Now your turn to adjust, and yesterday you are doing it against one of the best defenses in the league. It just sounds so dumb "I liked our first quarter play calling but after that it sucked." The OC didn't just "doze off" as suggested, the defense just started to figure some things out and make some plays. I guess you could say the Cleveland play caller sucked the second half as well, but I would rather give some credit to our defense. But that's just me.

-- Your in game adjustments are always going to be somewhat limited with Geno as the QB. I admit, he shocked me last year, but I posed the question then, is how he played last year his ceiling? Even though he was older, could he "build" off that success. Honestly, I think the answer is no. That was his ceiling, and he is playing right at that ceiling again this year. He has some limitations that he is never going to shake at this point. And we can win with that, but at times it will be ugly, with serious offensive power outages.

-- I will agree, I want to run the ball more, but teams seem committed to preventing that. They also understand Geno's limitations, so they are trying to coerce us into throwing the ball more, i.e. heavy boxes. K9 and Fine Wine are a wicked two punch combo, and good defenses are going to take that away.

Mase

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Their corners were impressive on several plays for sure. That looked like a very well coached team to me. Big win against a damn good team.
Definitely a mutual respect there in similar philosophies, well, PC's 2011-2013 philosophy anyway ha, PC has modernized his a touch and has a different type of roster now.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
idk, PLAY calling seemed to be fine.. execution on the other hand is questionable. What I saw was Geno, just glaring at his intended receiver, it was just so obvious who he's targeting, even if he looks away for a moment whilst still having the intention of throwing to him, would be enough to give the play a better chance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I honestly don't see a lack of creativity with the playcalling when the offense is struggling. I see a lack of execution.

- Guys are open and Geno's missing them or not seeing them
- O-line is struggling to run and pass block
- Receivers are running sloppy routes

I do think Waldron could do a better job of in game adjustments, seems to take too long for him to change things up. But he's very creating with his formations and motion, should be more than enough to jumpstart some series.

I also would like to see them go up tempo when the offense is struggling. I used to complain about this with Russ. When you're struggling, go up tempo. Sometimes that helps get the offense and more important Geno back in rhythm.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geno should go get a lottery ticket. That dropped pick 6 was an easy walk in and likely game.....

He's also lucky the DB didn't turn around and pick the ball to DK in the endzone the play before the winning TD.

For all that Geno does well, too many risky throws in the red zone. You just can't give up sure points and take these sorts of risks.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I honestly don't see a lack of creativity with the playcalling when the offense is struggling. I see a lack of execution.

- Guys are open and Geno's missing them or not seeing them
- O-line is struggling to run and pass block
- Receivers are running sloppy routes

I do think Waldron could do a better job of in game adjustments, seems to take too long for him to change things up. But he's very creating with his formations and motion, should be more than enough to jumpstart some series.

I also would like to see them go up tempo when the offense is struggling. I used to complain about this with Russ. When you're struggling, go up tempo. Sometimes that helps get the offense and more important Geno back in rhythm.
I couldn't agree more; I was yelling at the TV yesterday for them to do exactly that.
The first few Scripted plays are usually set up with a quick flow, and yesterday, when the clock was winding down the Offense got into a hurry the hell up, and voila it actually worked.
It also helped that Geno didn't have time to be wishy-washy LOLOLOL

DJrmb

Reaction score
And a bad backup QB, yes we won, we dodged a serious bullet
You mean the same QB/team combo that beat the 9ers?

They beat a good team, no matter how ugly the win was. Give the team some credit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This was another week of the boilerplate gameplan that they trot out every once in a while. Shows up often against AFC teams because they aren't as weighty in tiebreakers.

Fade

Reaction score
-- You guys realize the other team has players and coaches as well, right? They see things, they adapt to things. I have actually been impressed with some of our early scripted play calling. It's been creative and often seems to catch the other team off guard, and that is credit to the game plan. However, the next punch is always the harder one. Now they see what you want to do, and make their adjustments off of it. Now your turn to adjust, and yesterday you are doing it against one of the best defenses in the league. It just sounds so dumb "I liked our first quarter play calling but after that it sucked." The OC didn't just "doze off" as suggested, the defense just started to figure some things out and make some plays. I guess you could say the Cleveland play caller sucked the second half as well, but I would rather give some credit to our defense. But that's just me.

-- Your in game adjustments are always going to be somewhat limited with Geno as the QB. I admit, he shocked me last year, but I posed the question then, is how he played last year his ceiling? Even though he was older, could he "build" off that success. Honestly, I think the answer is no. That was his ceiling, and he is playing right at that ceiling again this year. He has some limitations that he is never going to shake at this point. And we can win with that, but at times it will be ugly, with serious offensive power outages.

-- I will agree, I want to run the ball more, but teams seem committed to preventing that. They also understand Geno's limitations, so they are trying to coerce us into throwing the ball more, i.e. heavy boxes. K9 and Fine Wine are a wicked two punch combo, and good defenses are going to take that away.

Mase

Yay! Someone who knows football. Post more please!

My logic was he could build off last season due to more weapons at his disposal and his 2nd year fully starting with the team. They left a lot of meat on the bone in the red zone in particular last year. So I thought their could be SOME improvement at the very least. And overall he had a statistically great season.

He has been the most disappointing player on the team. Like you said, they are stacking the box. And in the Rams offensive system they call 2 plays, a run and a pass. And based on the look they get, they go with the more optimal one.

Teams are daring Geno to throw, and the Seahawks need to go back to Pete Ball as the counter.

Geno is great with the opening script as you point out. Something he can rehearse leading up to the game. Waldron is putting together great plans. After that opening script runs out, Geno's head is swimming, he can't process what he is seeing, and becomes a jumbled mess.

Blaming Waldron for what is happening out there is extremely odd.

My only 3 critiques for Waldron on the season so far would be to get JSN involved down the field more, not just WR screens. Don't forget about the TEs. And run the ball more loaded box be damned, which is obvious to everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
My only 3 critiques for Waldron on the season so far would be to get JSN involved down the field more, not just WR screens. Don't forget about the TEs. And run the ball more loaded box be damned, which is obvious to everyone.
I believe this is mostly what I said about the playcalling in the OP?

"We needed more running. We needed more balanced running (although Charbs got some plays today). We needed more TE sets. We needed more close and underneath game.

We needed less throws outside the numbers up the field."

With Geno's timing difficulties - whether that's scrambled eggs upstairs, or a lack of protection - I would respectfully disagree with the use of JSN on long developing routes. It's the same reason that I hate DK sucking up all the attempts on longer stuff. I don't hate DK for it - it's just we don't have the protection/time/acumen FOR it.

Until the Oline and Geno prove to me that he has both the time in the pocket and acumen to run a long game - I'd like JSN to be used in the close and underneath game. Granted - WR screens are a good use of him, 'cause it's quick, IMO hard to defend unless you're running it like every play - and for a YAC friendly receiver (aka: not lockett) there's the potential for lots of quick yards. Basically a modified TE shovel pass typa thing clock wise.

I believe that the problem is rooted in pocket time. I further believe that it's Waldron's job to scheme around our deficiencies, and FORCE a quicker, closer poppier game on Geno and the O. That ain't Geno, and it's not DK running 100m sprint. That's a team covering for a member's weakness - which is my definition of 'team' anyhow. When Geno doesn't have time - he gets confused - and I'll concede that for sure but Waldron's job is to fix it and work around it.

IMO.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Okay, Honesty?? Geno pulled off a "Come-From-Behind-W-I-N", is THAT enough "honesty" for you and the other Geno Bashers??
He sucked for most of the game and also his come-from-behind win very nearly had a pick six at the end where it was sheer luck that the defender dropped it. Being a member of reality is preferable to stubbornly ignoring it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
THIS ^
It's shocking how so many people just conveniently ignore the SEVERAL dropped interceptions this guy has had. And some legit Pick-6 drops that the defender had no right dropping. Glad defenders often can't catch a cold. That one on Sunday was a walk in, he could have jogged to the end zone.
When he is on, he's damn good. We just need good Geno back and this team can do some damage.