Playcalling needs to be addressed.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Still hot off the win - emotions are high -

But I think that the playcalling needs to be addressed. Waldron can't seem to call much right, situationally or otherwise for large chunks of the game after the opening script is done.

We needed more running. We needed more balanced running (although Charbs got some plays today). We needed more TE sets. We needed more close and underneath game.

We needed less throws outside the numbers up the field.

IMO.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Yeah the playcalling was terrible. Has been pretty much all season. On the last drive they had a good balance and even an outstanding play on the JSN TD. It's like Waldron is snoozing until the last chance.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I’m very surprised by the lack of a running game. I’m too lazy to look now, but we’ve got to be one of the last in attempts.

The lack of rushing attempts really baffle me. In addition to this, we went out and spent two high draft picks on RBs, yet we never use them. It’s really a weird incongruence between what Pete says he wants and what is happening on the field.

Our rushing attempts also have been very successful, it’s baffling. Outside of our initial scripted plays, our offense is straight up trash.

These tendencies in our offense confuse me, as McVay has an extremely creative rushing attack and he makes it a point of emphasis.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If Geno doesn't throw a pick in the red zone you potentially score 30 points on the NUMBER ONE defense in the league statistically (as it is you scored 24 on that defense)... All that on top of some absolutely terrible officials killing drives and extending the opposing teams drives taking away TOP from the offense. I don't understand what your beef is with the OC.

djb28

Reaction score
Script the whole game, why not? They do not make adjustments anyway. FOllow the script.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If Geno doesn't throw a pick in the red zone you potentially score 30 points on the NUMBER ONE defense in the league statistically (as it is you scored 24 on that defense)... All that on top of some absolutely terrible officials killing drives and extending the opposing teams drives taking away TOP from the offense. I don't understand what your beef is with the OC.
Separate from the coulda/shouldas -

Separate from blaming the refs - and they were garbage.

I think I was pretty clear. I loved Waldron for the first 1/2 of last season. I loved his philosophy. I loved the "With our TE groupings, you're not going to be able to tell by formation whether we are in run or pass." I LOVED that.

Today and the past 3 games have not BEEN that. We turtle up and just go back to 1/2 moonballs too much.

More disciplined close and run game, grinding the clock, and owning time of possession was what we were the first 1/2 of last season.

This was nice to have won, but we can't continue to force a square peg into a round hole on this stuff forever.

We won despite the playcalling today, not because of it, IMO.

knownone

Reaction score
The play calling seemed fine. You need opportunities to get into a rhythm, and Cleveland bottled us up. The offense rarely touched the ball in the second half.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
I say we run our 2min offense once every quarter. We seem to be better when we're aggressive.

DJrmb

Reaction score
You've got to separate play calling from execution by the players. It's not as if Geno was holding onto the ball forever and forced to take sacks because there was nothing there... There was open guys consistently. Go back and look at the all 22 if you don't believe me. Geno simply missed guys many times with bad throws. And not to put it all on Geno either. There was bad route running by receivers a few times too where they clearly ran the wrong route. That comes down to execution not play calling.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I do think we should’ve rein the ball a little more but overall execution left a lot on the field too.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I can’t help but think lots of the issues are still o line related. There was more movement on the line again today. Forsyth started but Peters finished. Was this injury or effectiveness?
Bradford was also out a few plays. Today we saw the 3rd string RT and the #2 RG.
These things certainly affect play calling and play execution. Really hoping Abe Lucas gets back.

NoGain

Reaction score
I thought the play calling was good most of the first half, especially on our first three drives. I became less enthused about it in the second half.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Because dude, the Play-Calls AFTER the first two TD drives WERE Dogsh*t.
It WAS GENO'S ad-lib-play in the waning minutes of THIS GAME that put this game away for the Seahawks.
All Accolades for Geno, and NO EXCUSES to the contrary....Geno made it a HUGE COME-BACK-WIN, yes?, no?

Last edited:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
They need to keep the run game going. KW had that huge run then didn't do much the rest of the game. Charbonnet was doing well late, but still only had 5 carries. Combined they had 13 carries for 120 yards. Why didn't they keep running instead of letting Geno throw 37 times?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Because dude, the Play-Calls AFTER the first two TD drives WERE Dogsh*t.
It WAS GENO'S ad-lib-play in the waning minutes of THIS GAME that put this game away for the Seahawks.
All Accolades for Geno, and NO EXCUSES to the contrary....Geno made it a HUGE COME-BACK-WIN, yes?, no?
That pass to JSN was clearly designed that way. It wasn’t ad lob.

Fade

Reaction score
You can draw up all the plays you want, but if the QB can't read the field, and predetermines where he's going with the ball pre-snap.

Stares down his 1st read, then chucks it up anyway.

What offense would you design around that?

There were open guys all over the field. He had more time to throw today than any other game this season.

They need an upgrade at QB.

hoxrox

Reaction score
When the QB isn't at his best, you run the ball more or you call easy completions to get the offense into a rhythm.

Waldron isn't doing that. Time for Pete to meddle and set him straight.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I think our line did an amazing job. Held a very potent pass rush to one sack and just a few hurries.

Our rushing attack was very effective. We should have used it more.

I think Geno had the yips, despite not having a lot of pressure. I think he just assumed he was going to be seeing a lot of pressure, and it got to his head.